British-led Card Room raided by officials in South Pattaya

webfact

RTP back on the world stage. I think they need an international booking agent. Who knows, perhaps there is a reality TV show in the making here. That is is big bhat. After all, if the American clown, Donald Trump, can do it the RTP certainly can.

What was the law that was being broken?

If, as reports suggest, it is proceeding to court, we will find out what, if any, law was broken in due course.

which reports suggest this is going to court?

My post here - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/892149-british-led-card-room-raided-by-officials-in-south-pattaya/page-27?p=10389662#entry10389662

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unbelievable. dry.png

Case Against Elderly Bridge Players Moves Forward

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen

Staff Reporter

PATTAYA — Thirty-two elderly, bridge-playing foreigners will face the music and must defend their innocence in court, Pattaya police said today.

After a surprise crackdown in which seniors were arrested under an antiquated law made headlines worldwide Thursday, Police said the elderly Westerners are now free on 5,000 baht bonds.

“The case will still have to follow the legal process,” said Col. Sukthat Pumpanmuang, commander of the Pattaya Police Station.

Police did not find evidence of gambling when they raided Alto’s Restaurant and Bar on Wednesday and took the players into custody, but they seized computers on suspicion the players, 26 men and six women, might have been making electronic transfers of money.

The senior citizens were held until the early hours of the morning before being released. The oldest of the suspects is 84. They will all be charged under a law nearly as old.

More here - khaosodenglish

kse.png

-- Khaosod English February 5, 2016

To bad a video re-enactment could not be created for the short stories segment of the Oscars. It would b a sure winner.

How about them suing the police for wrongful arrest, or at the very least for distress caused by the disproportionate action taken and demand a public apology.

I know the BIB is not a brain trust but I think even they have covered the bases on this one. If one of their cases goes south like the 2BB will in time I am sure they got it covered so that they come out smelling like a rose.

Here is an account from a bridgeplayer, in a bridge forum:

http://bridgewinners.com/article/view/confessions-of-a-bridge-criminal/

Wow. Quite an account of the whole matter and basically everything that was expected. A jealous Thai ex-wife tipped off the police that the elderlies were gambling so the 50 strong police raided the place and then trumped up charges when they found out they were wrong. It would be nice to hear that the informer gets whats coming to her for lying.

But this story just further adds to my belief that Thailand is not a place you want to fall foul of as the police act with impunity and aliens will feel the full wrath of whatever laws the police can think up for bribes or to save face. The truth and what is fair and just is irrelevant if a Thai's face is involved. And the things that you can get arrested and charged for are becoming a joke, especially if you are not a local.

I'm glad me and my family all left the country last year when we did. I never wanted me or my family to ever be at the mercy of this corrupt system if any of us were ever involved with the police as a victim or be accused of a crime by anyone, nor do I want my kids being raised in a country where such corruption is the normal mindset of society. After every news story I've read in the last year about Thailand I don't regret moving everyone back to the UK one single bit. Its reputation gets lower by the day as the world is currently paying attention to it.

But good to hear the elderly non signer got released from jail. After 24 hours inside!!!

Not going back to UK, a very very good reason why I will never waste my life in kids...

Wow. Quite an account of the whole matter and basically everything that was expected. A jealous Thai ex-wife tipped off the police that the elderlies were gambling so the 50 strong police raided the place and then trumped up charges when they found out they were wrong. It would be nice to hear that the informer gets whats coming to her for lying.

But this story just further adds to my belief that Thailand is not a place you want to fall foul of as the police act with impunity and aliens will feel the full wrath of whatever laws the police can think up for bribes or to save face. The truth and what is fair and just is irrelevant if a Thai's face is involved. And the things that you can get arrested and charged for are becoming a joke, especially if you are not a local.

I'm glad me and my family all left the country last year when we did. I never wanted me or my family to ever be at the mercy of this corrupt system if any of us were ever involved with the police as a victim or be accused of a crime by anyone, nor do I want my kids being raised in a country where such corruption is the normal mindset of society. After every news story I've read in the last year about Thailand I don't regret moving everyone back to the UK one single bit. Its reputation gets lower by the day as the world is currently paying attention to it.

But good to hear the elderly non signer got released from jail. After 24 hours inside!!!

Not going back to UK, a very very good reason why I will never waste my life in kids...

You don't know what you are missing out on mate. :)

This is exactly what Thailand doesn't need now. The drinking bans on holidays that members of this forum complain so vocally about probably has little or no effect on tourism. Many countries have an assortment of restrictions surrounding the use of alcohol. But the chance of being arrested and held at a police station for hours for doing something that is not only legal, but seen as a positive, intellectual activity in most or all countries is scary. That is not something people at 60 years plus want to experience during retirement or when travelling on holiday. Many will ask themselves: If they do this, what will they do next?

If Thailand wants to destroy its reputation as a peaceful tourist nation and lose some of the most profitable, trouble free tourists around, this is the way to do it. Unfortunately, those in charge of this operation most probably don't have a clue about this, and may well instigate other, equally damaging operations in the future.

The reputataion Thai has is one of wall to wall BarGirLs.

Whats an English Communist. Is it wise to be in the room with one?

This is exactly what Thailand doesn't need now. The drinking bans on holidays that members of this forum complain so vocally about probably has little or no effect on tourism. Many countries have an assortment of restrictions surrounding the use of alcohol. But the chance of being arrested and held at a police station for hours for doing something that is not only legal, but seen as a positive, intellectual activity in most or all countries is scary. That is not something people at 60 years plus want to experience during retirement or when travelling on holiday. Many will ask themselves: If they do this, what will they do next?

If Thailand wants to destroy its reputation as a peaceful tourist nation and lose some of the most profitable, trouble free tourists around, this is the way to do it. Unfortunately, those in charge of this operation most probably don't have a clue about this, and may well instigate other, equally damaging operations in the future.

The reputataion Thai has is one of wall to wall BarGirLs.

It may change now - people will think it's a pensioner's bridge playing paradise. Well, was one.

Jezus why the <deleted> do old age pensioners want to reside in a so called beach resort wich has for years been run by one of the greatest criminal families known on the Thai eastern seaboard.

Even the foreign police volunteers or any expat club in said sexs resort is run by foreign criminals .

No country for old men or woman,retire in <deleted> Benidorm....

Jezus why the <deleted> do old age pensioners want to reside in a so called beach resort wich has for years been run by one of the greatest criminal families known on the Thai eastern seaboard.

Even the foreign police volunteers or any expat club in said sexs resort is run by foreign criminals .

I've heard Brighton is quite nice this time of year as well.

Whats an English Communist. Is it wise to be in the room with one?

Try; http://www.communist-party.org.uk/ You may find out.

The video did not show a heavy handed raid by 50 army and police personnel.- more a stroll through the room to look and learn what was going on, by a handful of people.

The 5,000baht was bail. Since the case has been dropped, the bail money will be returned (most likely by cheque though ) as is par for the course.

Dont blame the police or army -they were only carrying out orders. Blame the instigator.

Maybe - maybe not. The charge on having more then 120 cards maybe has been dropped.

Bur all those that were released signed a confession to gambling. If the police/army are

sufficiently embarrassed they may return the money but that has not been reported.

Probably waiting to see if this heavy handed action that makes them the laughing stock

world wide blows over. My brother in Montreal and my mother in Ontario Canada

both asked me about it when I called them last night. Seems they had a good chuckle

at Thailand's expense. My mother plays bridge weekly and hosts once every couple of

months (two, tables) eight biddies (sharp as tacks) late 70' early 80's.

I really don't know where to start with this one!!

After coming here for the past 15 years (living here for 14 of them) I have seen so many ridiculous and stupid things, and in the early days used to find some scenarios intriguing.

This one though has truly taken the biscuit!!!!

The real problem though isn't the old folk playing an innocent game of bridge, nor is it the number of officials and resources used in this, "raid" (although the second point is clearly overkill).

The problems here are;

1) there was a tip off regarding foreign criminal activity which had to be followed up (no matter how ludicrous) or loss of face appears.

2) there was a good chance of extracting money from the OAP's for committing the heinous crime.

3) someone in authority has authorized the, "raid" and in Thai culture nobody is allowed to question that decision.

4) the authorizing person got an idea in his / her head, and absolutely no thought went into it before or after authorizing the, "raid".

If you pay attention to anything in Thailand, from any form of construction, public services, management, etc, etc, etc, you will notice that the above four problems occur on a daily, hourly, and minutely basis in one way or another.

What this particular case has managed to do is grab the attention of the the nation (and hopefully much further afield) and highlight the gross stupidity that is taking place here on a regular basis.

Archaic and ridiculous laws on on the books in every country, Thailand is no exception. When I was in high school in Virginia, I took my art class girlfriend out into the country to draw an old grist mill. On the way. we stopped at a local store to buy some art paper. It was against the law to buy unlined paper on Sundays. Yeah, that's right, unlined paper; lined paper was fine. Since we had no paper on which to draw, but we did have our picnic lunch and a blanket; what else were two teenagers to do?

If charges have been dropped, why must they appear in court?

very good question, I wonder if this has something to do with the police haging on to the bail money? has the bail money already been refunded?

You completely missed the point I was making.

The charges have NOT been dropped.This isn't about the bail money as much as it is about actually being charged and having to make a defense.

PATTAYA — Thirty-two elderly, bridge-playing foreigners will face the music and must defend their innocence in court, Pattaya police said today.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1454652034&section=12&typecate=06

If charges have been dropped, why must they appear in court?

very good question, I wonder if this has something to do with the police haging on to the bail money? has the bail money already been refunded?

The purpose of the bail money is to make sure they attend the court hearing. Then it will be returned. Obviously if they are found guilty a fine is likely to be payable.

The Army, Pattaya Police and District Officials are now faced with "losing face". whistling.gif

Perhaps they could just call it a training exercise? Save face all round.

And what a total misuse of resources. Surely there are more important issues to be dealt with? I would list them, but I do not have all day in which to type!

LOS = Land of Stupidity? Just trying to find a reason why they did this sad.png

The Army, Pattaya Police and District Officials are now faced with "losing face". whistling.gif

Perhaps they could just call it a training exercise? Save face all round.

And what a total misuse of resources. Surely there are more important issues to be dealt with? I would list them, but I do not have all day in which to type!

LOS = Land of Stupidity? Just trying to find a reason why they did this sad.png

I guess we won't know if face has been lost until the outcome of the court case is known.

The number of retired westerners in Pattaya seems to be on the rise, and for many good reasons. It's an easy place to stay, cheap, an abundance of excellent food, enough hospitals, supermarkets with western food, 20 plus golf courses, close to the sea, easy access to the airport etc.

Oh... and you can play bridge there cheesy.gif

On another thread it was reported that 2 plane loads of bridge players have cancelled their flights and are going elsewhere.

Not sure if this is the Norwegian group that organizes a tournament in Jomtien.

So to round it off 200 people not pouring say 100,000 baht each into the economy.

Pattaya and Hua Him bridge clubs closed until further notice probably with more to follow.

And is it likely that those people will return in the future?

Because one pissed off person decided to take out her anger on a restaurant employee.

Archived