TOT or VT1

willyumcr

For the last month I have been experiencing daily loss of internet. Sometimes for 20 minutes, sometimes for 3 hours. Strange as Skype works with people on line but other contacts don't show up, desk top weather sometimes works however unable to open any websites even though it says I am on line. In other words very weak signal. I am in VT1 and just curious if other people experiencing same. I took it to Pattaya2u and even though they did not charge me, they could not find anything wrong. Possibly part of the government thing?? Also I am using Windows 7 so maybe something to do with that? I am using WiFi and sometimes when laptop not working I am getting a weak signal on phone. Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

I read your post again and again and still not quite sure what the situation is.

You live in VT1 and you do internet via a public ToT WiFi hotspot?

Or is it a WiFi connection supplied by the condo management?

From the symptoms you describe and the visit at the computer store, I am quite sure:

Nothing to do with Win7.

Nothing to do with "government".

"weak phone signal": does it mean that also your WiFi signal at the laptop is weak at the same time?

Have you tried moving around your laptop in the building area and check whether there is a better signal?

If its only about the signal, then you would need an external (USB) WiFi adapter with antenna.

Yes, I guess not enough information. It is a connection from TOT to a modem in my condo through phone line. Then I have a router in my room to use to different devices.Phone, Kindle GF phone. When I say weak signal it is because Skype is still Green and not blue as when no signal. Phone signal is not weak as far as phone just the internet on phone. Sometimes laptop says connected but nothing works like Email but works on the phone. I guess what I was looking for is that someone here in VT1 maybe has same problem and maybe it is the phone lines carrying the signal to the rooms. I really don't know and I am not a tech for this stuff. Hope this answered some of your questions and thanks.

Is your TOT modem dropping the ISP then trying to re assign it The older TOT modems will sometimes do this.

In which case the wifi to your phone will still work but the hard link to your computer will not

Have not called TOT yet but will tomorrow. Thought it might be a computer problem. Yes Rimmer it appears that the modem is dropping and trying to reassign the ISP and I do have an older modem from TOT about 6 years now. However the modem is not hard wired into laptop. The modem is connected to router and everything is using WIFI. Does that make sense?

The modem sounds like a good place to start looking, Its a two minute job to set it up again if you know how or the girl in the local TOT office will do it very quickly for you.

I had very similar problems to you on my older modem and they upgraded it FOC but even if you have to buy they are less than 1000 baht and give a better performance and better wif fi coverage.

I had once about 2 years ago with TOT-router some sort of "router virus" and my dns settings or some other important settings got changed all the time..Newer found any virus from my pc-machine. Problem was resolved when i stopped using the machine from TOT, and bought new one from tuckom..

This was also at VT 1..

Thanks for all this information. I called 1100 and they said they would try to fix there on there end and if not would send out someone. When I called them my internet was out. 20 minutes later it is now working. I will wait a day or so to see if they fixed or come out. If not I will take advice and buy a new modem. Can you recommend which modem you brought? Thanks

Latest update. TOT called back and said they checked the wiring and everything OK. Recommended I change out modem as you posters have suggested. Thanks for your help and I am sure this will correct the problem. Guess I should have called them first but now I know.

On Friday at 2pm I ordered a new TP Link modem / router from Lazada and big surprise I received it Saturday at 11am. Set it up and worked good until Saturday night. Now I am still experiencing the same problems. I called TOT again this morning and the girl said she was reporting it again same as before. Hopefully they will send someone out to check on it. Anyway doesn't seem like it was the modem but my other one was 6 years old and cheap enough to change. After resetting the modem this morning (lost internet during Superbowl) it is now still working but don't know for how long.

If you have to buy a new modem the new model TP Link from TOT is less than 1000 baht and they will configure it for you on the spot.

I didn't see your post until after I brought on line at Lazada. Still 1,030 baht. Now I see at 1,300 baht. TP Link TD-W8961ND. Thanks for your sugestion

Oh dear you are having fun and games sad.png

I have two TP-Link TD-W8961ND modem router they are identical except the new one from TOT has the upgraded software in it and does not loose the IP, the old one has the old software in it and looses the IP often and has to be re configured until the next time. I now do not use the old one because it of this. TOT know the problem with the software in the older modems, maybe you have the old software version? .

Hope they sort it out for you when they come.

Oh dear you are having fun and games sad.png

I have two TP-Link TD-W8961ND modem router they are identical except the new one from TOT has the upgraded software in it and does not loose the IP, the old one has the old software in it and looses the IP often and has to be re configured until the next time. I now do not use the old one because it of this. TOT know the problem with the software in the older modems, maybe you have the old software version? .

Hope they sort it out for you when they come.

OK Rimmer, I checked on the back of the router and I have V3 (V3.1). After going on the internet I see where the latest is V4, There are instructions for downloading and installing the newer version but I think I will wait to see if TOT comes out first. If not I will attempt to do it myself. Maybe I could take it in to TOT and see if they can or will do the upgrade?

Edited by Rimmer