Problem At BKK Airport [Multiple Entry Tourist Visa]

Hey,

So I have a lot of free time and income from abroad so I travel / spend a lot of time out my home country but I still officially live there (home address, bank account, business registered and taxed there).

Last year I spent around 9 months in Thailand on a triple entry tourist visa issued from London (with breaks of 3-7 days in other countries between each entry) before going home for 4 months. In the 3 or 4 years previous ti that I've spent anywhere from 3 months to 9 months in Thailand on various tourist visas.

Last week I was flying back into Bangkok after 4 days outside of Thailand.

Soon as I got half way down my queue I knew I'd picked the wrong one as the officer was giving EVERYONE a hard time.

No one passed without incident and the person in front was sent off to speak to the supervisor because he'd lost his boarding pass from the flight he'd just left (probably left it on the plane thinking it was no longer needed...why would it be? I imagine many do this).

She spent a while looking at my passport (new as of last year with only 2 Thailand visas in it and a bunch of other stamps and visa from countries in the region) and eventually asked me why I was in Thailand.

Tried to explain my situation but she wasn't that interested and told me the computer had flagged up that I'd done 4 visa extensions in a year (I guess she means a 12 month period as I've only done ONE this year) and that I had to talk to her boss.

Her boss turned up and was very nice, younger girl, who took me to another desk and asked why I was here. Explained that I have a business abroad that allows me a lot of free time and has passive income so I travel a lot and spend time in Thailand often.

Told her I could show her my business documents showing I'm registered and taxed in home country and bank accounts showing overseas income but she didn't want to see them.

Instead was asked if had any flights out the country. I did, I'm flying to Laos in 3 months and have flight home in August.

This satisfied her but she warned (politely) that I "might" not get a further extension if I apply for one and that I "may not" be able to use my 3rd entry. I asked for clarification on the rules but none was given just told the computer flags up 4 extensions in 1 year.

I asked how I could avoid any problems and if there was a solution to this but none was offered.

Seemed there was no concrete answers on number of extensions / visits / time spent in Thailand and there's nothing set in stone that can be done / shown to immigration to provide them with proof you can fund your stay and not here to work (which I believe is where the issue stems?)

I would love to see out my whole triple entry visa here and stay for the whole 9 months (give or take a week or two) but it doesn't seem certain I will be given extensions or allowed back in....at least without being grilled with is inconvenient and unpleasant especially if you've just had a long haul flight.

If I can't see the whole 9 months out it's not a huge deal. I'm not tied to Thailand in any way I just like it here.

So can anyone clarify what the rules actually are (if they exist) on extensions / visits / duration of stay?

And what I can do to give the best chance of getting an extension on this current visa and back in to use my 3rd entry when needed?

Thanks

• Like 1

• There are no official (announced) limits on tourist visa extensions (other than one per entry), visits or the cumulative duration of stay.
  • I think if you go to immigration you will get another extension and you'll be able to use your third entry as long as it's on or before the 'enter before' date.

Since 2006 immigration have been cracking down on long term "tourists" so this report doesn't surprise me at all!

whistling.gif There are no more double or triple entry tourist visas.

They were stopped on November 15th 2015, and replaced by a new Multiple Entry Tourist Visa which has it's own requirements you need to meet to be issued one.

Now on the old triple entry tourist visa(no longer issued) there was a date that said "must enter before.....(Date).

That date meant that ALL 3 ENTRIES must be used before that "must enter before" date.....which was often 180 days after the visa was ISSUED.

f you had not used your 3rdentry before that "must enter before" date you lost your 3rd entry....entry voided.

Not sure if that is what happened or not

No one passed without incident and the person in front was sent off to speak to the supervisor because he'd lost his boarding pass from the flight he'd just left (probably left it on the plane thinking it was no longer needed...why would it be? I imagine many do this).

Never do this....with your boarding pass information immigration can check the date and arrival time of the flight you entered Thailand on and tell when you entered Thailand if they have any questions on date and time you arrived in Thailand.

• Like 2

That's not what happened at all.

I have a valid triple entry visa in my passport.

I was using my 2nd entry and was allowed to do so after question.

My visa is still well within the use before date and have plenty of time yet to do the 3rd entry before that date

It's nothing to Di with not having correct visa or visa being expired.

EDIT:

Just to be 100% clear as maybe i wasn't in the OP i have a valid triple entry tourist visa issued from London before they stopped them. Not a new "multiple entry" one. I've used the wrong terminology in my title.

I was using my second entry of the 3 and was able to do so.

My visa is well within the use before date.

Can't seem to edit the original post.

Edited by TheSpade

They make you buy flight tickets to round you up; but the only safe border runs are lands and not all of them.

They are putting pressure on people on tourist visa so they buy the Elite visa which is the only one that guaranties you peace now

Swampy or Don Muang?

Edited by BangkokKen
  • Like 1

If you are of an age where a retirement extension can be obtained then this could keep immigration off your back. The extension together with a multiple exit re-entry stamp (visa ??) would make life a lot easier. Only problem is that you'd need to be in Thailand on the anniversary of the extension in order to renew it. Good luck.

this is one thing that bothers me about thailand....at times there are no clear cut rules, and it's up to the IO to decide....

enforce the rules universally and have them written down.... none of this up to the officer stuff.

HAHA. Seriously?

You mean like the US laws that Marijuana is illegal but everyone is smoking it and buying it at shops.

But, now you are talking Thailand. I am not saying it is right but, they do as they please. Get use to it or don't come.

so you stayed nine months last year and Thailand. Just try staying in another country more than six months without paying income tax or becoming a resident. Up to now Thailand has been one of the easiest places for long-term stay and emigration is simply trying to come in line with other countries, which normally consider six months the maximum stay for a tourist.

Long-term tourists here have been living in a "fools paradise" . You cannot blame emigration because they're having a real job trying to sort things out with proper emigration procedures. I don't think there's any country easier for genuine retirees or people married to Thais. You should appreciate the fact that you don't have to pay tax here. If you retire to Australia or New Zealand for example, you will have to pay tax on your full income.

Provided you are not earning an income there Cambodia doesn't charge tax and you can stay there very easily for one year. ermm.gif

• Like 2

Get the feeling Udom Joe is going to be really busy in the near future. Thai immigration has all the warmth and hospitality of a mined field. It really sounds like interpretation of the immigration laws is happing at the lowest levels.

Edited by yellowboat

Absolute nonsense. the OP is the type of person Thailand needs . He has the income and wants to spend it in Thailand. If Immigration keeps up this charade all the money will flow to other countries. Thailand is a developing country and is attempting to invoke a developed countries immigration policy. A huge mistake. There is already a flow of former expats to other countries and it will continue until the authorities get the word as expats vote with their feet. Thailand's reputation is already suffering from a poor Immigration policy; police raids on senior citizens and an increase on crime against foreigners as well as the usual scams.

They don't need farangs anymore they have Chinese.

Chinese tour tourists don't drink; don't do drugs, don't patron brothels, don't overstay and don't commit crimes.

They just come, spend money and GO!

the answer to your story and many other like this is the following.

I has nothing to do with VIsa or permission of a Visa.

It has to do with the overall period in ainy given time of a year. Do not confuse year with the calendar year (! Jan to 31 Dec)

if you are in a period of more then days in a year /2 + 1 then you are actually living the the area you are in and actually moved to it.

this means a period of is more the 183 days or (184 days if the year has 366)

the small breaks have no influence.

SO in 365 day they look at where you spend the most days. Therefore if you have more the 183 days in a Thailand as you also confirm yourselfs in your case then you actually live in Thailand. Tjhs is not only for country also for the actual house address.

The same rule you have in Europe Union too.

Immigration did do correct and treated you very polite .

Prevent problems use the RIGHT VISA. the best is that you apply for the correct visa instead of the tourist visa mis use.

good luck.

• Like 1

It has to do with the overall period in ainy given time of a year. Do not confuse year with the calendar year (! Jan to 31 Dec)

if you are in a period of more then days in a year /2 + 1 then you are actually living the the area you are in and actually moved to it.

SO in 365 day they look at where you spend the most days. Therefore if you have more the 183 days in a Thailand as you also confirm yourselfs in your case then you actually live in Thailand. Tjhs is not only for country also for the actual house address.

Prevent problems use the RIGHT VISA. the best is that you apply for the correct visa instead of the tourist visa mis use.

good luck.

You are writing about being considered resident for tax if you live in a country over 183 days. That only concerns the tax man and has absolutely nothing to do with immigration.

• Like 2

If you can afford it (500K) ... and are willing to afford it ... and you want a 5 year no hassle, come-&-go as you please visa, then get the Thai Elite Visa. Then you can come in and out of Thailand as many times as you please without any problems with Thai immigration. Instead of being eyed suspiciously and ill treated, you get the opposite, "elite" treatment.

Or, if you're 50 y.o. or older, get a retirement visa. It's not as trouble free as TEV, but it has many of the same benefits.

• Like 1

DELETED

There is no rule dictating how long one stay in Thailand. No 183 days law, it's your invention.

There is no "right visa" for the OP, he has the correct one already. He was given an hard time for no reason.

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming
  • Like 2

Some I.O's make up the rules as they go along.It appears to be somewhat arbitrary. Someone who is retired might elect to travel around Asia, visiting LOS many times in the process. He/she should not need a Visa for short stays and might not have a spare £5000 already sitting in the Bank for the previous 6 months, just in case !! The METV requirements were a great shock to many people. who had been led to believe that it would be an answer to their prayers, encouraged by the Thai Press, then found it penalized certain nationals, especially British !

Absolute nonsense. the OP is the type of person Thailand needs . He has the income and wants to spend it in Thailand. If Immigration keeps up this charade all the money will flow to other countries. Thailand is a developing country and is attempting to invoke a developed countries immigration policy. A huge mistake. There is already a flow of former expats to other countries and it will continue until the authorities get the word as expats vote with their feet. Thailand's reputation is already suffering from a poor Immigration policy; police raids on senior citizens and an increase on crime against foreigners as well as the usual scams.

I agree. I myself am an engineering contractor. USA resident. But I often have breaks in my assignments and so for many years I would jet off to Thailand for one month occasionally two months while waiting on my next assignment. I just do the Visa Exempt thingy as 30 days with on border run has been all I needed. Once I traveled 3 times in a year, but usually one or two visits at the most. If a person wants to spend 3 months or more in Thailand and brings in external money to spend there, gosh, what other type of tourist do they want? Group tour cheapies? High end arranged tours that I hate, since I prefer to do things on my own schedule.

• Like 1

Thing is

If an IO has decided you can't come in, knowing that it is not what's written in the text law, is not going to help you.

What we need to know is how the way THEY apply law.

If any immigration officer decides that 4 tourist entries is the limit; there NOTHING we can do, so no point of telling ourselves it's 'not right"

Edited by BangkokKen

Thing is

If an IO has decided you can't come in, knowing that it is not what's written in the text law, is not going to help you.

What we need to know is how the way THEY apply law.

If any immigration officer decides that 4 tourist entries is the limit; there NOTHING we can do, so no point of telling ourselves it's 'not right"

But in this case no IO had decided the OP could not come in. I think they only wanted to a power show including the supervisor, even if in a friendly way.

If they wanted to make it really difficult for the OP they could have asked for Bt 20,000 in cash, or claim he was to work in Thailand. These would be legal reasons to deny entry, but they did not even got close to that.

Another thing. Immigration can't be very casuual sending back people at the airport without a good and legal cause, because if the Airline has carried the person with a valid passport and visa, the airline cannot be fined and forced to bring him/her back. The person will have to pay and even if Immigration could not care less about that, each person more at the mini-detention center at the airport is more issues and work for them.

There is no rule dictating how long one stay in Thailand. No 183 days law, it's your invention.

There is no "right visa" for the OP, he has the correct one already. He was given an hard time for no reason.

There are several visa options for the OP. None of them are as cheap and easy as a tourist visa or visa exempt.

He may have been given a hard time for no published black and white reason. It may suck. But that's the reality of it. The writing's been on the wall for at least a couple of years. If you're planning to be a de-facto resident of Thailand, the tourist visa, visa exempt and visa on arrival are going to cause scrutiny at immigration. What constitutes a de-facto resident seems to be subject to political winds and the mood of the IO and their supervisors.

Accept it and plan accordingly, or get ready for a major disappointment.

A visa exempt entry of course is free.

I don't think his other options for a visa will cost more that getting tourist visas for entry. A multiple entry non-o visa would only be 5000 baht and it can give a total stay of 15 months, To get the same stay on tourist visas would cost much more than that.