Thai Bankruptcy Court sets March 14 for first hearing of scholarship cheat case

webfact

Bankruptcy Court sets March 14 for first hearing of scholarship cheat case

286984-imagepng-448053-wpcf_728x413.png

BANGKOK: -- The Central Bankruptcy Court has scheduled the first hearing of the scholarship obligation case which a female dentist was sued by the state for 30 million baht compensation on March 14.

The dentist, Ms Dolrudee Jumlongras, was sued by the Office of the Attorney-General after she refused to return home to fulfil her scholarship obligations after completing her Master’s and PhD studies at Harvard University.

The OAG lodged the lawsuit with the Central Bankruptcy Court last December 21 after the Office of Higher Education Commission (OHEC) sent the case to it last September 24.

In the bankruptcy suit, it accused Ms Dolrudee Jumlongras of owing the OHEC of 30 million baht for the costs of the overseas studies plus fines and 7 percent interest.

Prior to taking the case to the OAG, the OHEC had asked Mahidol University where the dentist worked before leaving for the United States for her post-graduate studies to check whether she holds any assets in Thailand. It was discovered that she has no assets and, therefore, the OAG proceeded to take legal action against her.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/149709

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-05

I could be wrong, but I do not believe the US would entertain an extradition proceeding on the basis of what is normally considered a civil action in the US.
It depends of course on the terms of any treaty between the two nations.
The guarantors have already ponied up for the eight million, and I think I recall that the dentist had sent one smallish payment to them. They are the losers here, and of course possibly future students (and their patients) who may have greater difficulty finding benefactors.
Is there anything constructive in this suit besides ensuring she will never return to Thailand? It seems from a purely business stand point to be sending further money down the drain.

Lie cheat and steal, some do it to falangs, but some will do it to their countrymen...

There's some scuttlebutt getting round that she just bought a house in the US for millions$$$$$$.

Borrowing money and after a Harvard education don't want to pay back the money, Now THAT is maleficence and a real scumbag.....

In this case (but not to often) I think it quite right that Thailand should request and be granted an extradition for her cheating ass.

I could be wrong, but I do not believe the US would entertain an extradition proceeding on the basis of what is normally considered a civil action in the US.

The guarantors have already ponied up for the eight million, and I think I recall that the dentist had sent one smallish payment to them. They are the losers here, and of course possibly future students (and their patients) who may have greater difficulty finding benefactors.

Is there anything constructive in this suit besides ensuring she will never return to Thailand? It seems from a purely business stand point to be sending further money down the drain.

Of course extradition is only possible in criminal cases. It seems like the university did exactly what Thai banks tend to do which is to just go after the guarantors because that represents the least effort for them. Some new legislation makes it a bit harder for banks to do that but not for universities. They also waited till the statute of limitation was nearly up before attempting to recover anything. Apparently Dr 'Porsche' was able to return to Thailand and dispose of all assets in her own name in the Kingdom, leaving her guarantors up the proverbial. It seems pretty obvious she did all this deliberately because she assumed she could get away with it. The sum of money involved should not have been too difficult for a Harvard professor with some lucrative private practice on the side to pay over the lengthy period of time. Presumably her American husband is not a pauper either.

Yes, she should have returned and practised in Thailand or coughed up the money so other students could have had the same opportunities.

I assume they can make her bankrupt without her being in court, whether this would affect her credit ratings in the states I do not know, but I am sure when I fill out some forms in the UK I have been asked if I have ever been declared a bankrupt, as far as I know the question has never stated in which country, that could come back to haunt her, may also bite her in the bum if she applies for US or any other nationality, possibly could see even a travel visa refused because she is a bankrupt.

Edited by Basil B

I wonder what travel documents she has as if only a Thai passport cancelling it would cause her considerable problems and the US would likely show her the door but dual nationality changes things completely.

Think you will find she is a US citizen now.....

Yes, she should have returned and practised in Thailand or coughed up the money so other students could have had the same opportunities.

I assume they can make her bankrupt without her being in court, whether this would affect her credit ratings in the states I do not know, but I am sure when I fill out some forms in the UK I have been asked if I have ever been declared a bankrupt, as far as I know the question has never stated in which country, that could come back to haunt her, may also bite her in the bum if she applies for US or any other nationality, possibly could see even a travel visa refused because she is a bankrupt.

It's already been stated clearly that he became a full USA citizen years ago.

It's already been stated clearly that he became a full USA citizen years ago.

Maybe one day she will want a mortgage or a bank loan.

If they didn't do this she could just walk back into the country which wouldn't be right so I think they've done the right thing. I don't know if she visits family in Thailand but I assume that would have to stop.

Having worked for dentists for many years I know that this idea that many of them have that they shouldn't have to pay for things if they don't want to isn't that unusual.

Pity they can't get some publicity about this in the US.

If they didn't do this she could just walk back into the country which wouldn't be right so I think they've done the right thing. I don't know if she visits family in Thailand but I assume that would have to stop.

Having worked for dentists for many years I know that this idea that many of them have that they shouldn't have to pay for things if they don't want to isn't that unusual.

Pity they can't get some publicity about this in the US.

Maybe they could...

Try suing her in the American courts first... probably they would not succeed but she just my come to an arrangement to avoid any publicity that would give any lenders, current or future the jitters, and that agreement would be binding in the states.