Diving restricted in Phi Phi following speedboat accident

snoop1130

Diving restricted in Phi Phi following speedboat accident
Kongleaphy Keam

post-249866-0-59255900-1454667981_thumb.

PHUKET: -- Diving in the Phi Phi archipelago has been limited to three dive sites following an incident on Wednesday when a speedboat seriously injured two Russian divers.

“We will be strictly enforcing the rule that allows diving only at Loh Samah Bay, Bida Nai and Bida Nok,” said Boonnam Chuyradom, assistant chief of Hat Noppharat Thara – Mu Ko Phi Phi National Park. “All dive companies are aware of this. However, they regularly disobey the rules and dive anywhere they want.”

Those found diving outside of these areas face a fine of up to 1,000 baht, said Mr Boonnam.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Diving-restricted-Phi-Phi-following-speedboat-accident/63074?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-02-05

I see that the Gazette states the captain is 22 years old, as it did in its original article. The other publication stated the captain was older than that.

If correct, then what is a 22 year old doing in charge of a speedboat full of tourists in a busy area such as this?

So ... the divers face fines and the dive companies and boat captains get off scott free ...

Only in Amazing Thailand ...

No chance, the boat operators will be fined.

Let's hope so ... but we will all have to wait and see ... at most 1,000 baht fine .. not really any sort or detterent ...

Edited by LivinginKata

So ... the divers face fines and the dive companies and boat captains get off scott free ...

No chance, the boat operators will be fined.

Let's hope so ... but we will all have to wait and see ... at most 1,000 baht fine .. not really any sort or detterent ...

No, we won't have to wait and see, fined were handed out today already, and more than 1000 baht. Also check of all paperwork, work permits, etc.

No, we won't have to wait and see, fined were handed out today already, and more than 1000 baht. Also check of all paperwork, work permits, etc.

I await a news report confirming this and amout of fine ... waiting waiting ..

I await a news report confirming this and amout of fine ... waiting waiting ..
You can wait a long time. But fines were issued today, I know the operators and the instructors. Edited by stevenl

How about Speedboats restricted in Phi Phi following speedboat accident ?

Muppets.

Not going to happen.

Those speedboats take people into Maya Bay, where if they go on the beach have to pay national park fees. With thousands of people there paying those fees every day a lot of money is involved, whereas the divers pay nothing.

I heard on the radio that the injured Russian had his leg amputated. They couldn't save it.

Terrible injury to live with while the captain will escape with a fine.

I think earlier photos while still at the pier the leg was merely placed where it should have been because

in pics I saw of the patient being wheeled into the hospital, that right leg was already severed at the knee, and laying alongside the left thigh at a 90 degree angle with just a sliver of skin left to attach it.

Additionally the right foot was gone at the ankle in a shred type injury. There was essentially just a calf left.

Also, the remaining left foot had the lower third completely removed.

Ghastly, ghastly injuries and would guess the location of the right leg amputation at the knee (and missing foot) prohibited any hopes of reattachment-or at least that wouldn't cause a great deal of pain for the rest of the man's life.

Edited by Moonsterk

There are so many things wrong with this... So many... What a pathetic attempt to try to "appease" the public.

I can only try to imagine how I would feel, waking up in hospital with an amputated leg ( and half a foot on the other?) and finding that as a result of this horrific incident, authorities had implement a thirty dollar fine... Outrageous.

I did not see where the skipper of the errant boat was being punished, but a 22 year old skipper speeding into a dive zone to check out a divers bouy... Unbelievably stupid and negligent... There should be no three strikes for this, he should go straight to jail ( I'm sure there are rules/ laws in the license qualification requirement)

Speed zones should be in place in all shallow waters around phi phi etc for all water users safety

It's just so wrong on so many levels... And the usual TIT just doesn't cover it

The only positive here is that there is feedback and implementation of something, even if it's something stupid and pathetic.

^ I don't think this was shallow water but certainly a young, presumably reckless boat driver was the major factor in this incident. Was he tested for drug use is what I have not seen reported. And it is not reported he was captain of a dive boat, only was operating a speedboat the Sunsan 2...

If the dive site is not clearly marked, then how do the boats know ?

Simple mark the area.

The divers floated buoy to warn people that they were surfacing, but when the two men floated their buoy, a speedboat came into the area to check what was going on.

“That was when the two divers came up and were hit by the propeller,” he said.

http://www.samuitimes.com/russian-divers-leg-slashed-off-by-speedboat-propeller-on-phi-phi-diving-trip/

Edited by Moonsterk

Sites are open again at least for the moment, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/892847-phi-phi-park-chief-allows-additional-dive-sites/

The Phi Phi dive operators forced this by collectively going to the not allowed sites today. Seems there is a power game going on there at the moment, no idea how it is going to end.

Edited by stevenl

I thought the same thing, then said to myself, no, it's just another example of the bottom-of-the-ladder level of reporting and writing.

Let's get this straight...

The issue is that there are too many divers and dive boats operating in small areas with unprofessional and untrained crews that do not know or follow any safety procedures or government regulations which frequently results in injuries or death to tourists...

Solution: Concentrate ALL of the dive operators into three areas to increase the number of boats and divers operating in close quarters....

<deleted> Brilliant.

Only in Thailand.