Thais move to register migrant workers. “schizophrenic short-term face-saving policies” activists

geovalin

Thai authorities have announced that they are launching renewed efforts to document illegal migrant workers across Thailand, in what observers say is part of a continuing crackdown on unregistered migrants there, an estimated hundreds of thousands of whom come from neighbouring Cambodia. Arak Phrommanee, head of the Department of Employment, said that staff from his department would begin a nationwide search through industrial zones for illegal migrants. Migrant workers caught without proper work permits, he said, would face harsh punishments, though he did not specify what those would be.

Employers caught harbouring unregistered migrants risked having their businesses shuttered. They could also be fined $2,800 per worker, with fines as high as $11,215 per worker in the fishing industry. Thailand has faced stiff international criticism for its atrocious regulation of migrants working at sea, some of whom have been trafficked into slavery. The Thai cabinet on Tuesday decided to extend a registration period for Burmese, Laotian and Cambodian workers in the fishing industry until the end of July. Andy Hall, a migration expert and activist based in Thailand and Myanmar, lambasted the recent announcement as another instance of “schizophrenic short-term face-saving policies” from Thai officials.

source: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/thais-move-register-migrant-workers

Well boo hoo. They 'register' all of us farangs and require us to report our address every 90 days and show up to immigration every year to prove we are worthy enough to remain in this 'paradise'. Personally, they can kick me out. But the damage they do to my immediate Thai family and extended Thai family by marriage would be -- well, back to poverty.

Edited by connda

Well boo hoo. They 'register' all of us farangs and require us to report our address every 90 days and show up to immigration every year to prove we are worthy enough to remain in this 'paradise'. Personally, they can kick me out. But the damage they do to my immediate Thai family and extended Thai family by marriage would be -- well, back to poverty.

Amazing how causality is always perverted in this Country by the powers that be.

If they want to reduce the GDP of Thailand significantly, they seem to be going about how they treat Foreigners the right way.

Serious mental issues, en mass, must exist to drive them on.

Amazing how causality is always perverted in this Country by the powers that be.

If they want to reduce the GDP of Thailand significantly, they seem to be going about how they treat Foreigners the right way.

Serious mental issues, en mass, must exist to drive them on.

Uh...this is all smoke and mirrors, the pretense designed to fool the west into thinking actions are being taken to prevent slave labor, so please order more shrimp.