Investing for Income (dividends and/or interest)

Invested before for "capital growth" via Friends Prov and Royal Skandia Bonds, did not work out, not looking to do the same again.

This time, I am looking to invest for "income", either by way of dividend and/or interest return, with minimal to nil comissions/fees etc ?

Trying to achieve a 5% return.

How have you done your investment ?

Edited by ArranP

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a change from your strategy. Does this mean that also something has changed wrt your income ?

my strategy ?

No changes with my income , looking to reduce risk.

Edited by ArranP

Have a look at JASIF.

At the present price it is returning 9-10% yearly. Dividends are paid quarterly and are taxfree (10 years).

Buy after XD Feb 11.

Trading 10% below NAV. So IMO there is a possible upside in the unit price.

Alternatively check CPNRF.

Have a long history of paying good dividends, 10% tax and also paid quarterly.

Trading at NAV + 50%.

Have a look at JASIF.

At the present price it is returning 9-10% yearly. Dividends are paid quarterly and are taxfree (10 years).

Buy after XD Feb 11.

Trading at NAV + 50%.

Are these shares purchased direct or via a third party ?

Have a look at JASIF.

Buy after XD Feb 11.

Trading at NAV + 50%.

Are these shares purchased direct or via a third party ?

Traded directly on SET. So no commission except from the trading commission.

Both the mentioned funds have a high daily turnover, so easy to trade.

To get a little more information have a look at www.settrade.com. On the main page go to the top right hand corner "Get Quote", type JASIF or CPNRF and you will get, all the information you need.

I have an advisor who puts no more than 3% of my portfoilio's value into a variety of income securities. If you concentrate your investment into just one or two funds it could be very dangerous. For example, I have (had) about 15% of my portfolioinvested in the Fairholme Fund. On December 11th, the fund paid out half of its value in one giant capital gain. Its share price promptly dropped the amount of the distribution and continued going down $3.00 more. Although my capital gain and dividend was reinvested, I lost about $60,000 from the fund's value on December 10th. Whether and when the fund's share price will go back up to where it was is a matter of speculation. So now I'm left with a fund whose share price is half of what it was and a $12,000 tax bill. This happened with no warning although the pros probably saw it coming. My advisor controls the remainder of my investments and charges me about 1% per year to do that.

In short, you can incur unexpected losses despite your best efforts to invest wisely. There are funds and advisors around who can get you 5%+ plus for a fee. I'm left with nearly 5% per year after the fee. Google "income investing." Good luck.

I think I'm looking to invest in bonds, the london stock exchange lists UK bonds, but as a non resident, tax has to be paid to HMRC on the interest from these bonds. Where lists bonds that can be purchased offshore ?

I have an advisor who puts no more than 3% of my portfoilio's value into a variety of income securities. If you concentrate your investment into just one or two funds it could be very dangerous. For example, I have (had) about 15% of my portfolioinvested in the Fairholme Fund. On December 11th, the fund paid out half of its value in one giant capital gain. Its share price promptly dropped the amount of the distribution and continued going down $3.00 more. Although my capital gain and dividend was reinvested, I lost about $60,000 from the fund's value on December 10th. Whether and when the fund's share price will go back up to where it was is a matter of speculation. So now I'm left with a fund whose share price is half of what it was and a $12,000 tax bill. This happened with no warning although the pros probably saw it coming. My advisor controls the remainder of my investments and charges me about 1% per year to do that.

In short, you can incur unexpected losses despite your best efforts to invest wisely. There are funds and advisors around who can get you 5%+ plus for a fee. I'm left with nearly 5% per year after the fee. Google "income investing." Good luck.

Ignore the crowd.

I think I'm looking to invest in bonds, the london stock exchange lists UK bonds, but as a non resident, tax has to be paid to HMRC on the interest from these bonds. Where lists bonds that can be purchased offshore ?

no tax on virtually all UK bonds for non-residents!

some Years ago, I got my Hands on a List of ALLavailable dividend paying Stocks and Securities in Thailand

unfortunately, my old Computer was crashin and in that Time I was not aware about any recovery Utility for my lost Datas

maybe someone can post such a List here?

Thanks for the 2 Suggestions

JASIF

Jasmine Broadband Internet Infrastructure Fund

seems to hold quite stable in a 5 Year Range between 8,50 nd 10.39 THB

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/JASIF:TB

CPNRF

CPN Retail Growth Leasehold Property Fund nearly doubled in the last 5 Yeras

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/CPNRF:TB

...I am sure, this Kind of Security was on that mentioned List ...

no tax on virtually all UK bonds for non-residents!

I've learnt that the london stock exchange has the online Order Book for Retail Bonds (ORB) http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/retail-bonds/retail-bonds-search.html which allows individual investors to buy and sell retail bonds.

Where else can corporate bonds be purchased and are listed ? I know they can be bought through funds which in turn are purchased through a bond wrapper, hence fees, but I'm not looking at that.

I'm looking to invest for 15 years, 5% to 6% coupon, then get my money back.

Edited by ArranP

I've learnt that the london stock exchange has the online Order Book for Retail Bonds (ORB) http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/retail-bonds/retail-bonds-search.html which allows individual investors to buy and sell retail bonds.

Where else can corporate bonds be purchased and are listed ? I know they can be bought through funds which in turn are purchased through a bond wrapper, hence fees, but I'm not looking at that.

sorry to disappoint you but there's no exchange anywhere on this planet where investors can buy and sell without an intermediary bank or broker. the "order book" you mentioned provides nothing but online price and volume information.

individual bonds (not wrapped in funds) denominated in any currency (corporate as well as sovereign debtors) can be bought and sold through any "real" bank or broker. that not necessarily via exchanges but most of the time "OTC" (over the counter) from/to a counterpart.

note: trading fees for individual bonds are much lower than trading fees for funds!

Edited by Naam

sorry to disappoint you but there's no exchange anywhere on this planet where investors can buy and sell without an intermediary bank or broker. the "order book" you mentioned provides nothing but online price and volume information.

individual bonds (not wrapped in funds) denominated in any currency (corporate as well as sovereign debtors) can be bought and sold through any "real" bank or broker. that not necessarily via exchanges but most of the time "OTC" (over the counter) from/to a counterpart.

note: trading fees for individual bonds are much lower than trading fees for funds!

where on the internet are bonds listed together with their current price, coupon rate etc ?

where on the internet are bonds listed together with their current price, coupon rate etc ?

try REUTERs

limited list corporate bonds GBP denominated:

https://www.fixedincomeinvestor.co.uk/x/bondtable.html?groupid=4

try REUTERs

neither Reuters nor Bloomberg provides a list the OP requested. bond searches are the other way around, i.e. dozens of websites exist where you enter the debtor's name or the ISIN (international bond idenfication number) and get as a result the bonds issued by that specific debtor.

here's one for US-Dollar denominated bonds:

http://finra-markets.morningstar.com/BondCenter/Default.jsp

then are are half a dozen sites which allow bond search based on preferred currency, coupon, yield and maturity. unfortunately all of them require some German language knowledge. if the OP is really interested i can make a screenshot with the translation added. the website below lists 36,000 bonds:

https://www.comdirect.de/inf/anleihen/selector/selector.html?CLEAR=1

Edited by Naam

You need a new advisor.

The best advisor is yourself.

try REUTERs

neither Reuters nor Bloomberg provides a list the OP requested. bond searches are the other way around, i.e. dozens of websites exist where you enter the debtor's name or the ISIN (international bond idenfication number) and get as a result the bonds issued by that specific debtor.

here's one for US-Dollar denominated bonds:

http://finra-markets.morningstar.com/BondCenter/Default.jsp

then are are half a dozen sites which allow bond search based on preferred currency, coupon, yield and maturity. unfortunately all of them require some German language knowledge. if the OP is really interested i can make a screenshot with the translation added. the website below lists 36,000 bonds:

https://www.comdirect.de/inf/anleihen/selector/selector.html?CLEAR=1

Naam recommended this site some time ago in a previous thread about bonds - http://cbonds.com/

Has a lot of information but unfortunately no prices unless you subscribe - and it is relatively not cheap unless you are trading regularly.

You can buy bonds via most of the UK platforms. Hargreaves Lansdown http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/corporate-bonds-gilts allow you to do this online for UK bonds or via telephone. You can also register for new bond alerts with them although this is generally only for ORB bonds. TD Direct you have to phone and not sure about other UK platforms.

The HL bond price links go to the fixed income investor link that Naam provided and their site also has a small forum where bonds are discussed.

If you want to buy offshore or other than UK bonds I think you would have to use a broker like http://int.tddirectinvesting.com/ but fees tend to be higher.

There are a lot of US energy sector bonds going cheap at the moment.......but will they still be around to pay back your principal........

topt

Naam recommended this site some time ago in a previous thread about bonds - http://cbonds.com/

Has a lot of information but unfortunately no prices unless you subscribe - and it is relatively not cheap unless you are trading regularly.

live prices (including bid/ask volume) are easily available if you have the ISIN from this site:

https://www.consorsbank.de/euroWebDe/-?currentpage=financeinfosHome.Desks.bonds.Desks.snapshot.Desks.snapshotoverview&%24%24event_minisearch=minisearch&%24part=Home.security-search&fieldselector=quote&pattern=US708160BL99&searchSubmit=Suchen&%24part=financeinfosHome.Desks.bonds.Desks.snapshot.Desks.snapshotoverview.ev.PageHead.security-search&%24%24%24event_search=search

enter name or ISIN up right "suche".

Cash is king. Failing that, Australian banks and Telstra have good yields, although you have to be an Australian citizen to get the franking credits. Even without that, yield > 5%.

what are franking credits? huh.png

Cash is king. Failing that, Australian banks and Telstra have good yields, although you have to be an Australian citizen to get the franking credits. Even without that, yield > 5%.

what are franking credits? huh.png

Franking credits I think are peculiar to Australia. The principle behind them is to eliminate double taxation of dividends in the hands of the company and the shareholder.

For example, I have a super fund which pays no tax on earnings in the pension phase. I might get a half-yearly dividend of $2000. If the dividend is fully-franked, the franking credit will be around $700. So at the end of the financial year, after the accountant puts in the super funds' tax return, I get a cheque back from the tax department for $700.

If I am paying tax, my assessable income will be reduced by $700. Australian investors love franking credits, obviously.

Time deposits (CD's) in a Costa Rica govt owned bank. I've banked there since 06. Its a 135 year old bank owned by the State. I used to get 16.9% on time deposits for 1+ years. Fluctuates, now at about 5.85%. Thats in Colones. Dollars pay about a third, or 2%. Doesn't matter though. The Central bank subscribes to a 'band' system. They don't let the exchange rate go beyond 490-610 per dollar.

When I started there. Colon was about 580. Over couple years dropped to 490, and sat there. So I was picking up 16.9% and about 17% on the rate change. Very stable, although I only keep about 20% of my assets in Colones, the interest on that 20% is more than enough to live on.