Thailand: Transit point for smuggling Syrians to Europe

webfact

Thailand: Transit point for smuggling Syrians to Europe

Human rights lawyer says smuggling networks saw opportunity to profit from those fleeing Syrian conflict, with illegal entries believed to match 40-percent increase in legal entries

BANGKOK: -- Smuggling networks are increasingly using Thailand as a transit point for asylum seekers fleeing the Syrian conflict and hoping to reach Europe, some of whom instead land in Thai jails, local media reported Sunday.

Kohnwilai Teppunkoon-ngam, a human rights lawyer following Middle Eastern asylum seeker cases, told the Bangkok Post that “people smuggling networks saw an opportunity to profit from these migrants.”

She said this is the case “because their entry into the country involves several steps, such as obtaining falsified passports and overcoming immigration procedures.”

Full story: http://www.worldbulletin.net/news/169180/thailand-transit-point-for-smuggling-syrians-to-europe

-- WORLD BULLETIN 2016-02-08

Asylum seekers, desperately running for their lives. These people have nothing at all, just threadbare rags covering them. Poor, poor people. And yet they can easily pay 5k US for a dicky passport? Buy international plane tickets? It's another sniff-test fail. Sounds like wealthy criminals attempting to bypass European immigration for whatever reason(although certainly not humanitarian reasons)

Asylum seekers, desperately running for their lives. These people have nothing at all, just threadbare rags covering them. Poor, poor people. And yet they can easily pay 5k US for a dicky passport? Buy international plane tickets? It's another sniff-test fail. Sounds like wealthy criminals attempting to bypass European immigration for whatever reason(although certainly not humanitarian reasons)

Not really, those asylum seekers mostly people with means to pay the people's smugglers thousands

of dollars per head, and have enough money with them to star a new life somewhere else,

so much so, that some EU government want those people to pay for their meal ticket by taking

some or all of their money from them, so yes, some are in a bad way, but most are refugees and

asylum seekers of mostly economic reasons.....

An article such as this should really make the Thai authorities realise that there may be something seriously wrong with the borders......but I guess it's been that way for decades.....why change when it's a pretty good cash cow?

Wouldn't you give up everything you own to get your children out of a war zone and give them some hope of a future?

Again is raises the question ... Why Thailand?

What? Nobody knows?

Perhaps the behemoth amount of corruption?

Just speculating. It certainly does seem to quite a bit out of the way/round-a-bout route from Syria to EU.

It's time to understand the real reasons why it is as it is. There's nothing, where Thailand isn't at least partly involved when it comes to illegal activities.

I wish there're some good looking prostitutes and then marry one, build a huge house(s), a car for all, motorbikes, then finance her gambling addiction, her mom's bad heart, brother's ( Thai husband) life and the expensive medicine from the bad western countries.

Two water buffaloes for the poor daddy in law is a must.2 million baht for a not sod woman, used by thousands of other foreigners before, isn't a lot of money for us westerners, C'Mon.

But wait prostitution is illegal and all was just a dream.And in one dream I saw monks in a Lear Jet, what a nightmare.

Guess they're seeking Asylum in Germany? I had a dream. thumbsup.gif

That was an astoundingly ignorant post, seeking asylum and being extremely poor are not the same thing, did you really think they were? Whether asylum is granted or not has exactly nothing to do with how much money they have and everything to do with whether their life would be at risk if they were to return to their home. Believe it or not, ISIS actually are a threat to peoples lives and having money does not reduce that risk.

Prbkk, excuse me for asking, why those guys want their children to escape a "war zone", and then appear alone in Europe without wife & children.

What guys? Of the refugees fleeing Syria and Iraq who I presume you are referring to; 49.5% are male, 50.5% are female and 51.1% are aged under 17. Now, what are you talking about, oh yeah, just more blatant slander of a people desperate to save the lives of their families from the hands of ISIS.

It's so funny to hear how Thailand is so serious about border security when every criminal Thai and foreigner seem to slip out the country at the same "secured" borders with Cambodia. Bear in mind that not only do they manage to get passed immigration but the army checkpoints too. Doesn't anyone in the Thai government go (unannounced) and check these well known Hotspot of illegal entry?

Edited by Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere

Heck, I want to 'migrate' to Germany, live on the dole, and rape Germany women without legal consequence or sanctions.....................NOT!

There is a small cultural sub-set of people who are being persecuted, primarily Christians, secular Muslims, and non-Sunni Muslims. The primary asylum seekers? Male Sunni Muslims. This stinks to high heaven.

Heck, I want to 'migrate' to Germany, live on the dole, and rape Germany women without legal consequence or sanctions.....................NOT!

There is a small cultural sub-set of people who are being persecuted, primarily Christians, secular Muslims, and non-Sunni Muslims. The primary asylum seekers? Male Sunni Muslims. This stinks to high heaven.

This "small cultural sub-set of people" as you choose to call them are actually over 25% of the population and number about 6 million people. Anyway, why would you not expect to see a majority of Sunni asylum seekers? The reason people are fleeing is not only the persecution of minorities, people are running away from war, they are fleeing because their homes have been bombed, because there is fighting on their streets and because ISIS are terrorizing them and enforcing Sharia law. The only thing that stinks is poorly informed fools attempting to vilify those who choose to escape ISIS.

I hope the do gooders are happy now they have wrecked Europe, and for those who don't believe this try watching the link below.

https://www.facebook.com/John.LOL.French/videos/885731634879590/?fref=nf

Perhaps in the mind of a simpleton that kind of sensationalized crap feels like it actually means something, like something was said, but thankfully my mind is capable of rational thought and so I see through the drama and the scary music and see it for what that really is, Nazi propaganda.

This "small cultural sub-set of people" as you choose to call them are actually over 25% of the population and number about 6 million people. Anyway, why would you not expect to see a majority of Sunni asylum seekers? The reason people are fleeing is not only the persecution of minorities, people are running away from war, they are fleeing because their homes have been bombed, because there is fighting on their streets and because ISIS are terrorizing them and enforcing Sharia law. The only thing that stinks is poorly informed fools attempting to vilify those who choose to escape ISIS.

There is a mix of economic & refuge-seeking people seeking a better or safer place to stay, at least temporarily. The main entry points to Europe - Greece, Italy, Malta, Cyprus & Ukraine - are not capable of determining which is which.

Unfortunately ignorant people tend to lump them all together and of course the hatred of Muslims just adds more fuel to the fire. You are right that the real refugees are fleeing war and virtual hostage under the rule of IS & Al-Qaeda.

There may be some trafficking of refugees via Thailand - more likely Palestinians than Syrians - but it is tiny compared to the numbers that have fled & are still fleeing Syria, Libya, Afghanistan & Iraq via the Mediterranean & Turkey.

I hope the do gooders are happy now they have wrecked Europe, and for those who don't believe this try watching the link below.

Perhaps in the mind of a simpleton that kind of sensationalized crap feels like it actually means something, like something was said, but thankfully my mind is capable of rational thought and so I see through the drama and the scary music and see it for what that really is, Nazi propaganda.

It is certainly a very carefully edited film, which through both imagery and soundbites sets out to create a very scary scenario. Hugely exaggerated? Probably. But Europe does have a major problem now, simply because many of its governments have decided to accept these people, irrespective of whether they are refugees or economic migrants, and have done so without heeding or consulting their populations. The results of migration on this scale will be significant (Cologne on New Years Eve?),are ignored or not discussed by these governments, and are not wanted by the people of Europe . Perhaps for continental Europe it is too late. At least the British Isles have a physical barrier (the sea) which will stop them.

I really cannot see Thailand as a significant transit point in this movement of peoples.

Edited by JAG

It is certainly a very carefully edited film, which through both imagery and soundbites sets out to create a very scary scenario. Hugely exaggerated? Probably. But Europe does have a major problem now, simply because many of its governments have decided to accept these people, irrespective of whether they are refugees or economic migrants, and have done so without heeding or consulting their populations. The results of migration on this scale will be significant (Cologne on New Years Eve?),are ignored or not discussed by these governments, and are not wanted by the people of Europe . Perhaps for continental Europe it is too late. At least the British Isles have a physical barrier (the sea) which will stop them.

Look. It's like that. Some countries overcharge farang. Some don't. Some countries open their borders to refugees, real or fake refugees. Some don't. Some people enjoy life. Some people don't. Some people are mindful and understanding (in regards to the the big picture). Some people are simple and narrowminded. If you don't like the decisions made by your government then VOTE or RESIST (and act!). don't be a <deleted> on some www forum. Thanx!

I really cannot see Thailand as a significant transit point in this movement of peoples.

Neither could anybody else who had even half a brain.

There is no significant movement of people from Syria through Thailand to the EU.

It's just not true.