Internet Banking From A Thai Bank Account?

Do any of the Thai banks offer internet banking capability?

i.e. If I set up an account with, say, Bangkok Bank, can I make online payments (domestic transactions) from my account, even while I'm in the UK. :o

Cheers!

I know bangkok bank does.http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Personal+Banking/Internet+Banking/iBanking+Home.htm

Drat! I don't qualify because I'm a UK resident at the moment:

"Only foreign nationals with a resident Baht account holding a non-immigrant visa along with a valid work permit or certificate of residence are eligible to apply for Bualuang iBanking."

:D

EXACTLY what I discovered. I have a Bangkok Bank account which I use to send money for my Thai family. I can send money into the account, but to access the account by internet I need a password to get in. And the upshot is that I can't get a Bualuang Banking password unless I am resident in Thailand. What good does that do me as I work in Greece?

I'v even thought of getting my Thai Girlfriend to apply for the Bualuang Banking access, and the using her password to try to access the account. I can do everything on-line form here in Greece, but they simply won't let me get a password to access my own account in Bangkok Bank.

Oh well, it's just another fun thing about life in Thailand. (Don't get me wrong, I exept to be retring there in about 2 years. I love the place. Been going there at least twice a year since 1977)

:o

Edited by IMA_FARANG

"Only foreign nationals with a resident Baht account holding a non-immigrant visa along with a valid work permit or certificate of residence are eligible to apply for Bualuang iBanking."

:D

EXACTLY what I discovered. I have a Bangkok Bank account which I use to send money for my Thai family. I can send money into the account, but to access the account by internet I need a password to get in. And the upshot is that I can't get a Bualuang Banking password unless I am resident in Thailand. What good does that do me as I work in Greece?

I'v even thought of getting my Thai Girlfriend to apply for the Bualuang Banking access, and the using her password to try to access the account. I can do everything on-line form here in Greece, but they simply won't let me get a password to access my own account in Bangkok Bank.

Oh well, it's just another fun thing about life in Thailand. (Don't get me wrong, I exept to be retring there in about 2 years. I love the place. Been going there at least twice a year since 1977)

Try another bank??? Siam Commercial, Kasikorn thay all have internet banking and lo limitation as Bangkok Bang, do you have thai partner, let her open the account...

J

This is Thailand :D If you do not get service you want in you bank..Just go and shop around and ask different banks and branches or even different clerk may approve your application with less paperwork than another one

I have accounts with online systems in siam c and in bank of ayudhya..

Only thing what was needed was a passport with basic VOA stamp , address(hotel o.k) and siam commercial also wanted email-address if i wanted to have internet access... :o

Edited by thaitero

Bangkok Bank requested my WP, but accepted my yellow tabien bahn (Thai house book) instead.

That said; internet banking still stone age level - to pay somebody (even if they have a BKK Bank account) I have to go to the bank and sign docs allowing payments to that account (only first time though).

I.e. it is not nearly as flexible as my European bank, where I can pay any (in country) account all done online.

Also; I can not buy/sell my BKK Bank funds online - despite being able to do so via ATM. I can not even track the funds online....

Cheers!

Nonsense ... A Work Permit is NOT required ... What about all the filthy rich retirees who

made their millions in rich countries ? they do not have work permits.

I had online banking when I lived here on tourist visa's, donkey's years ago.

Anyway ... All the local banks have online banking.

Naka.

Edited by naka

Nonsense ... A Work Permit is NOT required ... What about all the filthy rich retirees who

Naka.

Actually it's not nonsense, it's one of Bangkok Banks basic requirements for giving you Internet Banking. That doesn't mean it's completely impossible to get Internet Banking with Bankok Bank if you don't have a work permit, just that it could be more difficult and you might not be able to get it.

What you had or did years ago isn't really relevant as things have changed over the last couple of years. Getting a bank account and Internet Banking isn't as simple as it was before (but still possible). I got Internet Banking some years ago on a tourist visa as well (with Krung Thai Bank), but I doubt I could today.

Sphon

I recently opened an account with Kbank, just giving them a copy of my pasport. I signed a document requesting cyberbanking and gave my email address. The day after I got a message from Kbank to change my pasword and at the same time I applied for webcard.

Again the day after I got my webcard and got accepted by paypal. I was amazed it was so fast and easy.

Bangkok bank has a lousy service, my TW and I canceled our account with them years ago. I wonder why people still want this bank.

I have had a savings account with SCB for over two years. They activated my online banking in the branch and handed me two sealed envelopes. One had my initial user id, which I changed the first time I logged in and my initial password, which I also changed the first time I logged in. They have their online banking in both English and Thai (www.scbeasy.com). I use the online banking frequently from outside of Thailand. When I am in Thailand I can top-up my prepaid sim card online. It is very convenient. Also a note: a work permit is not required to open a Thai bank account even though many banks say they want it. They say that because the government pressures them to do that to keep illegal farangs from working. All I did was go to a branch and showed them my tourist visa. After they declined to open my account I asked for the manager and explained to him that I planned on staying in Thailand long term. He told the girl to open accounts for me and brother and they issued us an international debit mastercard linked to the account in addition to the online banking. The manager was very friendly and happy to get two new accounts. Since then I have conducted business at many SCB branches, including making a very large cash withdrawal by Thai standards, and have never been treated with anything other than friendliness and respect by SCB staff.

Edited by jackbox

I have had a savings account with SCB for over two years. They activated my online banking in the branch and handed me two sealed envelopes. One had my initial user id, which I changed the first time I logged in and my initial password, which I also changed the first time I logged in. They have their online banking in both English and Thai (www.scbeasy.com). I use the online banking frequently from outside of Thailand. When I am in Thailand I can top-up my prepaid sim card online. It is very convenient. Also a note: a work permit is not required to open a Thai bank account even though many banks say they want it. They say that because the government pressures them to do that to keep illegal farangs from working. All I did was go to a branch and showed them my tourist visa. After they declined to open my account I asked for the manager and explained to him that I planned on staying in Thailand long term. He told the girl to open accounts for me and brother and they issued us an international debit mastercard linked to the account in addition to the online banking. The manager was very friendly and happy to get two new accounts. Since then I have conducted business at many SCB branches, including making a very large cash withdrawal by Thai standards, and have never been treated with anything other than friendliness and respect by SCB staff.

Same experience with SCB

used to bank with Bangkok BK for over 2 years. They refused to let me have internet banking. Somehow did not believe I would change as they are nearly alone in our provincial town....

Opened an account with SCB and got internet access following day.

Works well.

You need to register (at the branch) any account to which you want to transfer funds. t takes a day or 2 to register from which time you can then transfer online

I have used Inet banking from three banks, and KBank is the best of them.

KBank - Farang friendly. No workpermit needed, Inet banking on joint and personal accounts. Allows online intrabank transfers with set up. Most professional web interface.

SCB - Not bad, bill pay, tranfers to other scb accounts after physical paperwork set up. The don't quite get the 'web thing' - which makes me not trust them.

BOA now UOB - basic account checking. Still have their account.. but I dont think they get it either. Have a credit card from them.. but never could check it online. Gone downhill after UOB take over.

Bangkok Bank - Sucks. Had an account with them for 7 years... but they require me to have a work permit to have online banking! Wow, you really want to keep me as a customer don't you!

• 3 weeks later...
I have used Inet banking from three banks, and KBank is the best of them.

KBank - Farang friendly. No workpermit needed, Inet banking on joint and personal accounts. Allows online intrabank transfers with set up. Most professional web interface.

SCB - Not bad, bill pay, tranfers to other scb accounts after physical paperwork set up. The don't quite get the 'web thing' - which makes me not trust them.

BOA now UOB - basic account checking. Still have their account.. but I dont think they get it either. Have a credit card from them.. but never could check it online. Gone downhill after UOB take over.

Bangkok Bank - Sucks. Had an account with them for 7 years... but they require me to have a work permit to have online banking! Wow, you really want to keep me as a customer don't you!

Agreed Kasikorn is the best and there kcontact centre has people that are helpful and understand english well. For a foreigner now it is important to have a contract thai mobile with roaming as kbank has gone to 2 factor authentication - when you do certain transactions you get sms'd a code to enter the web interface. I have limited use of the following banks web interfaces :

* BKK bank - sucks, need to preauthorise transfers in writing and probably in person, beleive can only transfer to other bkk bank accounts, slow, security appears to be ok

* Krungsri - simialar to bkk, need to request transfer authority - can be done when eopning account, is an annual charge for internet access (100/200 baht!), can only transfer to other krungsri accounts - not sure how transfer is set up as havent requested facility

* Krung thai - there are 2 interfaces - old is limited, new looks good, apperas can only transfer to other krung thai accounts - beleive can be set up through interface without written request, has facility for producing cheques, actually many features available through interface but i just have a savings account

* Siam Commercial Bank - not good - looks like a student project and hasnt been updated for many years - I have significant concerns over the security of this site, however allows transfers to other SCB accounts and bill payments - again not sure how these are set up and if it is possible to do entirely online

* Kasikorn - outstanding, security is good and recently introduced 2 factor authentication for certain transactions, customer support through phone is superb, also provide many features through there phones automated system, can get a web credit card entirely through the web interface - useful for verifying a paypal account, no charges for service, can set up and do transfers to many thai banks entirely online

If you have wenb access and are not in thailand for a long time and dont have any normal transactions on your accounts it is best to have 2 accounts with the thai bank - then every 3/6 months do a transfer from 1 account to the other. Doing this will keep the accounts alive for when you need to use them, Several thai banks put an account into dormant status if there are no transactions for a period of time - usually a year. And once it is in that status it may be possible to pay money in but not get money out. Paying money in does not get it out of dormant status. To do this may require a visit to your branch with passport...

• 8 months later...

The 'search' feature gave me this thread, sorry to drag up an 8 month old thread... BUT:

Has anyone used Bangkok Bank's Bualuang with their Thai wife? As a Thai she could get an online banking password, right?

My wife will live there while our K-3 spouse visa is processing and I return to the USA. I need to show evidence of a valid marriage -so I'm thinking about a joint bank account.

Bangkok Bank has a branch in New York and I could do a US$-US$ in-country. She could then get the funds from our account as needed without SWIFT, TELEX, or Western Union fees.

........................ Here's info from BB's site FYI.........................

International Funds Transfer Service via Bualuang iBanking A great way to transfer money overseas using the internet, the International Funds Transfer Service via Bualuang iBanking helps you transfer money anywhere, anytime. You can check exchange rates and transfer money when the price is right and can select from as many as 16 currencies. You can be sure of the records as the transfer details are always available to be viewed and printed out.

Avoid payment delays and international bank charges Our international branch and payment network of over 1,500 foreign banks worldwide enables us to receive fund transfers from abroad quickly and directly into your Bangkok Bank account. This helps us to pay you directly at a much lower cost.

Correspondent Banks

Our correspondent banks below provide the overseas funds transfer service in the major currencies.

United States Dollar (USD): Bangkok Bank, New York Branch, JPMorgan Chase, and The Bank of New York

Euro (EUR): Deutsche Bank

British Pound (GBP): Bangkok Bank, London Branch, National Westminster Bank, Barclays Bank, and Lloyds Bank

Japanese Yen (JPY): Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi, Mitsuho Bank, and UFJ Bank

Access your funds from any branch When your international fund transfer is credited into your account, you can pick up your funds from any Bangkok Bank branch or ATM in Thailand.

Have my incoming funds arrived?

Contact one of our Customer Service Representatives on 1333 or (66) 0-2645-5555.

attribution/link:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...nds/default.htm

Edited by ding

Has anyone used Bangkok Bank's Bualuang with their Thai wife? As a Thai she could get an online banking password, right?

We opened a joint account, and applied for Internet banking at the same time. Within the Internet (Bualuang) account are: the joint account; her original account; an account in her name for direct debit of monthly bills; and send-to-only accounts of folks on our payroll (to be used should we be out of the country and need to pay).

I'm sure the joint account wasn't really needed, as she could have set up the Internet account solely in her name, with me using her user ID and pin (but legal, if that's pertinent?). But the joint account, where most of the money is, was more for estate planning purposes. Plus, Immigration now allows joint accounts to function as solo accounts for extension of stay purposes -- provided you show a marriage certificate. Anyway, it was all pretty simple, and I only had to show my passport, no work permit nor residency statement.

Bangkok Bank has a branch in New York and I could do a US$-US$ in-country. She could then get the funds from our account as needed without SWIFT, TELEX, or Western Union fees.

This is a wholesale bank, and I don't believe they allow personal accounts. So, you wouldn't be able to tie in a BB New York branch account into your Bualuang Internet account AFAIK.

I have internet bank accounts with UOB and Bangkok Bank. The UOB one I opened years ago when it was BoA and don't recall needing a work permit. I don't use it any more but never closed it as I know the hassles it can be to open. Same story in other SE Asia countries other than Singapore.

For Bangkok Bank I applied about 2 years ago and they did want to see a copy of my work permit. I filled in a couple of forms so I can do transactions online between my different bank accounts at different Bangkok Bank branches. I also filled in a form so I could transfer money to my wife's Bangkok Bank account online.

A couple of tips:

- Allow a couple of weeks before leaving Thailand to sort out the paperwork.

- It's much easier to do from Thailand.

- You need to preplan for these things and then allow extra time for two or three visits.

All in all works fine now for Bangkok Bank. I can transfer to my wife's account as and when needed. Although we both live overseas, she sometimes visits Thailand by herself so it's useful.

A few more ideas:

- Writing post dated cheques seems big in Thailand. I'm not a fan myself, but I've done this with landlords when I've been travelling. Again order cheque books a while before leaving

- You can transfer from one Bangkok Bank account to another using an ATM card. So if you've got someone you trust you can just give them your ATM card and pin number

After reading this thread yesterday,i thought i'll just pop into Kasikorn in Pattaya and see how easy it is,20 minutes later i came out with visa debit card,internet banking sorted and passbook.Excellent service,and just showed them passport,they copied it.

After reading this thread yesterday,i thought i'll just pop into Kasikorn in Pattaya and see how easy it is,20 minutes later i came out with visa debit card,internet banking sorted and passbook.Excellent service,and just showed them passport,they copied it.

Seems Kasikorn is one of the better and easier banks for internet access etc. But can it cater for international transfers from Sterling accounts abroad using the higher on-shore exchange rate like the BKK Bank does ?

This is a wholesale bank, and I don't believe they allow personal accounts. So, you wouldn't be able to tie in a BB New York branch account into your Bualuang Internet account AFAIK.

It sounds like I can NOT deposit to Bangkok Bank into that account via Bangkok Bank New York.

Do I understand that right?

...even though we open the account in Bangkok (I forgot that detail I guess).

I imagined a bank-to-bank transfer from my home bank to the New York branch of Bangkok Bank - via routing #.

No?

Edited by ding

With BBL in the UK you can go to their london branch and do a transfer to a Thai based account for a £15 fee - I guess you would get the onshore (better) rate - best to give them a ring and ask. I beleive they have done this for a while for the Thais in the UK to cheaply send money made back to Thailand.

Watch out for foreign currency accounts from the major banks - they may be very easy to open and have low opening balance and fee free maintenance balances - I have just seen one with krungsri.

Of all the Thai banks Kasikorn is the best, easiest and cheapest to run. For doing transfers - find out what their correspondent banks are and specify the routing on the transfer - this way you may avoid unneccesary (sometimes large ) charges sending your money to Thaiiland.

If anyone has done this then please post the details, routing and charges - I'm surprised there is not an ongoing thread for this as there are alot of people asking, there are people doing, but little good infois being offered to help the community here... (IMHO)

I just use Thai paypal for small amounts (which costs less for small amounts than bank transfers). And Non UK, European banks have significantly smaller charges than UK banks for SWIFT transfers !

Would be good to have routing details from popular locations to Thai banks... Anyone ?

Naka.

Not true for Bangkok Bank NO CAN DO

Krung Thai and Siam Commercial Bank, both OK NO PLOBLEM

Seems Kasikorn is one of the better and easier banks for internet access etc. But can it cater for international transfers from Sterling accounts abroad using the higher on-shore exchange rate like the BKK Bank does ?

When I transfer euro's from my account abroad to my wife's K-Bank account she gets the (better) on-shore exchange rate. They do charge a small percentage for the transfer though; from my memory it is 0.25% (minimum 200 Baht, maximum 500 (??) Baht). Better check if you want to know for sure....