Scammed Thai official turns bottles into legal action against scammer

webfact

Scammed Official Turns Bottles Into Legal Action Against Scammer
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14550127681455012803l.jpg
Box of water bottles deputy mayor Narawuth Kunakham said he received, instead of the guitar he ordered online.

PHETCHABUN — When Narawuth Kunakham ordered a Yamaha guitar from an online shopping forum, he probably didn’t expect to get six bottles of water instead.

Now after finding himself the victim of a common scam that has long plagued the budding e-commerce industry in Thailand, Narawuth, deputy mayor of Petchabun city, said they scammed the wrong guy. He’s taking legal action.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1455012768&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-02-10

Reigntax post # 4.

So he thinks it is ok to use a govenment database and equipment to solve a personal problem.

Or does every citizen have the same access? I think not!

When are charges being laid against this official

Obviously none of you ever use or have used or will use a work or office computers for your own means do you?

Why should he be prosecuted? He is performing a public service in bringing this cyber shopping on line fraud theft to the forefront, all power to his elbow.

Going by a number of comments here it seems certain that if the officials critics were the victims of a similar scam they would approve of it and regard it as a ''great joke'' while happily accepting their financial loss in a good cause

Not often that i'd sing the praises of anything a local "official" does here. But I think this a stroke of genius. Sure the means are pretty dodgy, but this fake seller obviously had done this scam multiple times before & for sure won't pull a stunt like this again. Bravo sir

If I was to take this to the police, I'd probably get blank stares....told to fill out a form....and then nothing would happen. This is kind of an example of what's wrong with Thailand. Only those in positions of power are able to get things like this done. The police should aggressively go after crimes like this, no matter your position in life.

If I was to take this to the police, I'd probably get blank stares....told to fill out a form....and then nothing would happen. This is kind of an example of what's wrong with Thailand. Only those in positions of power are able to get things like this done. The police should aggressively go after crimes like this, no matter your position in life.

Even in the Netherlands scams like this help and the police won't do a thing as they see it as a private matter until there are many complaints then maybe they will do something. Its not just Thai police, and all over the world important people get better treatment.

But I agree you see this a lot more in Thailand as elsewhere.

Some scams have a ring of legality about them,the scammer has to be clever. Many years ago i read about a scam in India,a man offered a sure fire way of killing bed bugs,works 100%, cost only $5. Having sent of the money the buyer received two tiny wooden blocks with instructions, place the bed bug between the wooden blocks and squeeze. People tried to bring him to justice but the court recognized that the scammer was correct, it was a sure way to kill the bed bugs.

Even in the Netherlands scams like this help and the police won't do a thing as they see it as a private matter until there are many complaints then maybe they will do something. Its not just Thai police, and all over the world important people get better treatment.

I've been scammed a few times back in the US. Easy to solve. My bank reversed the credit card charge. Not so sure that'd be easy here????

I've been scammed a few times back in the US. Easy to solve. My bank reversed the credit card charge. Not so sure that'd be easy here????

Usually we do bank transfers and these are not easy to reverse.. banks are real hesitant with that. Also usually they use a dummy account from a homeless guy.. to receive the money then transfer it out and its gone. These are just cases the police does not want to get involved with unless its a large scale thing.

Agree Rob. Certainly in the UK, the role of the police has slowly changed, without any official change mechanism being followed. They no longer "keep the peace" or carry out many of their sworn constabulary duties. They are glued to CCTV screens, processing traffic violations to collect the fines, and "policing" demonstrations and the like.

Not blaming the police as in most countries they simply follow orders and a lot of forces are undermanned and underfunded.

The BiB are somewhat unique and really expect payments to actually do anything.

I do most of my business online and it is very bad for all the honest suppliers. These people get away too easily because it's very hard to prove foul play. Happy that some even more rotten guy has the power to get back at the scammer and will. Still sad to see that the rest of us are powerless and reduced to be happy to see a probably very bad guy get back at 1 scammer.

I do most of my business online and it is very bad for all the honest suppliers. These people get away too easily because it's very hard to prove foul play. Happy that some even more rotten guy has the power to get back at the scammer and will. Still sad to see that the rest of us are powerless and reduced to be happy to see a probably very bad guy get back at 1 scammer.

Indeed yes it must be frustrating for legitimate on-line businesses. So far there doesn't appear to be a large scale on-line scamming business in Thailand, let's hope it remains that way. It must be very frustrating for genuine businesses in such countries say, as Nigeria, where the very location makes one want to shy away from it.

So the guy was able to use a government computer to track down the details of the scammer. So this begs the question......why cant the police do this with every case that is reported to them?

JAF

because they dont give a **** about anyone other than family and self

If you used your o/s credit card it would be ;)

LOS. Land of Scams...

I always post this message on facebook when ever I see a scam. And that is several times per day !!!

post-197672-0-17911300-1455088344_thumb.

!!! WARNING !!! Never ever do business with people using mail, gmail, hotmail or yahoo accounts.

Have you ever asked yourself this question why don't they have an existing website and connecting email addresses ???

A website only costs a few bucks per year and can already be profitable after 1 sale. But all these people that post on FB, Kaidee.com & many other websites, don't want to get traced or tracked for their scams. An example for a cheap website, starting at 250 ฿/year @ http://paibkk.com.