Transfer ownership of land/house using power of attorney forms possible?

Hi,

I hope somebody can help out with a bit of advice.

I have a house in Rayong and some land in Khon Kaen that I want to sell.

Both are in my wife's name.

The problem is that are now living in the UK. My wife is working full time and also hates flying so understandably doesn't want to spend 36 hours on a plane just to sign a piece of paper at the land office.

If can find a buyer, is it possible that my wife can sign some power of attorney / transfer forms and I can fly across with the appropriate signed documents /chanotes and complete the transaction on her behalf?

Any advice greatly appreciated on the best way to proceed in this situation.

Thanks

My wife sold a condo I owned using a Power of Attorney about 10 years ago. I signed the POA in Thailand but was out of the country when the transfer took place.

I believe that using POA's signed by both buyer and seller allows the estate agent's lawyers to to do transfers is common also.

• 2 weeks later...

No problem to use Power of Attorney to do anything at the land department. However keep in mind that they will require the wording to be exact and may require that some details are included in the form. In my case I own the house but not the land, so the form had to include the fact that the house is not part of the transfer.

So if the person signing is out of the country or inconvenient to sign more than once, you will want the land department to look at the filled out form before you have it signed.

Also you will need relevant documents of the person signing the Power of Attorney: ID Card, House Registration, Marriage Certificate etc... So consult the land department first !

Edited by THAIJAMES

• 3 months later...

The POA needs to be legalized for the Land office to accept it. The process is as follow sign the POA. Sign at the notary public. Send the POA to ministry of foreign affairs. Finally send the POA to the Thai embassy closest to you. My impressions is that you need to go through the legalization process or you will run the risk of not being able to conclude the transaction.