More people come forward claiming to own Phuket sea gypsy land

webfact

More people come forward claiming to own Phuket sea gypsy land
Darawan Naknakhon

1455246674_9129.jpg
Sea gypsies gather outside Provincail Hall yesterday (Feb 11) to demand answers from Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada. Photo: Darawan Naknakorn

PHUKET: -- A group of more than ten land owners who claim to own land next to the disputed sea gypsy land in Rawai have a number of documents they wish to present to Prime Minster Prayut Chan-o-chao which they hope will put an end to the beachfront land dispute.

The group, who claim to own 19 rai of land where the sea gypsies live, and representatives from Baron World Trade Co Ltd who claim to own the disputed 33 rai of land held a press conference at a Phuket hotel yesterday (Feb 11).
One of the 10 land owners, Satien Mukdee said, “The sea gypsies have encroached on land owned by us which has been passed down by our ancestors. We learned from our grandparents that sea gypsies were nomads, they moved from island to island.

“At some point, some of the sea gypsies came here and asked my grandfather, Tan Mukdee, for a place to stay. He agreed to let four or five families live on his land so long as they worked from him on his coconut plantation.

“People need to know about our story. They shouldn’t only listen to the villagers,” he said.

“If you ask the elderly people of Rawai, they will tell you where the sea gypsies came from. The on going dispute and lack of information about Rawai people lets many people believe that we bullying the sea gypsies which is not true.

“This land dispute is no longer a local issue, it is a national one and the government must intervene. We insist the government buy our land and set up a community for the sea gypsies.

“Today the villagers are living in a poor condition, 300 families, or 2000 people, are crammed in a small area. I want social justice for us all,” he added.

Kittiya Sa-ngaemsakul who owns two rai of land in the area said, “There are five people who own 19 rai of land that the sea gypsies live on. This land issue has caused so much stress to us. We cannot develop the land even though we have legal land titles.

“Justice must be served, we have been battling this issue in court for so long and only now is it under investigation,” he said.

“However, to put an end to this problem, all five land owners propose to sell 10 rai of land to the government so they can develop into a community and tourist destination. This way the sea gypsies will have a place to live and also earn a living.” she added.

Baron World Trade Co Ltd representatives Chana Chowna said that Baron World own 33 rai next to the land that the sea gypsies have occupied.

“The problem we are facing today is the sidewalk on public land and the location of the sea gypsies’ place of worship.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/more-people-come-forward-claiming-to-own-phuket-sea-gypsy-land-56183.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-02-12

I tend to agree with the land owners and what they say sound and ring true, for the government now

is to relocate those gypsy to another sea front location where they will be happy there, lord knows

that Thailand has many places where they be relocated.....

I tend to agree with the land owners and what they say sound and ring true, for the government now

is to relocate those gypsy to another sea front location where they will be happy there, lord knows

that Thailand has many places where they be relocated.....

I have a feeling that there is a thing called squatters rights that people can use unused land for a period of time and if nobody comes forward for 10 years (I think) then they are allowed to stay.

It seems odd that this group of landowners only come forward now at the same time that

Quote from the OP "Baron World Trade Co Ltd representatives Chana Chowna said that Baron World own 33 rai next to the land that the sea gypsies have occupied".

And not before. Perhaps they did, but it is the first time I have seen mention of it.

The land developer with 33 rai must have purchased said land from someone. Return the money, let the people stay where they are. No market for the smaller paecels without the 33 rai. Government need not pay with tax payer money for what should not have been sold (33 rai) and the other plots being claimed are worth little to anyone else.

"He agreed to let four or five families live on his land so long as they worked from him on his coconut plantation." - if this is true, I would like to know if they were granted the land, under the condition they work the plantation, or if some of their salary went towards payment for their accommodation (land)

At some stage in the past, the original owners must have consented to them staying, and expanding. I would like to know why.

They forgot to mention that these owners of the 19 rai are asking the government to buy the 19 rai for only TBH 500 Millions

Where is that 500M THB number from? Also they don't want to sell 19 rai.

Read the article in an English language newspaper in the Capital and you will get additional infos

They forgot to mention that these owners of the 19 rai are asking the government to buy the 19 rai for only TBH 500 Millions

Where is that 500M THB number from? Also they don't want to sell 19 rai.

Read the article in an English language newspaper in the Capital and you will get additional infos

Right, found it. So they want to sell 10 rai at over 500M THB giving a nice 50M THB per rai. That's one way to make money...