Has anyone in Chiang Mai obtained Thai citizenship

THAIJAMES

When I checked with special branches police a couple of years ago, they had hundreds of citizenship applications on file. However at the time, no one had in recent years had their application move forward or be approved.

In the past year or so, there have been many more reports of people getting citizenship in Bangkok.

Just wondering if anyone from Chiang Mai has seen any progress on their citizenship application.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friend made progress wth his. He threw it in the bin and forgot about it.

Smart move.

I've heard a few people on forums claim that they have done it, but it takes ages and more patience than most normal people have.

Years ago there was a Dutch guy - a part owner of the Riverside - who was applying. I don't know how things turned out for him.

Maybe he threw his application in the bin and forgot about it.

I guess there is as much chance of getting Thai citizenship as there is of winning the lottery.

I heard that it`s very difficult, an applicant has to become Thai in mind, body and soul and also relinquish their present citizenship. It has to be a 100% commitment. Most of us would not fulfill the requirements.

The Thais here don't seem to have any problem obtaining Thai citizenship - they just get born and it happens. Why would you want Thai citizenship? It offers absolutely no advantages over the passport that Westerners already carry.

You could buy and own a house and land!

No trips to Immigration.

No reporting where you are staying.

To list just a few.

I heard that it`s very difficult, an applicant has to become Thai in mind, body and soul and also relinquish their present citizenship. It has to be a 100% commitment. Most of us would not fulfill the requirements.

You do not have to relinquish your present citizenship.

There is a massive thread on TVF about people who are going through/ been through the citizenship process

No idea what you are talking about re "mind body and soul". I dont believe that is a requirement.

The Thais here don't seem to have any problem obtaining Thai citizenship - they just get born and it happens. Why would you want Thai citizenship? It offers absolutely no advantages over the passport that Westerners already carry.

No trips to Immigration.

To list just a few.

....Smiling more ......biggrin.png

No trips to Immigration.

To list just a few.

Get an Elite Visa - no trips to immigration, no reporting where you stay. Oh and free golf games and spa treatments too - they don't give those away to citizens.

Learn to structure a lease properly and you can effectively own land anyway (and a house).

So, still not seeing the benefits.

Tried two times. First application returned denied due to a spelling mistake. Second never responded to (in 3 years).

BTW - each application cost 97,000B

The massive thread??? Right.

That cannot be correct, there is no fee for application for citizenship. the 97,000 is for Permanent Residency if you are married to A Thai and you only pay that if you are successful. I am a Permanent Resident and paid 200K because I am single.

Many persons are getting citizenship in Bangkok. I haven't heard of any successful cases here in Chiang Mai.

No trips to Immigration.

To list just a few.

Get an Elite Visa - no trips to immigration, no reporting where you stay. Oh and free golf games and spa treatments too - they don't give those away to citizens.

Learn to structure a lease properly and you can effectively own land anyway (and a house).

So, still not seeing the benefits.

As a permanent resident I don't have to report to immigration any more unless I need to leave the country.

I also own my business 100% because of the American Amity Treaty.

You are correct, Thai citizenship considering the difficulty in obtaining it does not hold an obvious benefit to most persons. However if you look at it from the very long term perspective and want to ability to invest and purchase property freely without restriction then citizenship has its benefits..

One of the luckiest things most of us have is to be born in farangland and have a farang passport as most thais would tell you. They don't even give you citizenship on marriage but a close friend of mine (100% Thai) now has a US passport, as does her daughter, after marrying a Yank.

Thais are so xenophobic they will never risk 'integration' by issuing citizenships. Come to think of it isn't issuing citizenship on marriage some part of the ASEAN agreement? bit like letting people work here? it may become easier one day but Thailand is not ready for a few decades to come.

One of the luckiest things most of us have is to be born in farangland and have a farang passport as most thais would tell you. They don't even give you citizenship on marriage but a close friend of mine (100% Thai) now has a US passport, as does her daughter, after marrying a Yank.

Thais are so xenophobic they will never risk 'integration' by issuing citizenships. Come to think of it isn't issuing citizenship on marriage some part of the ASEAN agreement? bit like letting people work here? it may become easier one day but Thailand is not ready for a few decades to come.

Dont women get instant citizenship on marriage to a Thai man ??

Dont women get instant citizenship on marriage to a Thai man ??

do they? if so why not men married to Thai women?

Tried two times. First application returned denied due to a spelling mistake. Second never responded to (in 3 years).

BTW - each application cost 97,000B

The massive thread??? Right.

So in CM they charged you 97k to apply?

The charges for permanent residency is the same nationwide. There is a 7600 baht application fee. From immigration:

• or shared investment or special investment: 191,400.- Baht
  • For employment or expert: 191,400.- Baht
  • For foreigner married to Thai national: 95,700.- Baht
  • For foreign head of family taking care of children of Thai nationality: 95,700.- Baht
  • For spouse of foreign resident in the Kingdom: 95,700.- Baht
  • For children of foreign resident in the Kingdom or of Thai nationals:
    • Underage: 95,700.- Baht
    • Adult: 191,400.- Baht
  • For non-quota immigrants (original resident): 95,700.- Baht

It is not automatic for foreign women married to Thai men. It is, however, a bit easier, albeit time consuming, than for foreign men married to Thai women. The fee is Baht 5,000 if I recall correctly.

I have not heard of people from other provinces being successful but there are plenty of successful applicants in Bangkok. LannaGuy, I expect to get my ID card in a few weeks. I know of a number of other applicants who will be getting theirs about the same time.

The recommendation is to get on a house registration document for a house/condo located in Bangkok so that the application can be filed in Bangkok. For those who are interested, the citizenship thread has just about all necessary information and then some.

It is not automatic for foreign women married to Thai men. It is, however, a bit easier, albeit time consuming, than for foreign men married to Thai women. The fee is Baht 5,000 if I recall correctly.

I have not heard of people from other provinces being successful but there are plenty of successful applicants in Bangkok. LannaGuy, I expect to get my ID card in a few weeks. I know of a number of other applicants who will be getting theirs about the same time.

The recommendation is to get on a house registration document for a house/condo located in Bangkok so that the application can be filed in Bangkok. For those who are interested, the citizenship thread has just about all necessary information and then some.

interesting and a passport? my Thai friend now has a full US passport as does her daughter that's, surely, the defining moment of becoming a Thai citizen?

interesting and a passport? my Thai friend now has a full US passport as does her daughter that's, surely, the defining moment of becoming a Thai citizen?

As soon as I get my id card I will go to Immigration at Chaengwattana to cancel my visa and apply for my Thai passport at the passport office which is also located at Chaengwattana.

As soon as I get my id card I will go to Immigration at Chaengwattana to cancel my visa and apply for my Thai passport at the passport office which is also located at Chaengwattana.

and renounce your current citizenship? my Thai friend has dual citizenship hardly fair is it? unbelievable you would renounce your country

and renounce your current citizenship? my Thai friend has dual citizenship hardly fair is it? unbelievable you would renounce your country

I will not renounce my British citizenship. Renunciation is not compulsory.

Having said that, I have lived in Thailand for 34 years and been back to the UK only twice, once for a funeral and once for work (the last time 17 years ago). I wouldn't be losing much even if I had to renounce my British citizenship, would I? But my position does not apply to the majority of applicants who regularly travel back to the country of their birth.

I will not renounce my British citizenship. Renunciation is not compulsory.

Having said that, I have lived in Thailand for 34 years and been back to the UK only twice, once for a funeral and once for work (the last time 17 years ago). I wouldn't be losing much even if I had to renounce my British citizenship, would I? But my position does not apply to the majority of applicants who regularly travel back to the country of their birth.

Thank God for that! and you have jumped through numerous hoops so congrats for that but it's hardly as easy as it was for my friend in fact it was her right when she married and 1000s Thais do it annually whereas it's extremely difficult here you would agree and you are the only one I have ever heard of and I know tons of farang married to Thais

in your case I agree you don't lose much but nor do I see you gain much either but, as I said, congrats for getting it as it is rarer than a Naga in the River Ping

For anyone wishing to apply for PR (permanent residency) status; You require a non-refundable deposit of 97,000 Baht which is not drawn upon unless your application is approved. To the best of my knowledge (my applications date back many years) no one in the north has ever been approved, Advantages? Only if your intention is to seek citizenship.

Archived