Have 5 yr car license. Will I get 5 yr bike license?

Kenny202

Already have my 5 year Thai car license. Applied for my motorcycle license the other day. Usual pss around. Translation of my Australian bike license wasn't good enough. Had to get a screenshot of the Australian transport website showing classes of license, even though she admitted she wouldn't be able to read it. First lady said didn't need medical. Came back after lunch other lady gone home and new lady said did need medical. Ran around all over town all day. 500 Fricken baht to immigration again for a resident letter. Back on Monday to complete everything. I hate the way these people sit in their ivory palace lording it over people just because they can. Even asked me next time to wear trousers to show respect. irrespective of attire my face will still be showing contempt. Anyway..

my question...because I have a 5 yr Thai car license...(already did the 1 year temp license). Does that mean I'll get a 5 yr bike license or I'll have to get a temp license first time?

every time i go to do a licence (4 times in the last 18 months..have 5yr car and Moto) I always get a residence declaration from my embassy, a medical cert, and wear respectable clothes (jeans and collared shirt).

Never had a problem. Fast tracked through ahead of all the thais

Bangkok, Taling chan office

Probably only a one year as it is a different license. At least that is what they gave me when I got mine. You might want to work on your attitude, too, unless you want to continue blundering your way around Thailand.

It probably sounds like I go in with the wrong attitude but your wrong. And it's not a farang thing either. They treat their own people even more deplorably. It truly disgusts me

Probably only a one year as it is a different license. At least that is what they gave me when I got mine. You might want to work on your attitude, too, unless you want to continue blundering your way around Thailand.

It probably sounds like I go in with the wrong attitude but your wrong. And it's not a farang thing either. They treat their own people even more deplorably. It truly disgusts me

I am just going on what you write here, “My face will still be showing contempt.”, “I hate the way these people sit in their ivory palace lording it over people just because they can.” and “It truly disgusts me”. Even cross-culturally, that stuff is not hard to read in ones facial expressions and tone of voice. You say I am wrong and I may be, I am just pointing out that even as a farang I can feel your contempt so I am guessing the Thais can too.

That's great news !

What office do you use that asks you to wear a pair of strides ?

So, if you get a print-out of the classes in the Aussie website, she will give you a bike ticket ?

If they are accept your Australian license then you should get a 5 year, I believe.

Yeah, the guy who runs things at my local office can't read English either, maybe take your wife to help.

Maybe don't take their request to heart, just nod, and wear whatever you want ( if you want to make a point )

Strange that they make an exception for shorts but locals will be out by the door - sucking on some cheap cigarette then walk in, sit down stinking, kick off their flip-flops and no one says a word.

Edited by recom273

The contempt comes long after I have been polite and respectful and have done everything they requested patiently. Then go back to be told there is something else required. How would they go being on the receiving end of their own treatment? Oh that's right they're deserving of more respect because they just happened to be born into a life of priveledge. It's wrong and it's a bully mentality. They do just because they can. This has happened to me nearly everytime and most times my missus has dealt with it so it's not like they're telepathically picking up on my feelings. Last time we were told needed photos and a medical only to come back and be told (with a chuckle) they weren't required. 2 hours of our time running around trying to park, shelling out money. They sent us to immigration to get a letter and when we get to immigration they tell us we need a letter from transport to give immigration to get the letter from immigration. Your feeling my contempt for that reason. It's ridiculous

The contempt comes long after I have been polite and respectful and have done everything they requested patiently. Then go back to be told there is something else required. How would they go being on the receiving end of their own treatment? Oh that's right they're deserving of more respect because they just happened to be born into a life of priveledge. It's wrong and it's a bully mentality. They do just because they can. This has happened to me nearly everytime and most times my missus has dealt with it so it's not like they're telepathically picking up on my feelings. Last time we were told needed photos and a medical only to come back and be told (with a chuckle) they weren't required. 2 hours of our time running around trying to park, shelling out money. They sent us to immigration to get a letter and when we get to immigration they tell us we need a letter from transport to give immigration to get the letter from immigration. Your feeling my contempt for that reason. It's ridiculous

Think it's just they, or many offices we visit, do not have a "game plan", nobody has been taught how to give correct and "complete" information regarding the job they are employed to do.

And for sure those who have one of these jobs feels "hi-so" towards the ordinary guy/gal..

I was chastised once at a gov office for asking where the toilet was...blink.png

yeah spot on. They have no central information point. Training appears to be poor but maybe its the "service" persons willingness to learn. That for me though is a minimal issue compared to poor attitude and laziness. I'm sure u'd all remember in our own countries we got the same service from govt departments. No one in a govt job could be sacked and that was reflected in their attitude...but that was 50 years ago. I have come accross some really helpful people but it has been rare. Anyway...Every dog has its day. They'll get theirs no doubt

The temporary licences are now 2 years,just got mine on Friday.

I have a 5 yr Thai licence for car. My UK licence shows I am permitted to drive a motorbike. How would I go about getting a Thai bike licence? Would I need to take a test?
That's exactly the situation I'm in and doing now. Read my posts. You'll need copies of passport and visa, a residents letter from immigration. (Need to go to transport office first and get a letter from them to give immigration ). They'll either want a translation of your British license translated and stamped by an official translation office or a screenshot of the British transport website showing class of license as motorbike or both. Ask them when you go to get your letter to take to immigration. You'll also need a medical certificate Edited by Kenny202

I think you rather enjoy this self fulfilling prophesy.

You are not respectful, you are not polite, you are not in sync with the Thai culture ... and enjoy coming on Thai Visa to complain about it. OK. Duly noted.

The rest of us who live here have learned ... the more maddening the behavior by a Thai ... the effective solution is the same.

Lower your voice. Smile a little and laugh. Apologize (in Thai if you can) that your Thai is not good.

Start over. Calmly, quietly and with a smile .. explain what it is you want.

You will experience the miracle of miracles .. they will do exactly what you wanted all along !!

I know you do not believe me, and do not really care .. I am not the one at the end of the queue getting jerked around ... much to the delight of those witnessing it. You are, in their minds .. getting exactly what you deserve. You come on with your Superior White Holier than Thou Attitude .. and are surprised you get yanked!

If you want a different outcome to these stories .. something needs to change:

HINT - Your Attitude !

There are certainly more than a few low-level khaaratchakaan who like to lord it over the people they are supposed to serve. But I've found most to be perfectly reasonable, in fact remarkably so given the mind-numbing nature of their work. And sometimes one of them will go out of their way to help me, in a way I doubt he or she would do for most Thais.

I can't help but think that anyone who consistently has problems with these people is coming in with the wrong attitude, and probably a lack of communication skills as well.

I have a 5 yr Thai licence for car. My UK licence shows I am permitted to drive a motorbike. How would I go about getting a Thai bike licence? Would I need to take a test?
When I got both my temporary licences last year(car & bike)and last week,I had my IDP but they only wanted to copy my plastic UK licence. I had to take the colour blindness,brake reaction and depth perception tests.

This year I had to watch the video as well,change of rules they said.

Had a Doctors note and certificate of residence(from the Amphur),immigration won't do one here in Kanchanaburi.

Edited by MAZ3

Whatever. U don't know me or my attitude or what happened or anything for that matter. Please dont bother cutting pasting and quoting me. And you think you speak for "the rest of us?" Ie everyone else on this

forum? Haha.

For those interested, and the topic of the post....i got a 2 year temporary. Doesn't matter that you have a 5 year car license. It's start from scratch with a motorcycle license.

I think there is no exact rule , maybe they give u one or two years , and also they can give u 5 years or more , last week I renewal my car licence in Phuket they asked me about the medical certificate and also there is test (small machine like toy ) .. After they give me 6 years not 5 years !! Don't understand maybe they change the law or maybe coz I'm very intelligent !!!

Think it's just they, or many offices we visit, do not have a "game plan", nobody has been taught how to give correct and "complete" information regarding the job they are employed to do.

And for sure those who have one of these jobs feels "hi-so" towards the ordinary guy/gal..

I was chastised once at a gov office for asking where the toilet was...blink.png

Hope you told them " To Bog Off "

Hope you told them " To Bog Off "

No I respected their "authorita" and just sucked it all up with a smile. 10k to the transport dept. Another 10k home again to get a print out of the website even though I had an officially stamped thai translation of my Aus license. A further trip to immigration then back to transport. Then another trip to the doctor for a medical even though the first lady said didn't need a medical. My attitude? Lack of training? I think a whole lot of "don't give a frk"

i have a 5 year car licence. went to get my thai motorbike licence. needed thai translation of my australian motorbike licence. needed proof of residence. needed medical test. basically everything the same as car licence. i got my 5 year licence 1 month earlier and still had to do the color test etc. only got a 1 year temporary. jumping thru hoops is fun.

Edited by seedy
font

When I got both my temporary licences last year(car & bike)and last week,I had my IDP but they only wanted to copy my plastic UK licence. I had to take the colour blindness,brake reaction and depth perception tests.

Had a Doctors note and certificate of residence(from the Amphur),immigration won't do one here in Kanchanaburi.

Thank you Maz. Still abit thick on this subject. I only did the tests to get my car licence; does this mean I have to re-do everything to get my bike licence + all those afore-mentioned docs?

You'll get a two year (It recently increased from one year) temporary mototorcycle drivers licence first, as car and motorcycles are two different licences ( You don't get one license with the two classes/categories on it).

You say you have a current Australian licence. I was under the impression that in Australia your license was issued by the individual State, (NSW, SA, WA or Qld etc,) with the class 'R Motor Cycle' etc, stated on the back, and if you had a photo ID on the front it, then that would be sufficient for you to get a Thai licence without undergoing theory and practical tests, just a simple colour and reaction test. They should only require a sighting of you State license, togerher with photocopies of front and back of it.First I've heard of a translation of it?

You'd still need the other paperwork such as Medical Certificate, Certificate of Residence etc.

Good luck.

Edited by mankondang

Thank you Maz. Still abit thick on this subject. I only did the tests to get my car licence; does this mean I have to re-do everything to get my bike licence + all those afore-mentioned docs?
Both times I did car & bike licences together,only needed 1 Doctors note,1 Res Cert and only 1 set of tests,I didn't need the circuit tests etc as I had full car and bike

This may vary according to your local office(I checked first),but I would assume they would make you take the tests again and you would need those docs again,as its a separate licence.

Good luck

Edited by MAZ3

Both times I did car & bike licences together,only needed 1 Doctors note,1 Res Cert and only 1 set of tests.

This may vary according to your local office(I checked first),but I would assume they would make you take the tests again and you would need those docs again,as its a separate licence.

Good luck

Yes you'll need one Cert of Red, and Med cert for each, two. But if doing the both together then an original and one copy is accepted. I have been told the Cert of Residence is now valid for 60 days, up from the past 30 days. So keep a copy just in case..save another run around.

You'll get a two year (It recently increased from one year) temporary mototorcycle drivers licence first, as car and motorcycles are two different licences ( You don't get one license with the two classes/categories on it).

You say you have a current Australian licence. I was under the impression that in Australia your license was issued by the individual State, (NSW, SA, WA or Qld etc,) with the class 'R Motor Cycle' etc, stated on the back, and if you had a photo ID on the front it, then that would be sufficient for you to get a Thai licence without undergoing theory and practical tests, just a simple colour and reaction test. They should only require a sighting of you State license, togerher with photocopies of front and back of it.First I've heard of a translation of it?

You'd still need the other paperwork such as Medical Certificate, Certificate of Residence etc.

Good luck.

Yes have a current QLD license and it does have class R and class C. When I got my Thai car license they insisted I get an official translation of my Australian license as well as copies front and back. Fair enough. They strangely wouldn't accept my international license which everyone on TV reccomend. They wouldn't do my motorcycle license at the same time as my car license. I was told to come back another day. I went a month ago and swapped my expired 1 year car license for a 5 year. They accepted my Australian license and translation letter no questions but ran me around all over the place getting stuff i didnt need. This time 4 weeks later at the same office they were reluctant to accept my Australian license and suggested an international (mines expired). I smiled sweetly and told them only 4 weeks ago I used my Australian license to renew my car license no problems. Group huddle. Ok Australian license ok but I'll need more than a registered translation. Need to back home to get a screen shot of the Aus website showing license classes. They forgot to give me the color and reaction tests though. I've never had to sit through the video either any of the three applications.

Anyone that comes on here stating point blank you need this or that in regards to licenses or visas here have no idea. Every office and every staff person seem to have different idea of requirements and more pertinent attitude. The reason I had to do a 20km round trip the other day to get a screen shot of a website was all a game. She was insisting on an international license. I was super respectful and nice relaying to her I'd used my Australian license twice before. What was I spose to do? Go to the trouble and expense of getting an international license so she could blow me off and get back to facebook? No its a Thai game. Her way of keeping face. Like dealing with spoilt children trying to get their own way

Look I agree with you 100% but you are in they country and not back home in Australia I am Aussie to but I have lean in life to just put up with it shut up and it will get done I did it in my business and I was very successful at making money.

And it is thailand a 3 rd world country who is 30 years behind the times not like the west .

Just look at how most of them drive the worst I have seen in my times on the roads and I was 35 years driver back home .

Look I agree with you 100% but you are in they country and not back home in Australia I am Aussie to but I have lean in life to just put up with it shut up and it will get done I did it in my business and I was very successful at making money.

And it is thailand a 3 rd world country who is 30 years behind the times not like the west .

Just look at how most of them drive the worst I have seen in my times on the roads and I was 35 years driver back home .

understand all that perfectly and on the whole love living here. This is why we come on here to vent right?