Want to come to live in Thailand

Currently on holiday in Thailand but returning to UK mid March. I would like to return to Thailand to live here permanently. I am 77 years old have a net income of £3000 per month,no criminal record and in reasonably good health.

I understand that in the first instance I need to get an OA visa. What are the requirements for that please. How much do I have to have in the UK bank or is my monthly income, which is guaranteed, sufficient.

I am tod that the OA visa will allow me to stay for up to one year during which time I can go to Thai immigration and apply for a Retirement Stamp.

Have I got this correct or am I way off beam.

Thank you in advance

If you are in receipt of a State retirement pension you could obtain a one year multiple entry *O* visa from the London Thai embassy.

From that visa you can obtain an "extension of stay, based on retirement" (it is not a visa) For this you would need 800,000 Bht in a Thai bank or a monthly income of 65.000 Bht certified by the British Embassy.

Edit!

Be aware that health care is not "free" in Thailand and that you should ensure you have health insurance because hospital bills can be very large.

Edited by sunnyjim5
  • Like 2

• If you get the non 'O-A' you would need the equivalent of 800k baht in your UK bank or certified proof of your £3k income (minimum needed must be equivalent to 65k THB) or a combination of the two of a minimum of 800k.
  • On entry to Thailand you will be given a 1 year permit to stay. In the last 30 days (45 at some offices) you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement. You would need to show certified proof (from your embassy) of your income (minimum needed must be equivalent to 65k THB) or have 800k in a Thai bank for 2 months before you apply or a combination of the two.

A non 'O' visa is easier to get, but the non 'O-A' delays the need for getting a 1 year extension from immigration for 1 year.

I absolutely support the encouraging replying comments for you to move

to LOS rather than live out your retirement in the UK. Given your present

age, far better to be independent for as long as possible, and maybe at some

stage have a younger companion to assist you when frailty sets in, than to

sit in an old-age home or retirement village, whilst in your dotage, dependant

upon disinterested care staff to look after you.

I would hope that you have, or will, consider the ramifications of dying in

Thailand, in so farr as far as your nearest and dearest are concerned, your

Estate, etc.

• Like 1

I absolutely support the encouraging replying comments for you to move

to LOS rather than live out your retirement in the UK. Given your present

age, far better to be independent for as long as possible, and maybe at some

stage have a younger companion to assist you when frailty sets in, than to

sit in an old-age home or retirement village, whilst in your dotage, dependant

upon disinterested care staff to look after you.

I would hope that you have, or will, consider the ramifications of dying in

Thailand, in so farr as far as your nearest and dearest are concerned, your

Estate, etc.

Pretty sound advice. If your a newbie there a some pitfalls here. Glean through your answers and check for other threads on the subject. Feel free to PM me with questions. I wish when I arrived I had someone besides trial and error to find my may. I paid my dues we all do to some extent.

It is up to you but arriving with a Non Imm O Visa would be easier and cheaper

arriving with Non Imm O Visa and then applying for O-A in Thailand do you still need Police Clearence

You can't apply for a non 'O-A' in Thailand. You can only apply in your home country or country of permanent residency.

Police checks are only required for non 'O-A' applications. They aren't needed for non 'O' visas from your home country or from Thai Embassies/Consulates in countries neighbouring Thailand. Neither is one need if you apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement from immigration.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

• If you get the non 'O-A' you would need the equivalent of 800k baht in your UK bank or certified proof of your £3k income (minimum needed must be equivalent to 65k THB) or a combination of the two of a minimum of 800k.
  • On entry to Thailand you will be given a 1 year permit to stay. In the last 30 days (45 at some offices) you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement. You would need to show certified proof (from your embassy) of your income (minimum needed must be equivalent to 65k THB) or have 800k in a Thai bank for 2 months before you apply or a combination of the two.

A non 'O' visa is easier to get, but the non 'O-A' delays the need for getting a 1 year extension from immigration for 1 year.

Another option is to leave and re-enter the kingdom just prior to the expiration of the O-A Visa and obtain a further 1 year permit to stay.

( Hence the 'delay' would be nearly 2 years).

could someone advise me, I have been here 9 years the last 8 on a retirement visa, ie 800k in bank. However my love affair with Thailand is fading, and my intentions in the near future is to do 6months uk/ 6 months here. I dont really want to keep 800k in bank, I would return to Uk near to when my present visa expires. What would be my best options for returning for 6 month stays. Thanks

could someone advise me, I have been here 9 years the last 8 on a retirement visa, ie 800k in bank. However my love affair with Thailand is fading, and my intentions in the near future is to do 6months uk/ 6 months here. I dont really want to keep 800k in bank, I would return to Uk near to when my present visa expires. What would be my best options for returning for 6 month stays. Thanks

You could get a OA long stay visa from the embassy in London or perhaps a multiple entry tourist visa (60 day entries).

You could get a OA long stay visa from the embassy in London or perhaps a multiple entry tourist visa (60 day entries).

A further option available to you, if you are in receipt of the UK State Pension, would be to obtain a multi-entry non-immigrant "O" visa from the London Embassy, as advised to the OP in post #2.

As advised in post #3 this might prove easier and less costly for you than a non-immigrant "OA" visa.

Edited by OJAS

Next time I come to Thailand will be for 4 months (this trip 3 months so got a SETV which I extended for 30 days, job done)

What would be my best option for a 4 month stay taking into account the double entry visa is no more?

Thanks

Get another 60 day SETV, extend it by 30 days, and at the end of that do a border hop for a 30 day visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

Next time I come to Thailand will be for 4 months (this trip 3 months so got a SETV which I extended for 30 days, job done)

What would be my best option for a 4 month stay taking into account the double entry visa is no more?

Thanks

Get another 60 day SETV, extend it by 30 days, and at the end of that do a border hop for a 30 day visa exempt entry.
Yes I was hoping there was another way with less hassle?

Like maybe going to Laos after 60 days and obtaining a further 60 days Savannakhet or Vientiane.

If I do a border hop, do I have to take a flight to qualify for the 30 days because I remember some time ago, a land crossing only gave 15 days? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I suppose an alternative would be to spend my 3rd month outside Thailand and return on visa exempt for my final month

Thanks

Yes I was hoping there was another way with less hassle?

Like maybe going to Laos after 60 days and obtaining a further 60 days Savannakhet or Vientiane.

If I do a border hop, do I have to take a flight to qualify for the 30 days because I remember some time ago, a land crossing only gave 15 days? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I suppose an alternative would be to spend my 3rd month outside Thailand and return on visa exempt for my final month

You could get another single entry visa in Laos if you wanted to.

It is 15 days at a border crossing unless you are from a G7 country which allows for a 30 day entry. If you only got a 15 day entry you could get a 30 day extension of it to get you to 4 months.

• Like 1