Shooting at Bangkok shopping mall leaves two dead

webfact

sm.jpg
Image source: Thairath

BANGKOK:-- A man shot dead a woman believed to be his lover, before turning the gun on himself, in front of horrified shoppers at a mall in Bangkok. A nine year old girl was also seriously injured in the incident.

The shooting took place outside the iStudio store on the second floor of the Central Plaza department store in Nonthraburi just after 11am on Sunday.

Pol Lt Supalak Promwong, told reporters that Mr Suchart Pheupradit, 50, used a .38 revolver to shoot Ms Pijakkana Somsakul, 44, three times in the chest. She later died on the way to hospital.

Suchart then shot himself in the head.

A nine year old girl who was sat in a nearby Mezzo Coffee shop was hit in the face by stray bullet and taken to Pranagklao hospital where condition is described as stable.

Police said the deceased had been in a relationship together for several years but that they had recently separated and that jealousy is likely to have been a motive in the shooting.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-02-15

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So sad that Thais resort to killing their lovers so easily. Pathetic logic they use justifying their actions which hurt so many. That poor innocent little girl will never be the same and scarred for life. What is worse is that he actually killed himself because this man needed to suffer for his actions. I hope the young girl can overcome the trauma of her injuries and the future psychological trauma she will incur.

Absolutely disgusting........ And involved in that fiasco an innocent child seriously striped by the bullet.....

Stay home, folks. Don't go shopping anywhere...

yes absolutely!!!! disgusting....this whole lost face syndrome in Thailand... should be addressed early in life and consequences when in the wrong to acknowledgement.... taught in schools how to accept self as well as defeat....

"A man shot dead a woman believed to be his lover, before turning the gun on himself..."

The reason, his rationale, and the fact that it occurred in Thailand aren't the issues here. What seems to be a daily happening, the incidences of public shootings for any number of reasons are publicized in the presses all over the world. After a while, this type of behavior appears to be normal to anyone who is slightly deranged. Add alcohol, saving face, uncontrolled rage, etc., why would anyone be surprised or shocked when this type of event happens in their own communities? If anything, expect to see an increase in these types of killings. There are too many reasons being glorified to perform these acts, and what appears to be nothing being done to identify early signs in people who might commit these acts.

Edited by jaltsc

When you believe in reincarnation, suicide is an easy option.

I think many Thai's do not really believe or care much about Buddhist laws anymore, much like Farang's don't about Christianity.

They go to temples/churches to show everyone how religious they are and then spend the rest of the week being a**holes.

'The Buddha states, "Suicide is a serious sin that equals to murdering the immortal and the one who commits to this sin would not reincarnate for nine generations." It is concluded that suicide is an evil behavior against the Buddhism, the human being, society.'

...and if you have ever been to one of the Thai 'Buddhist Hell' temples you would NOT want to spend 9 generations there ("IF" you really believed in Buddhism).

You could argue that over-riding feelings or emotions contribute to this effect. An insanely jealous boyfriend can murder his girlfriend without thought to the consequences but I rather think it's a non-belief issue since many of the Buddhist laws such as greed, stealing, etc are well thought out plans with little emotion involved, which leads one to believe that they are not at all concerned with punishment in the after life.

You hear of so many here who kill their lovers, and spouses. The level of jealousy and insecurity here is insane. So many kill over love. Why not just walk away, and find a new woman? Why get so myopic, and blinded by love? What is up with that? Why such immaturity?

I often travel separately from my Thai wife. This week she is headed to Korat for a week, to visit some friends, and I am headed to Bangkok and Hua Hin to visit my friends. She often finds my friends boring, as we chat in english all day, about all kinds of things that mean little to her. I can say the same about her, and her friends, who chat in Thai, and even if I could understand it, not sure I would find it interesting or engaging. At least not for hours on end. We are both happy to do so. It is great for the relationship. We both trust each other, and are comfortable with being apart for a little while. She is trying to get some of her friends to join, and NONE of their Thai boyfriends or husbands will let them go. Not even her sister's husband! They are all so terribly insecure. They are all so terribly jealous and possessive. It strikes me as quite unattractive, and petty minded.

Personally, I could not live like that. For me, a little bit of space and independence, in a good long term relationship, is healthy and refreshing. My woman appreciates that too. She is always remarking on how surprised her girlfriends are, that I am ok with her traveling on her own, and how much she treasures that independence and trust. They say their men would never allow that. Seems a bit small minded to me. Such limitation, and such insecurity. Does that simply come from a relative lack of emotional development? I always felt that if one is secure enough in a relationship, you can trust your woman to be on her own a bit, and visa versa. What do you think?

"A man shot dead a woman believed to be his lover, before turning the gun on himself..."

The reason, his rationale, and the fact that it occurred in Thailand aren't the issues here. What seems to be a daily happening, the incidences of public shootings for any number of reasons are publicized in the presses all over the world. After a while, this type of behavior appears to be normal to anyone who is slightly deranged. Add alcohol, saving face, uncontrolled rage, etc., why would anyone be surprised or shocked when this type of event happens in their own communities? If anything, expect to see an increase in these types of killings. There are too many reasons being glorified to perform these acts, and what appears to be nothing being done to identify early signs in people who might commit these acts.

What we have lately is an abundance of news outlets with lightning fast worldwide coverage.

Man has been murdering man as long as he's been around.

So sad that Thais resort to killing their lovers so easily. Pathetic logic they use justifying their actions which hurt so many. That poor innocent little girl will never be the same and scarred for life. What is worse is that he actually killed himself because this man needed to suffer for his actions. I hope the young girl can overcome the trauma of her injuries and the future psychological trauma she will incur.

"So sad that Thais resort to killing their lovers so easily. "

Yes, it's another strictly Thai issue. Nowhere else in the world do people resort to using guns to solve all their problems.

Still find it amazing that people see human failings like this as uniquely Thai problems rather than one that exists, to a greater or lesser degree, virtually everywhere in the world. This sort of unfortunately common place thing wouldn't even merit more than local news coverage in the US, among other places.

In Mahayana Buddhism people who commit suicide are not reborn but remain in Bardo state (perpetual limbo) forever. I am not sure about Himayana Buddhism (which Thailand practices), but I'm sure it is similar.

In Mahayana Buddhism people who commit suicide are not reborn but remain in Bardo state (perpetual limbo) forever. I am not sure about Himayana Buddhism (which Thailand practices), but I'm sure it is similar.

Are you sure? I think Thailand practices Theravada Buddhism - the lazy Buddhists Buddhism ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_in_Thailand

Perhaps Himayana is another word for it but I can only find one reference to it here - https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/44q259/eli5whats_the_differences_between_himayana_and/

and it says 'There are arguably no longer any extant Hinayana denominations. In Southern Asia, rather, Hinayana developed into what is now called Theravada.' Note the different spelling too.

However, Googling on the proper spelling brings many hits e.g. here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinayana

where is said 'The term was widely used in the past by Western scholars to cover "the earliest system of Buddhist doctrine", as the Monier-Williams Sanskrit-English Dictionary put it. It has been used as a synonym for the Theravada tradition, which continues as the main form of Buddhism in Sri Lanka and Southeast Asia.

It also says ' In 1950 the World Fellowship of Buddhists declared that the term Hīnayana should not be used when referring to any form of Buddhism existing today.' Therefore it's obsolete and subsumed into Theravada Buddhism.

So you seem to be a little out of date. And confused.

While in the USA they kill for mostly misguided and delusional religion reasons, here they kill in the name of love.... somehow, they find it a befitting end for their troubles in life....

Name of love ??? Of all the shootings I have seen here,

seems all of them were a bizarre combination of loss

of face, and jealousy that a new man was boinking the

former love of his life.....

sm.jpg

Image source: Thairath

BANGKOK:-- A man shot dead a woman believed to be his lover, before turning the gun on himself, in front of horrified shoppers at a mall in Bangkok. A nine year old girl was also seriously injured in the incident.

The shooting took place outside the iStudio store on the second floor of the Central Plaza department store in Nonthraburi just after 11am on Sunday.

Pol Lt Supalak Promwong, told reporters that Mr Suchart Pheupradit, 50, used a .38 revolver to shoot Ms Pijakkana Somsakul, 44, three times in the chest. She later died on the way to hospital.

Suchart then shot himself in the head.

A nine year old girl who was sat in a nearby Mezzo Coffee shop was hit in the face by stray bullet and taken to Pranagklao hospital where condition is described as stable.

Police said the deceased had been in a relationship together for several years but that they had recently separated and that jealousy is likely to have been a motive in the shooting.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png

-- 2016-02-15[/

According to my gf there has just been a similar occurrence in siem reap. She says that after her parents refused her permission to marry because he had married before she split from her bf who threatened to kill her. Her family have been protecting her every day but on 13th she said she was just going to the market but in fact went to a guesthouse to meet her ex. He turned up and attacked her with a knife, cut off her head completely, then took it to burn, at that point the police caught up with him and took him into custody. So it happens everywhere.

"So sad that Thais resort to killing their lovers so easily. "

Yes, it's another strictly Thai issue. Nowhere else in the world do people resort to using guns to solve all their problems.

Still find it amazing that people see human failings like this as uniquely Thai problems rather than one that exists, to a greater or lesser degree, virtually everywhere in the world. This sort of unfortunately common place thing wouldn't even merit more than local news coverage in the US, among other places.

could not agree more...

You hear of so many here who kill their lovers, and spouses. The level of jealousy and insecurity here is insane. So many kill over love. Why not just walk away, and find a new woman? Why get so myopic, and blinded by love? What is up with that? Why such immaturity?

I often travel separately from my Thai wife. This week she is headed to Korat for a week, to visit some friends, and I am headed to Bangkok and Hua Hin to visit my friends. She often finds my friends boring, as we chat in english all day, about all kinds of things that mean little to her. I can say the same about her, and her friends, who chat in Thai, and even if I could understand it, not sure I would find it interesting or engaging. At least not for hours on end. We are both happy to do so. It is great for the relationship. We both trust each other, and are comfortable with being apart for a little while. She is trying to get some of her friends to join, and NONE of their Thai boyfriends or husbands will let them go. Not even her sister's husband! They are all so terribly insecure. They are all so terribly jealous and possessive. It strikes me as quite unattractive, and petty minded.

Personally, I could not live like that. For me, a little bit of space and independence, in a good long term relationship, is healthy and refreshing. My woman appreciates that too. She is always remarking on how surprised her girlfriends are, that I am ok with her traveling on her own, and how much she treasures that independence and trust. They say their men would never allow that. Seems a bit small minded to me. Such limitation, and such insecurity. Does that simply come from a relative lack of emotional development? I always felt that if one is secure enough in a relationship, you can trust your woman to be on her own a bit, and visa versa. What do you think?

I think you've hit it on the head; it's a lack of emotional capacity. In this instance the "little brat having the tantrum" just happened to have a gun - they just seem incapable of dealing with things rationally and responsibly.