I Now Hate Thai Food.

baboon

These pickled eggs are quite different from the English ones. You can get salty eggs here that are pickled in brine, but the ones i am referring to have a pink shell and the white of the egg is a dark red jelly when you remove the shell. the yolk is dark also and is hard with a soft centre.

Both are available in Lotus in packs of 4 (usually near the normal eggs). The salty ones (which are duck eggs I believe) are white, but go for the pink ones. Yummy.

thanx for that...I'll have try it out, with a 4 pack you can't go wrong. All this discussion has got me thinkin' about my last pickled egg effort (about 30 years ago) that was magnificent...inna gallon jar but can't remember the brine recipie...mostly vinegar as I remember. Gonna have to try that one out on the family...if I don't eat them all meself...

• 2 weeks later...
your tastebuds need to be reset to ground state.... this happened to me as well... the cure is something big and meaty like a steak or a whole chicken... and something spicy as hel_l. Am now back to enjoying everything again

:D

ps brush your tongue!!!

There may well be something in what you say. However, I feel that for the OP this advice may have come too late and that the only solution now will be a total tongue transplant. :o

It seems to be a well established phenomenon that Isaan ladies, who generally only seem to eat ridiculously chili-laden som tam, are incapable of tasting anything less spicy. I'm generalising, of course. Mind you, the Japanaese wasabi mustard that you eat with sashimi and sushi can still blow the top off my GF's head. Not chili based so must use a different set of taste buds, maybe.

DM

• 2 weeks later...

"...sigh, have to retire in front of the laptop with the 'torture mansion virgins' website..."

Wow. What's a torture mansion virgin ? I keep getting directed to a long list of sites for an old movie. I think you watch something cool while you eat your mild Thai food.

GOtta link for that ?

And as for me. I go in phases. Now I steer away from super hot foods most of the time. You end up eating hot n spicy allthe time without seeking it out. But mainly I like Kwaytiyao Luk Chin, Khao Pad, Pad See Ew, and Raad Hna. I can spice these as much as I like, and I do. They probably make up 1/2 my meals now. Then a mix of gaeng this and gaeng that from the market for dinner with some kaho niyao. :o

Gaeng Fahk Kiyao also pleasantly mild for a red curry soup, and a pleasure to say every time.

Is it all foods or just Thai that has lost its flavor? I ask because certain brain turmos can cause a loss of taste.

As for me, I also really have hit my limit with Thai food. I now see food as a necessary evil. I see eating as just something I have to do.... Kind of like sex for my wife... but that is a different topic.

Any how, I have lost about 20 lbs. The same happened to me in Taiwan. Food just became something you had to intake, my tongue became disconected from my brain (so to speak) and I developed a tallent to be able to eat some pretty disgusting things, and smile while doing so.

Any how, wish you luck.

I sometimes feel that I cannot eat Thai food anymore, but wouldn't say that I hate it...

In my office the only food available is THAI food-- noodles, curries, chicken, spicy salads so I have to eat that every lunch. Some of them are good, but I find that they are Thai fastfood-- usually very oily and not really cooked well (not the way I like it though)... So for dinner, I do not have any more cravings for Thai food like I usually do. I stick to healthier food for dinner...

Of course I still enjoy good Thai food from time to time...

Try mixing up some thai food with farang favorites. My hubby makes me kapao gai but instead of rice serves it with pasta & garlic bread. Make a chicken fillet or pork steak & mash potatoe instead of gravy try it with a thai sauce or curry. Go fusion. I find rice every day so boring & after a couple of weeks of it every day I will gag at the sight of it. Another favorite is a thai curry like pengang or masman & instead of rice, eat it with chapais or naan bread.

Try mixing up some thai food with farang favorites. My hubby makes me kapao gai but instead of rice serves it with pasta & garlic bread. Make a chicken fillet or pork steak & mash potatoe instead of gravy try it with a thai sauce or curry. Go fusion. I find rice every day so boring & after a couple of weeks of it every day I will gag at the sight of it. Another favorite is a thai curry like pengang or masman & instead of rice, eat it with chapais or naan bread.

This is a good idea .. in the baan I often mop up Thai curry sauces and soups with thick crusty wholewheat bread ... lovely .. mix and match is the way to go.

A few years ago myself and a mate made a batch of meat pies with the flagship green chicken curry pie .. east meets west .. booooooootiful ! :o

Edited by davidjtayler

Is it all foods or just Thai that has lost its flavor? I ask because certain brain turmos can cause a loss of taste.

As for me, I also really have hit my limit with Thai food. I now see food as a necessary evil. I see eating as just something I have to do.... Kind of like sex for my wife... but that is a different topic.

Any how, I have lost about 20 lbs. The same happened to me in Taiwan. Food just became something you had to intake, my tongue became disconected from my brain (so to speak) and I developed a tallent to be able to eat some pretty disgusting things, and smile while doing so.

Any how, wish you luck.

Thats just plain weird :o

Some people seem to thrive on eating the same food all of the time, but others (myself included) cannot.

My theory is that if the food you are eating is your native cuisine, you'll have a high tolerance to repetitive feeds of that food, but if it's not, it'll wear you down sooner or later.

Your body will have tailored the digestive enzyme ratios to what you prefer to eat, and after a while of eating the "wrong" (wrong in that it's not what you are accustomed to eating from childhood) foods, your system will rebel.

If you starve an Asian of rice, soon they'll have a craving for it, but westerners tend to have a craving for other foods, meat and potato in particular.

My GF just cannot stomach much potato (occasionally she will enjoy it as a treat), but must have her rice....and has a high tolerance for corn. I enjoy rice, but never crave it, and corn does nothing for me.

My suggestion to the OP is to always vary what you eat, and eat Thai food only as a treat and not as a staple...if that is at all possible where you live.

I live in Pattaya, therefore I have an endless supply of any cuisine I desire, but the international cuisines usually cost more than the local Thai fare. I believe a lot of farangs eat too much Thai food merely to save money, and if they were honest with themselves would prefer, for example, a high quality steak or seafood meal.

Edited by tropo

The first time I was in Asia, December 1965, I loved the noodles and Chinese food in Singapore.

After about a week I woke up one day and could not face it, not another Chinese meal!! My mate, who was from Leeds in England took me down to a hotel on the wharf and bought me a bowl of tinned tomato soup, probably Campbells with fresh bread and butter. It was the best meal I had ever eaten.

Next day I was back on Chinese food and never suffered again. To this day I prefer Asian food and avoid 'Falang' food of any kind except rolled outs for breakfast.

My solution? Tinned tomato soup, fresh white bread and butter.

Edited by Niloc

Next day I was back on Chinese food and never suffered again. To this day I prefer Asian food and avoid 'Falang' food of any kind except rolled outs for breakfast.

You're obviously one of the people that, as I mentioned, can thrive on the same food for ever. Thais obviously always eat Thai food, Chinese stick to Chinese food, Indians stick with Indian food, Filipinos love Filipino food and so on and so forth for most nations on earth.

I had a long run with oats myself years ago. I can no longer stomach them even after a 10 year break. Maybe this is more common if a person over consumes a specific food for too long.

It's the expats that force themselves to adapt their palate to "strange" cuisines that often have problems, but as in your case, not always.

BTW, what is Farang food? Any non-Thai food perhaps? That's a lot of food choices you've given up.