North Korean follows path to freedom in Bangkok

webfact

Not exactly smart to attract so much publicity in the "West" ....it surely would not be too difficult for NK agents to locate her after she leaves the Shangri-La.

Usually, the Dear Leader executes all remaining members of the fugitive's family.

"Usually, the Dear Leader executes all remaining members of the fugitive's family."

Completely untrue, but well in keeping with a lot of the other nonsense one reads on the subject of the DPRK on Thaivisa.

Are you an attaché at the N Korean (sorry, Embassy of the DPRK) in Bangkok by any chance? (Your avatar would suggest so)

I see your words are as unprovable, beyond all doubt, as mine are. However, the history of all totalitarianism suggests that your family is in danger, back home, when you decide to eff off.

No I am not an attaché of any DPRK embassy anywhere in the world and never have been.

The collective punishment of families did indeed happen under Kim Il Sung but was discontinued in the late 90s by Kim Jong Il by his "Do not make internal enemies" edict.

Are you an attaché at the N Korean (sorry, Embassy of the DPRK) in Bangkok by any chance? (Your avatar would suggest so)

I see your words are as unprovable, beyond all doubt, as mine are. However, the history of all totalitarianism suggests that your family is in danger, back home, when you decide to eff off.

No I am not an attaché of any DPRK embassy anywhere in the world and never have been.

The collective punishment of families did indeed happen under Kim Il Sung but was discontinued in the late 90s by Kim Jong Il by his "Do not make internal enemies" edict.

I would think that is a fairly bold statement. There is no independent foreign media presence in the DPRK or really any other verifiable source of information. Even the defectors in many cases have an agenda. But still, many of them do indeed state that their biggest fear in escaping is what can happen to their family left behind.

I don't think there were many defectors during Kim Il Sung's reign since until China really opened up and the economy developed there was nowhere to escape to.

I would think that is a fairly bold statement. There is no independent foreign media presence in the DPRK or really any other verifiable source of information. Even the defectors in many cases have an agenda. But still, many of them do indeed state that their biggest fear in escaping is what can happen to their family left behind.

I don't think there were many defectors during Kim Il Sung's reign since until China really opened up and the economy developed there was nowhere to escape to.

There is no foreign media presence but there are analysts who are very good at fitting the pieces together and forming a reasonably clear picture. Check out Bradley Martin or Andrei Lankov, who has some interesting videos on YouTube, for example. He has studied there and seems pretty accurate in his predictions.

Edit: Here is one you might find interesting though not really related to defectors:

Back on the subject of defectors, many have also stated they would go back if they could and very few cite political dissatisfaction as their reason for leaving.

Edited by baboon

One of the most saddening stories regards the Hmong people of Laos.

If you can get through this without crying, you are cold blooded.

Youtube: Hunted Like Animals. 1:15:43

Anyone interested in the terrifying journey that North Koreans have to undertake in order to escape from the vile regime that runs their country should read:

In Order to Live - A North Korean Girl's Journey to Freedom, by Yeonmi Park.

Fairly easily available as an e-book if you know where to look.

It also featured as a BBC "Book of the Week” which appears to be no longer available but I am quite happy to share with anyone

After a long journey through China and dealing with abuse and corrupt officials, she still has to endure months of interrogation in South Korea to “prove” that she is in fact from the North.

I watched the documentary and read a lot of controversy regarding her authenticity. A lot of folks saying she made up most of the stuff as she was much too young to remember it all that vividly...anyway, a good story and I'm sure there's a lot of people doing the same as she describes.

Edited by Nowisee

Back on the subject of defectors, many have also stated they would go back if they could and very few cite political dissatisfaction as their reason for leaving.

Yes I have read about that happening. Very sad. I guess that apart from missing their family and friends they find South Korea just too overwhelming and impersonal and they're not equipped to cope with it.

Imagine knowing that all your family is (what should be) a couple of hours drive away but it is entirely possible that you will never see them again.

if she's North Korean she will feel at home in Thailand then

A tad of an exaggeration?

Have you or the geniuses who liked your post ever been to NK, on business, holiday or lived there?

Somehow I am willing to believe the worst about NK and its leader. Heck, I still believe the worst about Saddam Hussein too.

if she's North Korean she will feel at home in Thailand then

A tad of an exaggeration?

Have you or the geniuses who liked your post ever been to NK, on business, holiday or lived there?

Somehow I am willing to believe the worst about NK and its leader. Heck, I still believe the worst about Saddam Hussein too.

and you still believe that you will fall in love with a nice / good / clean loving girl in Nana :-) (Joking before anyone jumps on the post)

• 2 weeks later...

Brave girl. I wonder however, if her all relatives are now imprisoned in a concentration camp as a North Korea standard practice, or outcome.

Didn't she make it out 8 years ago?

In that case her family have probably perished by now.