FYI Annual Retirement extension (Koh Samui)

I went to Samui Immigration today and got a pleasant surprise. Gone is the jostling for a place at the counter inside, instead we had to queue at a window outside, where a young lady waited to check our documents, sending us to the adjacent photo copy shop for anything that had been forgotten. Once cleared we were given a number and told to go inside and pay 1900 bht (as noted on the TM7. After that we had to wait outside to be called, which in my case was 5 mins. Once called I was directed to a room where an officer was already perusing my paperwork, without making a big deal over the original TM6 which I'd left at home. I was in and out within an unprecedented hour. Anyway, the following is a list of documents required in Samui:

ORIGINALS. TM7

Google map showing co-ordinates of where you live

Letter from (in my case) British Consulate confirming annual pension (unless you have had 800,000 baht in your THAI bank account for 3 months or more)

Passport, TM6 Arrival card, evidence of 90 day reporting (remember that if you report online there is nothing in your passport)

Bank Book

Bank statement (last 3 months)

PHOTO COPIES. Passport (all relevant pages with personal information, visas, extensions, re-entry permits etc)

TM6

Bank book (12 months activity)

You don't need a medical certificate, blood test or proof of address, nor do you have to pay 5000 baht as some have suggested!

FEE, 1900 baht.

Finally, it never hurts to have additional documentation as Samui Immigration are renowned for "moving the goalposts" Take anything that you think you may be asked for, although they do seem to have finally got their house in order!

Edited by delgarcon
  • Like 2

I had a photo copy of the TM6. These people make it up as they go along don't they! I read somewhere that the bank letter shouldn't be more than a week old. So in Nakohn Si Thammarat you've got to wait for the bank to open before you can go to the Immigration office?

"nor do you have to pay 5000 baht as some have suggested!"

This not depend on you...
I am obliged to pay 5000 baths since 2 years.
When i give my paper, all in order, i am ready to pay like every people, and ladys behind counter told me each time : Later.

So later, i am called in the back room with Mr Birdman, as people call him (dont know why) and he hang me my passport saying 5000......

The dreaded birdman bah.gif king of the creative price list.

I heard he retired. Hopefully for you lot that still live in Samui.

I've done 3 Retirement extensions in Samui. Never got charged more than the 1900. Last August I tried to give them an extra 100B because they were so nice and efficient. They wouldn't take. I asked if they had a "tip" box and they said, "no have". coffee1.gif

When i give my paper, all in order, i am ready to pay like every people, and ladys behind counter told me each time : Later.

So later, i am called in the back room with Mr Birdman, as people call him (dont know why) and he hang me my passport saying 5000......

And you, like an idiot, pay it. Well I've got news for you, you wont have to pay it anymore. Read my post again and make sure that you have all of your documents and 1900 bht, which you will be asked for before you even see a police officer. It even tells you on the TM7 that the fee is 1900 bht. Someone saw you coming!

Edited by delgarcon

I've done 3 Retirement extensions in Samui. Never got charged more than the 1900. Last August I tried to give them an extra 100B because they were so nice and efficient. They wouldn't take. I asked if they had a "tip" box and they said, "no have". coffee1.gif

I have done 10 Retirement Visas and never paid more than the 1,900 baht. As for why is the Guy called Mr Birdman, his name is Nok, which in Thai means Bird. He also helped me (at no charge) to sort our a self inflicted nonsense I made of an exit/entry permit I did a couple of years ago. Mind you, rather than offering money to the Staff, we normally drop off some cookies each time for them to share round, which seem to be gratefully received.

However, still confused as to why they need a copy of and to see, my Bank Book when I produce the letter of confirmation of income from the British Embassy? Also, why do they need the Google map photocopy and the Northings and Eastings written down of where I live - they have my address on the application form. Am I missing something here or is it just a case of TIT?

Edited by robertson468

Be grateful that they accept a Google Maps printout. Some immigration offices refuse it and and insist on a hand-drawn schematic map.

Sri Ratcha insist on a hand drawn map but it is only required for marriage extension.

I got caught out a couple of years ago. My wife had to hurriedly draw up a map and she was told to put road names in Thai. The IO said it was in case immigration decided on a house visit.

And you, like an idiot, pay it. Well I've got news for you, you wont have to pay it anymore. Read my post again and make sure that you have all of your documents and 1900 bht, which you will be asked for before you even see a police officer. It even tells you on the TM7 that the fee is 1900 bht. Someone saw you coming!

I know its write 1900 baths.

I had the 2 times all documents in order, and i am ready to pay right away the 1900 baths, but they refused.

Then again, later i am called in the backroom with no officer but Mr Birdman who ASK me for 5000 baths hanging my passport in his hand.

I know that i am not the only one who is ask to pay that.

He is never in uniform so i guess he is retired but still working here.

I am from Koh Pha Ngan, maybe the reason, i dont know.

Next time i will refused to pay that and ask for an officer !....

But what if suddenly they refused to give me my extension ????

U will be there to help me, hein ????

• Like 1

I have done 10 Retirement Visas and never paid more than the 1,900 baht. As for why is the Guy called Mr Birdman, his name is Nok, which in Thai means Bird. He also helped me (at no charge) to sort our a self inflicted nonsense I made of an exit/entry permit I did a couple of years ago. Mind you, rather than offering money to the Staff, we normally drop off some cookies each time for them to share round, which seem to be gratefully received.

However, still confused as to why they need a copy of and to see, my Bank Book when I produce the letter of confirmation of income from the British Embassy? Also, why do they need the Google map photocopy and the Northings and Eastings written down of where I live - they have my address on the application form. Am I missing something here or is it just a case of TIT?

I have never offer any money. Noone give me the chance to pay only 1900 baths.

Special treatment for Koh Pha Ngan people, or i dont know.

F..K !

I wish I were on Samui island and could accompany you to the immigration office for your extension of stay and speak to the immigration officer on your behalf.

If I remember correctly, Samui, or was it Phuket, or both, started asking 5,000 Baht for a one-year extension of stay a couple of years ago and when someone paid he was a marked man for future extension.

I remember somebody posting that he was able to break out of this vicious cycle by putting exactly 1,900 Baht in an envelope and writing on the envelope

1,900 Baht

fee for extension of stay

1. Make sure that you have no other money in your pocket.
  2. Run a recording app on your phone, eg https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andrwq.recorder
  3. Return to the home screen. The recording app will continue running in the background
  4. Put your phone in the breast pocket of your shirt, with the microphone pointing up
  5. If the officer asks for more than 1,900 Baht, tell him that you understand that the correct fee is 1,900 Baht
  6. If the officer insists on a higher amount, tell him that you have to call a friend because you don't have more money with you.
  7. Take out your phone (keep the recorder running in the background), dial 1178,which is the hotline of the Immigration Bureau, switch on the speaker, and tell the person who answers that you are at the Samui immigration office, have submitted your application for extension of stay to the officer xxx, the officer confirmed that all documents are in order, but insists on x Baht instead of the correct fee of 1'900 Baht? "What should I do? I don't want to be guilty of corruption"
  8. Then take it from there.
  9. If you are sent to a higher-ranking officer, repeat the procedure (start a new recording for it). Give 1178 the name of this officer, too.

Throughout all this, remain calm (difficult, but you must), talk softly, smile. Any other problem, remember 1178.

• Like 1

I wish I were on Samui island and could accompany you to the immigration office for your extension of stay and speak to the immigration officer on your behalf.

If I remember correctly, Samui, or was it Phuket, or both, started asking 5,000 Baht for a one-year extension of stay a couple of years ago and when someone paid he was a marked man for future extension.

I remember somebody posting that he was able to break out of this vicious cycle by putting exactly 1,900 Baht in an envelope and writing on the envelope

1,900 Baht

2. Run a recording app on your phone, eg https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andrwq.recorder
  3. Return to the home screen. The recording app will continue running in the background
  4. Put your phone in the breast pocket of your shirt, with the microphone pointing up
  5. If the officer asks for more than 1,900 Baht, tell him that you understand that the correct fee is 1,900 Baht
  6. If the officer insists on a higher amount, tell him that you have to call a friend because you don't have more money with you.
  7. Take out your phone (keep the recorder running in the background), dial 1178,which is the hotline of the Immigration Bureau, switch on the speaker, and tell the person who answers that you are at the Samui immigration office, have submitted your application for extension of stay to the officer xxx, the officer confirmed that all documents are in order, but insists on x Baht instead of the correct fee of 1'900 Baht? "What should I do? I don't want to be guilty of corruption"
  9. If you are sent to a higher-ranking officer, repeat the procedure (start a new recording for it). Give 1178 the name of this officer, too.

Throughout all this, remain calm (difficult, but you must), talk softly, smile. Any other problem, remember 1178.

Thanx.... Easy to say, but not so easy to do.

The thing is, i never saw any officer...

Just the ladys at the entrance vagely checking my paper and refusing my money, the Mr Birdman.

I have never been called to see any officer..

Maybe next time, i will try to come with a representant of my embassy who is in Koh Samui.

Dont know.

I know for sure 2 people who live in koh pha ngan and have to pay these 5000, 1 on retirement since 3 years and the other one on mariage since about 10 years,,,,

Thanx for your advice anyway.

1,900 Baht

Thanx.... Easy to say, but not so easy to do.

The thing is, i never saw any officer...

Just the ladys at the entrance vagely checking my paper and refusing my money, the Mr Birdman.

I have never been called to see any officer..

Maybe next time, i will try to come with a representant of my embassy who is in Koh Samui.

Dont know.

I know for sure 2 people who live in koh pha ngan and have to pay these 5000, 1 on retirement since 3 years and the other one on mariage since about 10 years,,,,

Thanx for your advice anyway.

Michemiche I live on Koh Phangan as well, it has nothing to do with the fee! Anyway, as I have said, it's more organised now in Samui and as long as your paperwork is in order you wont be asked for more than 1900 bht next time, the thief seems to have been got rid of.

• Like 1

Wait and see....
I know of course that it has nothing to do with the fee which i know since the beginning are 1900 baths.
My paper are allways in VERY good order. i work on it to be sure to not miss anything when i go.

He was still here last september......
I will look next month if he still there when i go to make my 90 day report.
Thanx for your message anyway.