"I'll have the usual" in Thai?

Wopanese

I often eat the same meal at the restaurant I frequent in my neighborhood. Recently, the owner told me that the phrase I should say is:

เหมือนดื่ม

That literally translates into "same" and "drink", doesn't it? Can I use it for food, too?

Thanks!

It'sanother word that sounds similar - เหมือนเดิม - same as before

Yup, that's it. I've used the saying way too many times at my favorite gai yang (barbeque chicken) joint. I suppose it would work for drinks too at a bar but I've only used it for ordering food (where they know what I normally order).

It'sanother word that sounds similar - เหมือนเดิม - same as before

Yup, that's it. I've used the saying way too many times at my favorite gai yang (barbeque chicken) joint. I suppose it would work for drinks too at a bar but I've only used it for ordering food (where they know what I normally order).

From my experience it works for everything and is very usually employed : an example ; I know a girl ( for sleeping ) that I have not seen for a long time; when I asked her how much is it, she answered: เหมือนเดิม ( same price as before )

เดิม means " originally, at the beginning " , and is also used in "tee deerm " ( ที่เดิม ) , "at the same place", for instance, you have met somebody somewhere or have bought something somewhere and to say " appointment or buy at the same place than before ", you say "ที่เดิม"

I hear เดิม a numerous of time, don't hesitate to employ it , it shows that you know the language ( may be one of our Thai fellows on this forum will say it's not correct, but that's how Thai people around me speak )

เดิม means " originally, at the beginning " , and is also used in "tee deerm " ( ที่เดิม ) , "at the same place", for instance, you have met somebody somewhere or have bought something somewhere and to say " appointment or buy at the same place than before ", you say "ที่เดิม"

I hear เดิม a numerous of time, don't hesitate to employ it , it shows that you know the language ( may be one of our Thai fellows on this forum will say it's not correct, but that's how Thai people around me speak )

เดิม means "as previously"

• 2 weeks later...

เหมือนเดิม

I always use this expression when I want the same thing as last time. It has never failed to produce want I want, that is, same as last time.

Difficult to pronounce correctly. Practice it with an educated Thai - not a bar girl from the northeast - about 200 times and you will eventually get it right. smile.png

From my experience it works for everything and is very usually employed : an example ; I know a girl ( for sleeping ) that I have not seen for a long time; when I asked her how much is it, she answered: เหมือนเดิม ( same price as before )

Indeed. Also had a girl one time use เหมือนเก่า, that works too. When it was a long time since the last time, and we'd only been together once, so it wasn't a usual occurrence.

RzEURRT.png

Every Isan bargirl I have talked to could speak Central Thai better than any Farang I have ever met, so I don't really understand this antipathy against Isan bargirls.

So practice away, with whomever you like biggrin.png

Right! I don't understand this antipahy either: they are Thai, they understand what is said on television, radio, they speak Thai completely fluent, and I have not notice that their Thai is ugly or vulgar

Be nice if you numbnuts could supply the English phonetics

Sadly there is no one standard way of writing Thai in English (unlike say mandarin or Japanese).. I prefer using the International Phonetic Alphabet, There is a government recommended method and seemingly every Thai textbook or website has its own version. Look at some previous posts on here and you will soon see that attempts to put the Thai can get very confusing. I think many posters feel it is better to invest a bit of time learning the Thai alphabet to be consistent.

Every Isan bargirl I have talked to could speak Central Thai better than any Farang I have ever met, so I don't really understand this antipathy against Isan bargirls.

So practice away, with whomever you like biggrin.png

Right! I don't understand this antipahy either: they are Thai, they understand what is said on television, radio, they speak Thai completely fluent, and I have not notice that their Thai is ugly or vulgar

OK, let's modify it. An educated Thai from any part of Thailand, including the north-east. Having any sort of job, including bar girl. But I stand by educated. People that drop out of school in Pratom 3 are usually not good teachers of anything.