PM Prayut says further discussions needed to decide whether monks can own assets

webfact

Why does ot require discussion when Buddha's teachings clearly state that a buddhist monk can't and shouldn't possess anything?

So tired of this Thai hypocrisy... violin.gif

I'm not sure if it was the Buddha's own words or some of his senior disciples, but yes the teachings clearly say dump all your possessions. I'm pretty sure the Buddha didn't also want the monks to be lying around some temple all the time. If Buddhist monks can't follow the teachings in the present time, the teachings need to be up dated.

Why does ot require discussion when Buddha's teachings clearly state that a buddhist monk can't and shouldn't possess anything?

I'm not sure if it was the Buddha's own words or some of his senior disciples, but yes the teachings clearly say dump all your possessions. I'm pretty sure the Buddha didn't also want the monks to be lying around some temple all the time. If Buddhist monks can't follow the teachings in the present time, the teachings need to be up dated.

Or the monks should be able to forced to make the choice of "no earthly possessions" or g.t.f.o.....

Why should the Buddha's rules be changed for lazy monks that want personal wealth AS WELL AS the life of a Monk?? ....

Or the monks should be able to forced to make the choice of "no earthly possessions" or g.t.f.o.....

Why should the Buddha's rules be changed for lazy monks that want personal wealth AS WELL AS the life of a Monk?? ....

Watch what happens when this abbot from Wat Paknam takes over as the Supreme Patriarch. His buddy the abbot of Wat Dhammakaya is living like a prince now, soon he will be living like a king.

I see monks at shopping malls all the time. Where do they get the money ?

They get donations from the poor in 10s and 20 bahts…from people who can barley afford to feed themselves. All religions are the same….look at tithing, or the donations for plenary indulgences in the RC faith. Frankly it sickens me. If the Sangha can't find a single guy who is not tainted to lead the religion then it's a poor show.

I thought one of the principle of Buddhism was to not have assets....

Still in today's world they need assets. I know monks that can carry all their belongings with no problem and have no money but what happens that day when they get sick, even a monk should get a health insurance because there is no such thing as free health care in Thailand any more. So monks need some assets for everyday things like travels, seeing the doctor, medicines, phones, computers, books and so on that in the past would not have been needed.

Monks like Luang Phor Koon and Luang Ta Maha Bua made a lot of money but put it back in to the community thru temples, schools, hospitals, roads and so on. Compare them to other monks that keep a lot of money and assets just for their own benefit...

A foreigner living as monk in Thailand will also need to keep assets for his visa and extensions of stay as that cost as much for them as it cost for the rest of us and it's even more important with a healt insurance for them as the don't fall under the 30 Baht healthcare system that is available for Thais.

My monk bro in law was booted out when he got sick.Rekon they couldn't or wouldn't look after him.So much for caring and sharing.

What's to discuss? Buddhist monks are not supposed to own assets, as simple as that.

I have no problem with a monk owning a tooth brush, a drinking glass or a few sandals, because these possessions can hardly be considered as "assets".

it's becoming a little murkier if monks own smartphones or other electronics, as these gadgets can be expensive.

But it is absolutely inconceivable that a monk - and especially an abbot! - should own even a car, or considerable amounts of land or cash or buildings or hold company shares of any kind. These are assets in the sense of the word.

This should apply to "full-time" monks only, of course. I don't think "temporary" monks - as most Thai males spend some time as a monk at least once during their lives - should be expected to sell off their assets just because they're going to join the monkhood for a few months.

Saw a monk driving a car last year,missus nearly jumped out the car.

Here's an interesting article ;- https://asiancorrespondent.com/2015/12/buddhist-extremism-in-thailand-fits-neatly-into-juntas-plans/

Slightly off topic but relevant to say the least.

To Quote the link

The Buddhist establishment can provide the perfect means for an ever increasingly unpopular leader to get back in the driving seat. With more than 90 percent of the population declaring their attachment to Buddhist traditions, the religion is the common thread between the state (read military) and the people.

Getting the Sangha on his side as well, Prayuth could secure the whole deck of political aces. In a country crippled by strict top-down societal conditioning, questioning the motives of all three of the nation’s most revered institutions is almost impossible

Edited by tukkytuktuk

I thought one of the principle of Buddhism was to not have assets....

Still in today's world they need assets. I know monks that can carry all their belongings with no problem and have no money but what happens that day when they get sick, even a monk should get a health insurance because there is no such thing as free health care in Thailand any more. So monks need some assets for everyday things like travels, seeing the doctor, medicines, phones, computers, books and so on that in the past would not have been needed.

Monks like Luang Phor Koon and Luang Ta Maha Bua made a lot of money but put it back in to the community thru temples, schools, hospitals, roads and so on. Compare them to other monks that keep a lot of money and assets just for their own benefit...

A foreigner living as monk in Thailand will also need to keep assets for his visa and extensions of stay as that cost as much for them as it cost for the rest of us and it's even more important with a healt insurance for them as the don't fall under the 30 Baht healthcare system that is available for Thais.

In Chiang Mai there is a hospital for monks they can use, they get travel money from the abbot where they stay or family

Yes, there is one in Lopburi also, but they only serve Thai monks, foreigner monks have to pay cash. Kasset Tak has it correct.

Wasn't the Buddha's point that monks should be wholly dependant on the host community as a check that if monks cease to have use to them then they should cease to exist. If we take the case of foreign monks if host community doesn't want or need to support them then should they not go to a community that does. From where I am standing the more exceptions you make the murkier the waters become.

3 reasons why Thai Buddhism is under the spotlight. From this article:-

http://sea-globe.com/thai-nationalism-and-the-rise-of-buddhist-extremism/

1)

“Making Buddhism a national religion forms part of an attempt to return to imagined earlier certainties and unities, and to reify and reinforce the existence of a ‘Thai-ness’ that now seems increasingly elusive.”

2)

Buddhism in Thailand is also being attacked from ‘within’. He worries that the immoral behaviour of monks is increasing and that this is “destroying” the reputation of the religion.

3)

One way to provide some stability to this political confusion, said Chachavalpongpun, would be to promote Buddhism as a form of social cohesion. “Particularly now that Thailand is under the custody of the military, an obedient society is needed. And Buddhism can be used toward fulfilling that agenda,” he said

What's to discuss? Buddhist monks are not supposed to own assets, as simple as that.

I have no problem with a monk owning a tooth brush, a drinking glass or a few sandals, because these possessions can hardly be considered as "assets".

it's becoming a little murkier if monks own smartphones or other electronics, as these gadgets can be expensive.

But it is absolutely inconceivable that a monk - and especially an abbot! - should own even a car, or considerable amounts of land or cash or buildings or hold company shares of any kind. These are assets in the sense of the word.

This should apply to "full-time" monks only, of course. I don't think "temporary" monks - as most Thai males spend some time as a monk at least once during their lives - should be expected to sell off their assets just because they're going to join the monkhood for a few months.

Saw a monk driving a car last year,missus nearly jumped out the car.

Driving himselfohmy.png ? That's definitely not acceptablegiggle.gif

post-6925-0-17121700-1456059729_thumb.jp

From an old article 2006.

The rally lasted no less than 16 hours without a single violent incident, despite government-stoked alarmist signals. Early on Sunday, Sondhi's Buddhist master Buddha Issara led communal prayers, followed by a merit-making ceremony performed for 99 monks

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/HB07Ae04.html

A political monk, groomed by the P.A.D and now the military.

post-145516-14560616206064_thumb.jpg

Err ! How long has Bhuddism been around. Surely they have had enough time to make such a decision by now !

yes the decision was made 2,500 years ago but Thailand is thinking about it now under Section 44 which was not available back then (someone familiar with the matter informed me)

There is a huge difference between being allowed to possess assets, which are needed for maintenance of temples, transportation of the monks, etc, and amassing a fortune. When one reads about monks owning exotic car collections, and amassing personal fortunes, that is so far over the line, that in a reasonable setting, it would not have to even be discussed. Reminds one of the Jerry Falwell types in the US, except he does not claim to be a monk, which requires certain levels of renunciation, if you expect to be taken seriously, that is.

The new guy, who is up for appointment for the top post, sounds highly unqualified for the appointment. Hope he is denied.