Rules of the Thai deli counter (are there any?)

Jingthing

I order in Thai so they know I understand Thai numbers. They also know I would understand if they bothered to ask me if the amount they added to the order was OK or not before they wrap and expect me to accept an over order. They aren't even trying. They don't CARE. This one isn't about language. I really wondered if this is about an exceptionally poorly run store in customer service or whether there was some cultural thing about expecting to just accept way over orders and never complaining. I realize in Thai culture complaining about anything, regardless of whether the complaint has merit, tends to label the complainer as a trouble maker, etc. From a "face" POV I can also see that refusing to accept an over order may be seen as a declaration of Cheap Charlieness which of course from a foreigner would tend to reduce your status here and may invite disrespect.

Chances are they are messing with you on purpose.

"Here comes the guy with OCD again. Lets see how he reacts to am extra 40g today"

booooooooom

ROFL

Still Laughing. That one saved my day...

This will be known as the 100g Salmon topic muahahha

Could be. So what?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I order in Thai so they know I understand Thai numbers. They also know I would understand if they bothered to ask me if the amount they added to the order was OK or not before they wrap and expect me to accept an over order. They aren't even trying. They don't CARE. This one isn't about language. I really wondered if this is about an exceptionally poorly run store in customer service or whether there was some cultural thing about expecting to just accept way over orders and never complaining. I realize in Thai culture complaining about anything, regardless of whether the complaint has merit, tends to label the complainer as a trouble maker, etc. From a "face" POV I can also see that refusing to accept an over order may be seen as a declaration of Cheap Charlieness which of course from a foreigner would tend to reduce your status here and may invite disrespect.

Chances are they are messing with you on purpose.

"Here comes the guy with OCD again. Lets see how he reacts to am extra 40g today"

booooooooom

ROFL

Still Laughing. That one saved my day...

This will be known as the 100g Salmon topic muahahha

Could be. So what?

After 66.000 posts you know how it works in Thaivisa. Thought you were immune until now :)Sometimes we have little fun about posts. I didnt try to flame you or be sarcastic. I was just laughing at pedros comment.

How are your Thai language skills?

You say you asked for 100 g and he always gives you 30 % more. 30 % is 130 g not 150 g.

And if you keep fighting with him; he will give you some of his special sauce, or something .

At least 30 percent more. The point was the percentage over wasn't tiny and it's never been necessary to go over so much as it can always be corrected by removing entire slices.

The 150 gram was given as an example of how absurd it is to get a large overage when ordering 100 gram.

No, I'm not going to "fight" with them anymore.

That is if you call asking to get what you ordered fighting, that's a pretty low bar for that word.

Most likely I won't go near that counter unless I notice a change in staff.

I like the idea of asking for less than wanted. That would probably work for a virgin there. But like I said, they know me and hate me now and not subtle about it.

Not only did I demand they actually do their job I have questioned the cleanliness of the bare hands of a man who cuts up dead animals.

Mercy!

the rule of the Thai deli is:

you don't demand things

What happens if you ask for "0" grams??

I suppose they would think you're crazy but that order would likely be filled correctly.

You were claiming they "added" a significant % to all of your orders !

Welcome to my ignore list. Life's too short.

Seems a "hissy fit" has been induced ! smile.png

I suppose they would think you're crazy but that order would likely be filled correctly.

You were claiming they "added" a significant % to all of your orders !

Welcome to my ignore list. Life's too short.

Seems a "hissy fit" has been induced ! smile.png

Given the lack of sense of humour I think JT may possibly be from the USA.

Try ordering less than you want.

Good idea. Too late in this case. I'm on the sheit list there. I walked away from the salmon.

The rate you are getting on peoples sheit lists there you will have to change cities soon.
Wrong. You make an idiotic assumption.

...I have been reading that the Saudis have put together a coalition of 12 Sunni nations.. they are deploying 350,000 troops.. 20,000 tanks... a few thousand fighter jets... 450 helicopters.. along the northern border of Saudi.. oh.. and have been preparing a base in Turkey .. the plan is to cross Iraq and Jordan from the south to enter Syria.. and from Turkey in the north.. the said plan is supposedly to defeat ISIS.. but of course toppling Assad would be a nice bonus.. then Syria would become a Sunni nation... but... the Russians are pissed off.. they have a deep sea port in Syria..and the Iranians & their Shia friends are a bit annoyed as well... apparently the only way to deal with such a large force is with tactical nuclear weapons.. which Russia is said to have no qualms about using... what could possibly go wrong?? Apparently the main stream media has been told to keep quiet.. when the shit hits the fan the Americans want us to believe that it is all a big surprise.. and have everyone cheering when they start sending in their new toys to blow more things up... I think I might go and buy some smoked salmon.. does anybody know where there is a good deli? ...a nice bottle of Pinot Grigio would be nice too...

Operation Thunder, it's actually only 150,000 troops btw. They're currently based at KKMC near to the border with Kuwait.

Who's counting?

Let's see, 66,767 posts since late 2006. That's over 19 posts a day, seven days a week for nine and a half years. Where to you get the time to purchase anything, let alone smoked salmon! I think you need to get out more.

He knows how to use a calculator.clap2.gif Next step ... tying the shoes.