Pattaya Pub DJ dies in high-speed road crash on Highway 7

webfact

Pattaya Pub DJ dies in high-speed road crash on Highway 7

crash-3-2.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Late on Monday Night a popular Thai DJ who works in a Pub in Pattaya was killed as he crashed his high-powered motorbike into a concrete barrier on Highway 7.

The crash occurred just before 9pm and resulted in the death of Khun Tawatshai aged 22 who was driving a Honda CBR towards Bang Saen on the Bangkok-bound carriageway of Highway 7.

He had earlier joined a group of bikers at a Petrol Station in North Pattaya and the group intended to travel to Bang Saen.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/221708/pattaya-pub-dj-dies-in-high-speed-road-crash-on-highway-7/#prettyPhoto

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-02-23

Very sad to see another motorcycle death here. RIP

It amazes me that people use high-powered bikes in Thailand considering the very unpredictable roads conditions, abundance of bad drivers and general lack of regard for safety. High-powered bike are bought so people can go very fast, but this country is probably one of the worst places for that.

A bike Vs. a concrete barrier, the concrete barrier will win every time..... probably a mix of everything

has led to this, bit of drink, a pill or two, wanting to impress a young lady or mates, it doesn't take much

now days to lose a life.....

I had a CBR 250. Then I had a stroke. Good bye CBR. Now I'm better and have a new CB300f. Everyone says "Ohhhh, big bike!" Ahh, no, as I rode a Ninja 650 for 10 years all over the U.S. before ever coming to Thailand.

I had my CBR up to 150+ kph a few times, but only on a straight, relatively flat highway, with almost no traffic. The CB300f I've had up to 140, but that's it. Friends back home have asked why I didn't buy another 650 Ninja. Told them that it's too much bike for this country.

Do I like to drive fast? Yes, weather, traffic, and road conditions permitting. And I also wear body armor and a damn good helmet - just in case. I don't drive at night, and I don't drive in the rain. I ride for the pure joy of riding, taking 3 to 6 day "road trips" where I just get on the bike, point it in some direction and go. I don't show off, and I don't race anyone. Only fools do that. Is driving a "big bike" more dangerous in Thailand that the U.S.? Oh, hell yes! But if you drive with some common sense, chances are you'll survive. Drive like an idiot, and die like one.

It amazes me that people use high-powered bikes in Thailand considering the very unpredictable roads conditions, abundance of bad drivers and general lack of regard for safety. High-powered bike are bought so people can go very fast, but this country is probably one of the worst places for that.

High powered bikes are not only bought so people can ride fast. Yes that is the case of course for some, but one case does not make the majority.

In fact the majority of accidents are small bikes. At least Ten times the number of reported daily motorcycle accidents are small bike riders and even when, like in this case, the accident does involve a big bike, it is more than likely going to be a tourist or Ex-pat riding it.

22 year old out riding with his mates and showing off, looses control and hits a wall. These types of accidents are common daily occurrences anywhere around the world.

I think your understanding of having a big bike is wrong. I have one, not for top end speed, because as you state the road conditions are not always suitable. But they are good for touring, acceleration out of potential problems etc.

Also if i had to go to Nong Khai for example i would rather have a nice ride there than sit in a bus or minivan, it's safer to ride yourself.

Edited by chrissables

"In fact the majority of accidents are small bikes. At least Ten times the number of reported daily motorcycle accidents are small bike riders and even when, like in this case, the accident does involve a big bike, it is more than likely going to be a tourist or Ex-pat riding it."

Just to get on my hair splitting high horse.... perhaps there are 10x as many small bike crashes (some are even accidents!)... but what is ratio of small bikes to large? If there are 40x as many small as large, then 10x the accident number would support that many on big bikes are not qualified to ride them. Make any sense? It's still a bit early... more coffee!

I had a CBR 250. Then I had a stroke. Good bye CBR. Now I'm better and have a new CB300f. Everyone says "Ohhhh, big bike!" Ahh, no, as I rode a Ninja 650 for 10 years all over the U.S. before ever coming to Thailand.

I had my CBR up to 150+ kph a few times, but only on a straight, relatively flat highway, with almost no traffic. The CB300f I've had up to 140, but that's it. Friends back home have asked why I didn't buy another 650 Ninja. Told them that it's too much bike for this country.

Do I like to drive fast? Yes, weather, traffic, and road conditions permitting. And I also wear body armor and a damn good helmet - just in case. I don't drive at night, and I don't drive in the rain. I ride for the pure joy of riding, taking 3 to 6 day "road trips" where I just get on the bike, point it in some direction and go. I don't show off, and I don't race anyone. Only fools do that. Is driving a "big bike" more dangerous in Thailand that the U.S.? Oh, hell yes! But if you drive with some common sense, chances are you'll survive. Drive like an idiot, and die like one.

I don't doubt your ability to ride any motorcycle safely anywhere. I used to ride a Honda Wave 110cc here in LOS many years ago, but gave up on that because of the climate (heat & rain) in favour of a pick-up, which is IMHO more comfortable and safer.

What worried me most about riding my Wave was nothing to do with my own riding skills but the fear of the unknown. It's often said in LOS that we must expect the unexpected. I saw many Thais with badly scarred legs and arms and when asked what happened they would say a dog ran out in front of me, I hit a pot-hole, someone opened their car door on me etc., etc. Many people on TVF quite rightly condemn the poor driving skills of Thais, Chinese and untrained young farang tourists on big bikes, and these all compound the dangers of driving here.

My main concern is no matter how good a driver I think I am or how much I feel in control of my vehicle, it'll be some other idiot driver, a stray dog or a 'brake failure' on a big truck/coach that causes me grief, because there's no way I can anticipate other peoples stupidity or the actions of a stray dog!

I don't doubt your ability to ride any motorcycle safely anywhere. I used to ride a Honda Wave 110cc here in LOS many years ago, but gave up on that because of the climate (heat & rain) in favour of a pick-up, which is IMHO more comfortable and safer.

What worried me most about riding my Wave was nothing to do with my own riding skills but the fear of the unknown. It's often said in LOS that we must expect the unexpected. I saw many Thais with badly scarred legs and arms and when asked what happened they would say a dog ran out in front of me, I hit a pot-hole, someone opened their car door on me etc., etc. Many people on TVF quite rightly condemn the poor driving skills of Thais, Chinese and untrained young farang tourists on big bikes, and these all compound the dangers of driving here.

My main concern is no matter how good a driver I think I am or how much I feel in control of my vehicle, it'll be some other idiot driver, a stray dog or a 'brake failure' on a big truck/coach that causes me grief, because there's no way I can anticipate other peoples stupidity or the actions of a stray dog!

I agree with what you are saying. We can be the best, most careful drivers in the world, but we can't control the actions, or stupidity, of others. I've been lucky so far, but any time I get on the bike for a trip, all my senses go on "Red Alert" status. I've had a couple of close calls that I was, fortunately, able to avoid, but then had to stop and calm my nerves down before starting off again. My wife says the bike will get me killed. She could be right, but I'm not about to give it up yet.

well im sooo pleased i amaze you! why not come up north and ill take you for a blast round the 109. we'll be on the back wheel exiting a few corners and scraping the pegs in a lot more. this country is the best place in the world for a bit of quality hooning but thats probably hard to grasp if you spend all day on a barstool waiting to die.

RIP:(

it is never about motorbike. a bigger bike is also safer than a low cc bike with skinny tires and not so good braking and handling.

low cc bikes can also go as fast as it can get fatal.

it is all about the rider. never about motorbikes!

Saw this group of Thai bikers on Sunday, they were up the weather station hill Pratumnak, must have been about 30 of them, I would imagine he was part of this group.

Everyone of them had a high powered bike, they were dressed to ride in leathers, all young smart looking Thais some with their chicks, got a few smile from them as I made my way down the hill slowly past them

RIP:(

it is never about motorbike. a bigger bike is also safer than a low cc bike with skinny tires and not so good braking and handling.

low cc bikes can also go as fast as it can get fatal.

it is all about the rider. never about motorbikes!

Certainly scooters can get to fatal speeds and do with lethal results far too often. My only point about the high-powered bikes is the tendency many people have to want to open them up sometimes. That's understandable but, I think Thailand has too many potentially dangerous situations to deal with for much of that. I certainly agree with your points about better handling and braking.

With something like my Wave, because of it's light weight and narrow tires, I know how vulnerable I am to road conditions and other hazards. Besides, the ride on those little bikes feels so unsteady at anything over 80, I'm sure not going to be racing anybody.

Briggsy.

You keep on about it. what was his Salary ?

The price of the bike is irrelevant. Guys here at my work take home 12k per month yet they still have new cars and bikes (on finance of course).

I know. It is unfathomable. That is my point. It does not make sense.

I could start going on about the 4-level motorcycle licence structure in the UK (and the rest of EU, I think), AM, A1, A2 and A. This bike is in the top category and you would not be permitted to ride one legally without going through the lengthy procedure.

So, here we have a 22-year-old with a bike he couldn't handle and no answers to how he could pay for it.

Give his parents a call, am sure they will be happy to explain how he paid for it, just what they need at this moment in time.

In fact the majority of accidents are small bikes. At least Ten times the number of reported daily motorcycle accidents are small bike riders

I wonder where you got that statistic. Anyway, maybe more accidents occur on small bikes because more people can afford small bikes than can afford large ones. What do you think?

RIP super Bike.

In fact the majority of accidents are small bikes. At least Ten times the number of reported daily motorcycle accidents are small bike riders

I wonder where you got that statistic. Anyway, maybe more accidents occur on small bikes because more people can afford small bikes than can afford large ones. What do you think?

If you want to see the daily reports of carnage across Thailand you are welcome to do the research I have been doing. There are plenty of volunteer first responder sites reporting on Facebook from across Thailand. Just follow them for the daily reports of road accidents and fatalities.

I am also fortunate to have friends who are Thai Police officers who share information as well.

There are also sites that report accidents. If you want to follow another route just use a twitter feed to follow the Thai News sites that report the daily stream of road traffic accidents. If you just want a simple link then I share a lot of the daily reports onto my Thai Safe Rider Facebook Page.

Yes of course there are far more scooters than big bikes. But if you are going down that route you also need to include the fact that the average 'Big Bike' will do a far higher milage than the average small bike. Big Bike riders also have a greater tendency to wear helmets and proper kit. Like I said before - yes, there are big bike accidents, of course there are. But they are not proportional to the amount of small bike accidents when measured against the amount of bikes on the road. From what I can see there are about as many 'big bike' accidents on Thai roads as you would find elsewhere in the world. Especially then when you start factoring in the amount of 'big bike' accidents that involve 'farangs' on hire bikes.

With the lack of proper training Thai road users rely on experience far more than elsewhere in the world. The majority of big bike riders have started riding small bikes and worked up. The experience they have gained on the way helps to keep them alive - Normally!

Speed kills, whether its on a big bike, small bike or in a car. Always drive careful and never drive after consuming alcohol. Follow the rules and you might live to see another day.