tuk tuk resturant scam

davetrout

I was in bkk long ago on my fisrt trip to thailand , i was a green kid on the block and i was wandering around the streets looking for a place to eat with my newly met companion. Anyway a tuk tuk driver ask me if i wanted to go for some good seafood, so off we went he took us to a nice place. I remember him waiting outside then someone from the resturant went and spoke with him, i didn't think much of this at the time. we got our food there was no pricing on the menu. It came to just over 10,000 baht with just 5 beers and some food, ripped off but i paid and learn't a good lesson welcome to thailand. My question is was the tuk tuk involved and did he get paid to take me there.

cheers big ears

No , the restaurant staff went over and kindly said thankyou to the tuk tuk driver for bringing them customers.

The driver politely replied , no problem its my pleasure to help you and please take care of this tourist. And then just drove off into the sunset .....

Edited by The Big Mango

Commissions for business introductions are so commonplace the world over that it is hardly in true "scam" territory. Read reviews on the internet or ask a trusted friend or colleague if you want something that is not blatantly biased. Receptionists and doormen of reputable hotels fall into the latter category unless they insist on booking it for you.

Are you for real. You were green back then or green now? wink.png

Yes, yes he got paid

don't stay bkk only issan never seen this before

I think anywhere across Asia or probably the world, where you hideously overpay and know it's a rip-off like that ... someone is getting paid!

What kind of dishes did you get for 10,000 baht?. In Tokyo you could have a 6 course dinner at Michelin 3 star of noted French chef JJoel Robuchon for 1 person. (Not including 12% service charge). The 8 course set is ¥42,000.

Edited by arunsakda