Apple. Hoodwink the dim wits.

Snackbar

Shocking that Apple should manipulate the FBI's data request.

Suggesting the iphone is impenetrable. Using the story as a marketing tool to fool the sheep.

Does this company have no shame? Isn't it wrong to milk the whole episode to bolster the perception of it's devices as secure?

What a farce. I've thrown mine in the bin in disgrace. Apple, never again, sorry.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll bite...

First, I do use apple products, but don't consider myself a fanboy.

Sure, even Apple products are vulnerable to attacks / hacks, but it seems a lot less likely and more difficult. But that can change in the coming years as it is becoming more and more popular.

Regarding the FBI and Apple "dispute", I have been wondering what the real reason behind all this is. I don't see it being a marketing strategy...does Apple REALLY need that? Especially such a sensitive situation that could divide even their own people ( Apple product users ) and not to mention new market as China that like to control everything.

If it were so easy to hack an apple device, why doesn't the FBI just take care of it themselves behind the scenes without the world knowing?

All they are asking for is a password for the crazed lunatic's iphone.

Apple can do this easily. So why don't they?

Free advertising. An opportunity to bolster the perception of security. Information is valuable, why give it up for free?

In this case the dead man's phone holds information that could implicate other nutters intent on slaughtering innocent peace loving people.

Shame on Apple.

All they are asking for is a password for the crazed lunatic's iphone.

Apple can do this easily. So why don't they?

Free advertising. An opportunity to bolster the perception of security. Information is valuable, why give it up for free?

In this case the dead man's phone holds information that could implicate other nutters intent on slaughtering innocent peace loving people.

Shame on Apple.

They're not asking for a password. They're asking for a modified version of IOS which could be used to compromise the security on any iPhone - essentially handing the authorities a backdoor into all their devices.

I feel quite smug knowing that the only people who can break into an apple phone is apple…. and they are not going to help the fools at the fbi make our phones less secure.

PS. The only people that apple allows to break into an apple phone is apple themselves….they break into our data everyday and use it to sell us stuff.

As the topic says...hoodwinked.

The authorities need a password to open the nutters phone. Don't believe the hype.

Without the users password the phone will delete all information. Have you forgotten this murderer was an Islamist loon. There are other Islamist loons on this freaks phone that would like to skin your children alive.

Apple says the perception of security is more important than our kids safety.

Shame on them. Sad that the Apple sheep believe their nonsense.

As the topic says...hoodwinked.

The authorities need a password to open the nutters phone. Don't believe the hype.

Without the users password the phone will delete all information. Have you forgotten this murderer was an Islamist loon. There are other Islamist loons on this freaks phone that would like to skin your children alive.

Apple says the perception of security is more important than our kids safety.

Shame on them. Sad that the Apple sheep believe their nonsense.

The authorities need a passcode to unlock the phone. Apple cannot simply tell them the passcode, because they don't know what it is either.

By the way Mr shame on Apple and throw Apple products in the bin ( can you dig it out and send it to me? I'll pay for shipping :)...

What will your next phone be? A Samsung, which has android on it? Android = Google product.

Google is supporting Apple in their FBI dispute. So is Facebook.

Microsoft phone maybe? Not sure yet where they stand, but probably also at apples side.

So, which device and software will you use from now on?

By the way Mr shame on Apple and throw Apple products in the bin ( can you dig it out and send it to me? I'll pay for shipping :)...

What will your next phone be? A Samsung, which has android on it? Android = Google product.

Google is supporting Apple in their FBI dispute. So is Facebook.

Microsoft phone maybe? Not sure yet where they stand, but probably also at apples side.

So, which device and software will you use from now on?

An old Nokia phone perhaps ;)

What is interesting here is that the OP fails to see that if Apple, Google, who ever, were to compromise their security, it would be compromised for all time, for everyone.
This would put more lives in danger and encourage and allow more crime.

The OP appears to lack understanding of how encryption works. If Apple do not have the "key" they cannot unlock the encryption.

While I agree it "may" be useful to the Police to investigate this device there is probably very little "intelligence" they could gain that they could not gather from other sources.

Apple's iCloud is one source, which Apple do have the "keys" to unlock and they regularly make data stored in their iCloud available to law enforcement that have the proper warrants/authority.

Well clearly they can only supply the data that is stored on the iCloud.

There are other sources..

Apparently if the account hadn't been reset they could have triggered a backup remotely and accessed the data on the phone, too.

damn those bumbling FBI guys..

Marketing is a science designed to maximise profit. Apple are exploiting this scenario for all it's worth. A nurse maid for millions of hapless sheep that believe the hype. That is what this is.

Of course that can access the nutters phone. Why would they do it for free?

For the hoodwinked dim wits, you are being misled, insulted and like sheep you believe it.

The judge actually ruled that:

Apple's reasonable technical assistance shall accomplish the following three important functions: (1) it will bypass or disable the auto-erase function whether or not it has been enabled; (2) it will enable the FBI to submit passcodes to the SUBJECT DEVICE for testing electronically via the physical device port, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, or other protocol available on the SUBJECT and (3) it will ensure that when the FBI submits passcodes to the SUBJECT DEVICE, software running on the device will not purposefully introduce any additional delay between passcode attempts beyond what is incurred by Apple hardware.

Great info. Thank you.

So, which phone will you use now?

Here is the deception.

“The government asked a court to order Apple to create a unique version of iOS that would bypass security protections on the iPhone Lock screen. It would also add a completely new capability so that passcode tries could be entered electronically. . . . The government would have us write an entirely new operating system for their use. They are asking Apple to remove security features and add a new ability to the operating system to attack iPhone encryption, allowing a passcode to be input electronically.”

Just not true. Why would they want to misled customers? Because they think their customers are stupid?

Snackbar, yes we've all seen the ruling and thanks for sharing it to us dim wits - saying that doesn't make you sound like a complete tosser, but I digress...

The 5 days the judge gave them has been and gone. It does not look as though Apple want to budge from their position citing an infringement on the 1st amendment.

Where is the deception?

For the hoodwinked dim wits, you are being misled, insulted and like sheep you believe it.

The judge actually ruled that:

Apple's reasonable technical assistance shall accomplish the following three important functions: (1) it will bypass or disable the auto-erase function whether or not it has been enabled; (2) it will enable the FBI to submit passcodes to the SUBJECT DEVICE for testing electronically via the physical device port, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, or other protocol available on the SUBJECT and (3) it will ensure that when the FBI submits passcodes to the SUBJECT DEVICE, software running on the device will not purposefully introduce any additional delay between passcode attempts beyond what is incurred by Apple hardware.

Great info. Thank you.

So, which phone will you use now?

Again, which phone are you using now or plan on using since you canned your iPhone?

Unfortunately it has now been revealed that Apple is currently fighting government requests in 12 other cases, so this slippery slope that Mr. Cook, Apple's CEO is arguing already exists so it is not just a one time thing as the government is claiming

https://theintercept.com/2016/02/23/new-court-filing-reveals-apple-faces-12-other-requests-to-break-into-locked-iphones/

If something is given to you for free you are the product.

Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Bing use your personal data. They give you their product for free. As long as you remain a customer the company makes money. Of course these entities support data protection.

Customer loyalty accrues from marketing. Marketing creates an illusion. Marketing is a strategy to make money. If you read the press releases it's clear as day it is an illusion congruent with the marketing strategy.

If something is given to you for free you are the product.

Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Bing use your personal data. They give you their product for free. As long as you remain a customer the company makes money. Of course these entities support data protection.

Customer loyalty accrues from marketing. Marketing creates an illusion. Marketing is a strategy to make money. If you read the press releases it's clear as day it is an illusion congruent with the marketing strategy.

Hey Snackbar, what phone will you be using now?

Archived