Roundabout Jomtien

sandgroper2

The roundabout is much less dangerous than what was there before, a 4 way junction where vehicles could be colliding at 100 +++ KPH

now they have to slow down to negotiate the roundabout admittedly some ( a lot ) do try their very best not to slow down especially the tour buses.

Noticed four large signs in the roundabout this evening (pointing down all four intersecting routes).

It's all in Thai but from the diagram it tends to suggest it's telling them which direction (clockwise) to go.

Not to sure, but looks like they are saying

This is a Trial , if there is to many problems, roundabout will be

removed. or words to that effect.

Not about directions or how to use.

i could be wrong wai2.gif

Edited by onemorechang

Noticed four large signs in the roundabout this evening (pointing down all four intersecting routes).

It's all in Thai but from the diagram it tends to suggest it's telling them which direction (clockwise) to go.

Not to sure, but looks like they are saying

This is a Trial , if there is to many problems, roundabout will be

removed. or words to that effect.

Not about directions or how to use.

i could be wrong wai2.gif

You may well be right, I haven't a clue what the text on the sign says.

It says, quite rightly, give way to the traffic on the roundabout. (In Thai )

Yes, that is what it says, I have been informed, by herself.

Just as well, because I had to slam on the anchors a couple of weeks ago, to avoid hitting a copper on a bike, who drove onto the roundabout without a care in the world.

Just as well, because I had to slam on the anchors a couple of weeks ago, to avoid hitting a copper on a bike, who drove onto the roundabout without a care in the world.

Im sure its going to be helpful

to the law abiding folk of Thailand. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Does it also say, in what direction they should go round the roundabout. giggle.gif

Im sure its going to be helpful

to the law abiding folk of Thailand. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Does it also say, in what direction they should go round the roundabout. giggle.gif

The direction taken around any roundabout depends on two things.

1 How important the driver thinks he/she is

2 the size and make of the vehicle.

Edited by overherebc

They now have signs in place to teach the locals how to use the roundabout lol. I always drive patiently and wave the cars coming from the right so they understand I am waiting for them . It takes some time but I prefer it this way, less accidents on this road is what we want.

They now have signs in place to teach the locals how to use the roundabout lol. I always drive patiently and wave the cars coming from the right so they understand I am waiting for them . It takes some time but I prefer it this way, less accidents on this road is what we want.

Just a thought.

What about the fool who cant wait, comes up the inside of

you, the people on the roundabout can see they are about to be charged by him

So they wont go.

you ever looked in the rear view mirror.to the left ?

maybe right side as well or both, they are coming and not stopping.

i understand what your saying, but to hard for pattaya drivers and Bangkok visitors

to understand, it will just be chaos for ever there. wai2.gif

Edited by onemorechang

I agree we can't teach idiots on the road how to drive , they will never learn. But at least the speed has come down which in my opinion was the best that came out of this roundabout, Before it was hell to cross the road. And we had accidents almost weekly , now I have not heard about any accident in this roundabout.

Edited by balo

Saw the after-mouth of one a few weeks a go

Farang man holding his leg at the side of the road, pick-up, looked like had knocked him off

his motor bike. wai2.gif

Also someone crashed into the blocks on the roundabout a few weeks ago.

must have come up from beach road, straight across, into the blocks

Plenty of stuff going on there every day.wai2.gif

I use this intersection everyday. It is much safer now than before. Lots of complaining about Thai drivers, but many foreigners here are just as dangerous if not more.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Ok, if you say so wai2.gifgiggle.gif

Agreed I see an increasing number of foreign drivers especially on motor bikes who seem to have fully embraced the "thai" way of driving - especially pulling out and making turns without bothering to look or even looking and then pulling out anyway presumably hoping that you will stop.......facepalm.gif

Your either joking or an american, which?

The first thing you have to do is get the Thai people in the cars to learn to read their own language. Many Thai over the age of 40 who had a " limited " schooling cannot read Thai. I have even met some in their 30's that just know basic stuff, one young woman admitted she had never learnt the vowels (32 off them)...

Then you have to realise that many of those old trucks with building labourers are Cambodians, Burmese or Lao !

I see many westerners confused and stop to let traffic onto the roundabout....!!! If it were an elevator would you keep letting people on before letting people get out ... think about it?

The French had to eventually wise up to that and change the rules you "give way" to traffic already on the roudabout.

The one good thing is "most" but not all slow down now - before it was just a mad racetrack at that point. Now it is just a mad race track for the remaining 99% of the road.

The trafffic lights at Chayapruek work OK ? So why is there no lights at Watboon ?

The trafffic lights at Chayapruek work OK ? So why is there no lights at Watboon ?

I don't know.

Despite what some people will have you believe.

The traffic lights were never fully installed and working as a four way junction.

Also peoples exaggeration over alleged amount of accidents at this junction, is just that, prior to the roundabouts installation. no more accident than the rest of the junctions all over Thailand, that are just the same.

Like you said it works fine down the road at Chaypuke 1 and all over Thailand.

so who knows.

It just comes back to money i would say, not safety. whistling.gif

Edited by onemorechang

I don't know.

Despite what some people will have you believe.

The traffic lights were never fully installed and working as a four way junction.

Also peoples exaggeration over alleged amount of accidents at this junction, is just that, prior to the roundabouts installation. no more accident than the rest of the junctions all over Thailand, that are just the same.

Like you said it works fine down the road at Chaypuke 1 and all over Thailand.

so who knows.

It just comes back to money i would say, not safety. whistling.gif

"no more accident than the rest of the junctions all over Thailand,"

There are no stats on this, so, make something else up. ( lay off the Chang)