Retire on 2.5 million baht = $69,903 / £48,908 / $98,281 (AUS)

i clicked on one of he display ads on this forum - and was sent to http://thailand-retirement.info/retire-in-thailand-less-than-2-5-million/

The title of this post is also the title of their AD copy - on the landing page.

• you will receive yearly returns of 250,000 Baht just over 20,000 Baht per month - 10%
  • And you can live in Thailand on 20,000 Baht per month

Has anyone heard of this company http://newnordicpattaya.com/new-nordic-investments/

I have not tried to analyse either the data or the company since it just seems to feels wrong.

The numbers itself do not look unreasonable but I would advise you to buy a condo yourself and rent it out instead.

Agreed, you should get 15k/month in Pattaya or jomtien. At least you will have capital growth... Ignore the nay sayers facts are new condo Market boom is now growing out of reach for most of them

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

The numbers itself do not look unreasonable but I would advise you to buy a condo yourself and rent it out instead.

It's essentially guaranteeing 10% returns. That's highly suspect as far as I'm concerned.

also where they make the following statement on the website

" We also have buy back options available. All guarantees are with New Nordic Group and of course fully written into the contracts."

I was shown a copy of a draft sales contract which states this developer will reimburse the purchaser for inflation by an amount equal to 3% per annum? my instant reaction was how can any real estate developer hope to honour that commitment when (not if ) there is another 2008 style event?

Edited by Asiantravel

It's essentially guaranteeing 10% returns. That's highly suspect as far as I'm concerned.

I see 6%-8% guarantee plans everywhere, it is not uncommon.

Agreed, you should get 15k/month in Pattaya or jomtien. At least you will have capital growth... Ignore the nay sayers facts are new condo Market boom is now growing out of reach for most of them

You mean people are buying condo's as crazy these days?

"Agreed, you should get 15k/month in Pattaya or jomtien"

Yes and there are no units sitting empty ... oh, wait.

From casual observation, most of the rental units in my building are occupied in the so-called high season and many of them sit empty much of the rest of the year. And assuming you actually do get Baht 15,000 a month when it is occupied, there will still be annual assessments, repairs and refurbishing costs etc.

Even if you do have a beautiful unit in a great building in a wonderful location and manage to keep it fully occupied, how long will that last? Three years, 5 years? Then something nicer, newer, with better amenities will draw potential renters away and you'll have to cut the rent you charge and hope for some one or two month rentals from people who trash the place.

Better to get a less risky 5% per year that is likely to keep on paying while preserving your original capital.

"Agreed, you should get 15k/month in Pattaya or jomtien"

Yes and there are no units sitting empty ... oh, wait.

From casual observation, most of the rental units in my building are occupied in the so-called high season and many of them sit empty much of the rest of the year. And assuming you actually do get Baht 15,000 a month when it is occupied, there will still be annual assessments, repairs and refurbishing costs etc.

Even if you do have a beautiful unit in a great building in a wonderful location and manage to keep it fully occupied, how long will that last? Three years, 5 years? Then something nicer, newer, with better amenities will draw potential renters away and you'll have to cut the rent you charge and hope for some one or two month rentals from people who trash the place.

Better to get a less risky 5% per year that is likely to keep on paying while preserving your original capital.

Every investment has a downside. While 5% is low but it's safe however you won't be safeguarding your original sum because inflation will be chipping away and in 10 years the price of condo's will have acclerated beyond your reach. Just look at the last 10 years and the gap jump per sqm.

The part that says "retire in Thailand on 20,000 baht per month. Well, maybe you can live on that, there are plenty of posts about living ultra cheaply in Thailand, but that certainly won't qualify you for a retirement visa income method which demands 65,000 month income.

also where they make the following statement on the website

" We also have buy back options available. All guarantees are with New Nordic Group and of course fully written into the contracts."

I was shown a copy of a draft sales contract which states this developer will reimburse the purchaser for inflation by an amount equal to 3% per annum? my instant reaction was how can any real estate developer hope to honour that commitment when (not if ) there is another 2008 style event?

It is easy to write guarantee words in a contract. It is sometimes very hard or impossible to collect on a written guarantee. I would have zero faith in any guarantee in Thailand, especially as a falang.

I agree that you can see these everywhere. However none of them are safe investments and the "guarantees" are worthless. US 30 year treasuries are paying 2.6% and are pretty safe (still some risk of default and a currency exposure). Anything paying more than that is more risky. The US stock market returns an average of around 7% but with swings of around +20 to -70. If they are paying 10% it is very very risky. I was in Japan when several huge insurance companies failed because they could not continue to honor guaranteed 4% returns. They may have the best intentions but in the event of a changing property market, new regulations, cash flow problems in their business etc you would be screwed.

Just think if these returns were even reasonably secure they would be getting a bank loan at much lower interest rates and keeping the difference of several percent.

Just as a suggestion,be very careful. Four years ago I put 250,000 U.S. into a board an care facility in London guaranteeing 8% return. Had lawyer representation,everything I could do to ensure protection. In the end the builder did not complete the project,went into administration and I lost all of my funds except for 25,000 U.S....I have since found out there is a real estate group that puts these together and takes a fee then the builders just happen to go under. They then change their names and open again. I actually attended a meeting in London where 75 other investors showed up and we all had lost, many in projects from this group,and not the same projects. So I would just be careful.....

Any "guarantee" on a property investment "plan" (6-8%, or 10%, etc) is merely a scheme that overcharges you for the initial investment, and then returns a portion of your overcharge to you over a period of time. This is actually just a form of return on capital. It is not a return on investment. After the "guaranteed return" period is over, see what happens. The OP's gut instinct is correct - this is a scam.

I'm a financial professional with clients outside of Thailand. (While I've thought about offering services in Thailand to expats/Thais, I quickly realized the headache is so not worth it.)

1. 10% P.A. guaranteed is impossible. Any return in THB guaranteed is impossible. In euros, GBP, and USD there are virtually guaranteed returns on government bonds (nothing is 100% sure--there could be a nuclear war or asteroid hit the planet, after all), but those pay more like 2% if you're lucky, and come with other problems (mark-to-market value declines, exchange rate issues, etc.)

2. Use common sense when evaluating a potential financial advisor. Someone who advertises on a web forum is probably not the best person to talk to. Someone who can't write proper English (look at the language on the site--if you're a native speaker you can quickly realize it's awful, broken English) and who won't bother to pay someone to improve their awful marketing materials is clearly a bottom feeder. You want to work with professional, established, high quality advisors, which means nice offices, sharp suits, and impeccable English on glossy prospectuses. Of course you need to do more due diligence than this, of course, such as how long they've been in business, if they're accredited/certified in a first-world country, and so on. And, yes, I know that those nice offices/sharp suits are expensive which means they're making money from fees--but the money you'll lose in advisory fees is a pittance compared to the massive capital losses you'll face if you deal with incompetent or unscrupulous people.

Please, everyone, be safe. Money is your lifeline and you shouldn't entrust it to some dodgy stranger on the internet.

I'm a financial professional with clients outside of Thailand. (While I've thought about offering services in Thailand to expats/Thais, I quickly realized the headache is so not worth it.)

1. 10% P.A. guaranteed is impossible. Any return in THB guaranteed is impossible. In euros, GBP, and USD there are virtually guaranteed returns on government bonds (nothing is 100% sure--there could be a nuclear war or asteroid hit the planet, after all), but those pay more like 2% if you're lucky, and come with other problems (mark-to-market value declines, exchange rate issues, etc.)

2. Use common sense when evaluating a potential financial advisor. Someone who advertises on a web forum is probably not the best person to talk to. Someone who can't write proper English (look at the language on the site--if you're a native speaker you can quickly realize it's awful, broken English) and who won't bother to pay someone to improve their awful marketing materials is clearly a bottom feeder. You want to work with professional, established, high quality advisors, which means nice offices, sharp suits, and impeccable English on glossy prospectuses. Of course you need to do more due diligence than this, of course, such as how long they've been in business, if they're accredited/certified in a first-world country, and so on. And, yes, I know that those nice offices/sharp suits are expensive which means they're making money from fees--but the money you'll lose in advisory fees is a pittance compared to the massive capital losses you'll face if you deal with incompetent or unscrupulous people.

Please, everyone, be safe. Money is your lifeline and you shouldn't entrust it to some dodgy stranger on the internet.

"You want to work with professional, established, high quality advisors, which means nice offices, sharp suits, and impeccable English on glossy prospectuses."

No, it certainly doesn't.

"Someone who can't write proper English....is clearly a bottom feeder."

I've never come across one single financial professional, such as you claim to be, who would slag off the competition in such a manner, no matter how justified it was. Some "financial professional" you are.

"Any return in THB guaranteed is impossible."

Really? You are clearly a "financial professional" to be avoided.

"You want to work with professional, established, high quality advisors, which means nice offices, sharp suits, and impeccable English on glossy prospectuses."

No, it certainly doesn't.

"Someone who can't write proper English....is clearly a bottom feeder."

I've never come across one single financial professional, such as you claim to be, who would slag off the competition in such a manner, no matter how justified it was. Some "financial professional" you are.

"Any return in THB guaranteed is impossible."

Really? You are clearly a "financial professional" to be avoided.

I assure you he's not my competition.