No More Thai Price for Foreign Workers in Thailand?

eldragon

The dual pricing argument has been done to death here. I'm not interested in getting into that again. But I recently read this statement on the Khao Yai National Park website:

The entrance fee is 400 THB for adults and 200 THB for children. As of March 2015, Thai driving licence, work permit or student card holders can't get in for Thai price.

Is this the case at all Thai national parks and attractions now? I was at a park up north a few months ago and the cashier refused to give me the Thai rate despite having a work permit. She was nice enough to give me the children's rate, but wouldn't budge on the issue beyond that. I figured it was just a stubborn cashier, but maybe it's become a national policy.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" the cashier refused to give me the Thai rate despite having a work permit. "

Are you Thai ? Because having a work permit one would presume you are not, ergo, you should not pay the Thai national price.

Maybe you're new around here. In the past, having a work permit has entitled one to the Thai rate, although it had always been a little inconsistent with regards to which parks and attractions abided by it.

Are you Thai ? Because having a work permit one would presume you are not, ergo, you should not pay the Thai national price.

Maybe you're new around here. In the past, having a work permit has entitled one to the Thai rate, although it had always been a little inconsistent with regards to which parks and attractions abided by it.

Not that new, but I do know that a work permit never "entitled" you to the Thai national price, it was a concession that some places gave to foreign workers.

Not that new, but I do know that a work permit never "entitled" you to the Thai national price, it was a concession that some places gave to foreign workers.

Fair enough. But the quote suggests there was a change in policy. So my question still remains. Is this a blanket policy now or do some parks and attractions still make the concession?

Fair enough. But the quote suggests there was a change in policy. So my question still remains. Is this a blanket policy now or do some parks and attractions still make the concession?

There is no blanket policy for admission fees at Thai parks and attractions now - nor will there be in the foreseeable future.

Keeping foreigners confused and off-balance is the name of the game. It's more profitable that way.

To think otherwise is naïve.

Edited by JingerBen

There was an announcement made a long while back to this effect, yes it applies to all national parks. It seems like khao Yai seem to be good enough to post this on their website, other places will leave you to argue at the gate with the same smile and sorry as response.

No, we are not Thai, but as WP holders pay tax which goes in the state coffers. You would think that as the national parks are controlled by the state, you would presume that holders of work permits would be able to get Thai rates.

DL holders - I honestly think it's debatable wether they should be given a concession, holding a DL doesn't prove anything, but WP holders have a valid case.

Most if not all the Andaman Natl Marine Parks you won't be paying Thai fees. No way. Staff though can be quite empathetic ☺

If you are camping, it can get expensive but after a long season or a number of years returning or a Thai wife. Even paying daily and tent fees, still much cheaper than some ridiculous resort.

Bungalow in the back - b2000

Tent at waters edge - b200

I doubt it has to do with newness as much as it does with logic.

Why shouldn't foreigners pay more, our salaries/pensions are way in excess in what a Thai person could ever hope to earn, you come to Thailand wether on holiday or to live here you abide by their rules if not go some where else. There admission prices are not excessive either compared to elsewhere.

I doubt it has to do with newness as much as it does with logic.

Logic? Here?cheesy.gif

Most if not all the Andaman Natl Marine Parks you won't be paying Thai fees. No way. Staff though can be quite empathetic ☺

If you are camping, it can get expensive but after a long season or a number of years returning or a Thai wife. Even paying daily and tent fees, still much cheaper than some ridiculous resort.

Bungalow in the back - b2000

Tent at waters edge - b200

Must be wonderful to get first call on a tsunami so cheaply.

Even as a Thai resident, I have had to do battle with the ticket sellers on many occasions, occasionally without success.

as a resident you are entitled to thai prices

No, the government made it clear last year that foreigners will pay 10x the Thai price, pay it or not, up to you.

Simple answer, boycott all of them then watch them cry no money.

You have an over inflated opinion of the worth of your tourist dollar, too funny really. Boycott to your hearts content, fill your boots, it wont make any difference whatsoever plus you'll get laughed at for being so silly for making such a fuss.

Edited by chiang mai

Farangs pay the normal price.

Thai people get a discount. Sometimes the farangs get a discount also if they show their license or work permit.

Still very cheap, doesn't bother me the Thais get a discount.

Last week at the Royal building near the zoo, Thai girlfriend paid 150 baht, I paid 75 baht. I got the 50% discount because my phone is with AIS. They didn't even bother to ask me for a license.

At the zoo we paid the same. I can't remember if there were two prices there or not.

The answer to the OP is........ It depends.