Thaksin tells Al Jazeera 'we saw it coming'

webfact

He's back!

Well,sort of.

He never left, the only way to kill a snake is to cut its head off.

What democratic government in the world, where the PM is able to put his family and friends who have little or no political experience in key positions of government, even to be elected as PM?

What democratic government in the world, allows vote buying, via cash or intimidation.

Most would have to be elected in by elections and state elections first, would it be believable that all of TS friends and family were elected for these positions?

What democratic government in the world, would tell the people that they are going to take from the rich and give to the poor, then move the money that was promised to the poor to shelf companies and off shore accounts

What democratic government in the world, would have a militant group of thugs and violent offenders that will go out and disrupt the opposing governments, murder supporters the opposing governments including destruction of private property and burning down shopping centers.

Why didn't the al Jazeera interviewer ask him that?

Because the reporter was after a story about what is wrong with the current government not what was wrong in the past. Sound journalism? No.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He should have not asked amnesty almost everyone agrees that was the catalyst for the street protests. I am not saying the coup would not have happened, it might (no way to know for sure) as there as an other reason for the coup too. But I do know that support for the coup would be real low if not for the street protests and his amnesty. So he gave them the chance because he did not want to face the courts for all the other cases still pending against him far more serious as what he is convicted for. But hey.. just blame the military its easier.

you mean I misread the current "government" got amnesty too??? for all current deeds and future??? but you don't mention that but hey... just tell half the truth

Or maybe he commented on the topic - Thaksin and what provoked the coup?

Did you miss the vast swathes of normal everyday people who decided to protest? Not a protest for a coup, or to bring down the puppet Yingluck regime, but a protest against Thaksin's attempts to whitewash himself and put himself above the law.

As usual, any attempt to try and change the discussion away from the Shins, or any excuse to say their crimes are o k because some one else did it.

Pathetic why so many Western posters openly support such a corrupt proven liar.

But then many "Western posters" find it strange, if not "pathetic", that some so enthusiastically welcome the overthrow of an elected government by a military junta, the appointment of a "legislative assembly" of cronies, and the widespread repression of a whole range of political, press and personal freedoms....

He should have not asked amnesty almost everyone agrees that was the catalyst for the street protests. I am not saying the coup would not have happened, it might (no way to know for sure) as there as an other reason for the coup too. But I do know that support for the coup would be real low if not for the street protests and his amnesty. So he gave them the chance because he did not want to face the courts for all the other cases still pending against him far more serious as what he is convicted for. But hey.. just blame the military its easier.

A bit of forward thinking and he could have written amnesty for himself into a temporary constitution while he was in power. Just like someone else I know.

Just wondering why you think that someone who attempted to gain an amnesty shocks you so much, yet a coup leader who grants himself and his cronies one isn't even worth a mention.

Amazing how selective you fanboys are in your condemnation.

well, when you pay people to do something... they tend to do it. when your promise people that if they die for YOUR cause, the family gets millions, it tends to bring out the wackos. then when you dont pay, the family hates the government.

the heading should read, THAKSIN TELLS AL JAZEERA " I PAID FOR THE DIVISION OF THAI PEOPLE"

you mean I misread the current "government" got amnesty too??? for all current deeds and future??? but you don't mention that but hey... just tell half the truth

The current government got an amnesty, because they had to react you could say they were forced into it. (or at least they can use it as an excuse because of Thaksins amnesty and the street protests). Kinda like defending yourself when a burglar gets into your house. Most people are excused then too unless they use excessive force.

No half truths from me at all his amnesty started it (or gave it the perfect excuse) that is a fact nobody can deny. That the current goverment got an amnesty is not something I loose sleep over at night. Just as I wont loose sleep over it if they are convicted for staging the coup. I have not much love for them, just prefer them over the previous government but not as much as before.

I would not say his amnesty started it. Thai people did not care if he got an amnesty or not in the same way nobody cares that the army got an amnesty. The army in collusion with Suthep just needed any excuse to get out on the streets and stir up trouble. It could have been the rice scheme etc etc

Your all wrong, did you not read the articles during that time how people rallied because of the amnesty. Also I have spoken with anti government protesters and they came out because of the amnesty. So your wrong his amnesty was the catalyst even PTP members have said so. Admitted it was a bad idea and brought the people to the streets.

Those people who rallied against the amnesty should be applauded. Massive amount of people of all classes turned out and also dispersed after the upper house refused the bill. What remain were not the bulk of the protestors but southerners brought in by Suthep. That was the start of the shutdown and violence and subsequently the coup.

Or maybe he commented on the topic - Thaksin and what provoked the coup?

Did you miss the vast swathes of normal everyday people who decided to protest? Not a protest for a coup, or to bring down the puppet Yingluck regime, but a protest against Thaksin's attempts to whitewash himself and put himself above the law.

As usual, any attempt to try and change the discussion away from the Shins, or any excuse to say their crimes are o k because some one else did it.

Pathetic why so many Western posters openly support such a corrupt proven liar.

But then many "Western posters" find it strange, if not "pathetic", that some so enthusiastically welcome the overthrow of an elected government by a military junta, the appointment of a "legislative assembly" of cronies, and the widespread repression of a whole range of political, press and personal freedoms....

My observation suggests that the resident Western supporters of the Junta ( and the forces behind it) tend to be mainly lower middle class in background and more often than not indifferently educated.Lacking status in their own countries they seem to latch on to the forces of repression in Thailand (military, feudal and so forth - not directly because they have no personal access but through their association with the Thai urban classes who are the establishment's "useful fools".Perhaps their "wives" have something to do with it.

Generally they seem not to understand very much of Thai history or politics but invariably have a obsessive hatred of the Shinawatras.Naturally they never read or research even to confirm their prejudices.

There is a curious irony here because though they grovel at the feet of the Thai reactionaries and upper class, they are the first to rage against the toffs and upper class in their home countries.

He's back!

Well,sort of.

What democratic government in the world, where the PM is able to put his family and friends who have little or no political experience in key positions of government, even to be elected as PM?

What democratic government in the world, allows vote buying, via cash or intimidation.

Most would have to be elected in by elections and state elections first, would it be believable that all of TS friends and family were elected for these positions?

What democratic government in the world, would tell the people that they are going to take from the rich and give to the poor, then move the money that was promised to the poor to shelf companies and off shore accounts

What democratic government in the world, would have a militant group of thugs and violent offenders that will go out and disrupt the opposing governments, murder supporters the opposing governments including destruction of private property and burning down shopping centers.

I truly find it laughable but sad really that there are some people that STILL come out with statements like this in an effort to paint one man as the Boogieman, yet

if the very same questions or statements were applied to Mark or this current PM then well then silence or denial.

Question, Was Mark elected by the people? NO, did mark put his mates in positions of power in government YES, Did Mark give the green light to use violence and then live rounds on protesters? YES, Did Mark suppress people and information (censorship) YES.

Now how about this current PM?, Hmmm YES on all accounts as well,

So your point is? Are you trying to paint one as evil and the others as innocent?

In the interview Thaksin said he saw the coup coming, Well so did the rest of the world.

Off course he saw the coup coming. It was part of his strategy to gain world sympathy and what he was really pushing for. To this extent Thaksin was the driver for the coup. Once again his sociopathic manipulation created the result he needed.

A bit of forward thinking and he could have written amnesty for himself into a temporary constitution while he was in power. Just like someone else I know.

Just wondering why you think that someone who attempted to gain an amnesty shocks you so much, yet a coup leader who grants himself and his cronies one isn't even worth a mention.

I could not care less if the coup leaders are thrown into jail or not. But this is all about the coup and how or why it happened. The coup was not for personal gain, the amnesty of Thaksin.. well that is an other matter altogether. But if it makes you feel any better I would not oppose or shed a tear if the coup leaders get punished. But lets work things chonologically and let Thaksin first come home for his crimes.

I could not care less if the coup leaders are thrown into jail or not. But this is all about the coup and how or why it happened. The coup was not for personal gain, the amnesty of Thaksin.. well that is an other matter altogether. But if it makes you feel any better I would not oppose or shed a tear if the coup leaders get punished. But lets work things chonologically and let Thaksin first come home for his crimes.

A fair statement and fully agreed with you. However the reality is such that the coup leaders and their allies will not get fair punishment for their crimes while their political enemies always get their marching order and punishment.

You keep getting into the same thing mate, Why is it that you blame the coup on Thaksin due to an amnesty bill and not enacted or put into law?

YET you "could not care less" if the coup leaders are punished for the same thing (that would be amnesty) you carry on about.

Now as far as the Thaksin criminal fan-boys, He was charged with "abuse of power" and just what was that "abuse of power"?

He was found to have violated conflict of interest rules (were they LAWS or rules?) in helping his wife buy land from a state agency at a reduced price.

Questions, What state agency was it? was the land available to other potential buyers? who and why was the land price reduced? exactly what was the conflict of interest? each time I ask these questions all the Thaksin criminal haters shut up...

Edited by aussieinthailand

no..the coup was 100% altruistic. Suthep, AV, the army, ... no personal gain whatsoever.

I really wonder how deaf, dumb & blind people manage to write so many posts on a forum!

The establishment and the military are dragging their insistence to dominate in the past to the present. I can safely predict that there will be future coups whether we have Thaksin around or not so long as the establishment see that their dominance is being threatened. Even the current military leaders could not commit to an end to more coups.

The military did end the mayhem and could have done that without a coup. The coup has been in their scope when the PT won the election. They just have to find the right moment and the right person. They got their rabble rouser in Sondhi in "05 and Suthep in '14.

I agreed with you that we have to move on but the coup is no answer and has done more damages than good. 20 months post coup and we have yet to see meaningful reforms and decrease in corruption. Meanwhile the loyalist charter drafters are trying to take away more people rights while corruption are occurring within that can't be questioned.

I say give and trust the people to decide their future and select their representatives. Sooner or later, the people will wise up to their leaders' corrupt ways and poor performance at the ballot box.

Perhaps its true the military wants to stay relevant hence the coup, but there is no facts supporting that, just speculation compare to facts about incidents involving Thaksin and protests.

If the coup is not the answer, how do you propose we restore peace and keep protesters off the street? I mean TRT held a Reconciliation Forum and invited foreign leaders and Nobel Laureates to discuss and contribute on the matter. All of them unanimously agree that Amnesty is not the solution and should be avoided, instead leaders need to compromise. Yet TRT totally ignored that advice and pushed for Amnesty.

On the topic of coup and Amnesty, when TRT pushed for Amnesty that would have covered all the DEMs and people involved with the coup. So why would TRT push for it if they are so against the coup and army? Are they really that desperate to bring Thaksin back and wipe his board clean? Many red shirts do not support it too!

I don't see how protests can get any better if it were not for someone with enormous amount of power to restore law and order. I can tell you that corruption has been less because the army is running the country. Police are less likely to take bribes, all civil servants are watching their backs. Not only that, a few top corrupted police and politicians have been sentenced or going through trial. Corruption is still rampant, but there is an improvement.

I do agree that the country is sliding backwards with the new charters and limited rights, its better than having bombs thrown around in the city and lives lost with no end in sight. I feel like right now its somewhat similar to politics in HK and Singapore, you are not allow to criticize the government in anyway, if you do you will get jail sentences and reprimanded. Doesn't that ring a bell?

Only time will tell if the coup made a difference or not, but people already had a more than decade to decide their fate and it didn't turn out that well.

He's back!

Well,sort of.

Time constraints maybe ?

You keep getting into the same thing mate, Why is it that you blame the coup on Thaksin due to an amnesty bill and not enacted or put into law?

YET you "could not care less" if the coup leaders are punished for the same thing (that would be amnesty) you carry on about.

Now as far as the Thaksin criminal fan-boys, He was charged with "abuse of power" and just what was that "abuse of power"?

He was found to have violated conflict of interest rules (were they LAWS or rules?) in helping his wife buy land from a state agency at a reduced price.

Questions, What state agency was it? was the land available to other potential buyers? who and why was the land price reduced? exactly what was the conflict of interest? each time I ask these questions all the Thaksin criminal haters shut up...

Abuse of power with his conflict of interest in the Ratchada Land case. Wife bidded on the land, but needed Thaksins signature to do so.

Section 100 of the National Counter Corruption Act:

Any State official shall not carry out the following acts:

being a party to or having interest in a contract made with a Government agency where such State official performs duties in the capacity as State official who has the power to conduct supervision, control, inspection or legal proceedings;…Court ruled that FIDF was a state agency and that Thaksin had oversight of it.

The bidding practice was also questionable, there were three bidders but the down payment for these particular plots was jacked up from 10,000 baht to 100 million to prevent any other party from joining.

State Agency: Financial Institutions Development Fund (some argue its not since its independent and PM does not oversea it, but since is under BOT, it technically also is)

Available to other buyers: Yes

Why was Land Price Reduce: There was lots of irregularities when the land was sold, if they waited just couple weeks they could have sold it for 20% higher as government was re assessing the value of land. They also sold it when transfer fee was low. FIDF bought the land for 2.14 Billion, but they decide to accept Thaksins Wifes bid because that was the highest and nobody wanted to pay more. FIDF said they want to sell it since its been in the portfolio for so long. Some argue that Pojaman pay higher than government assessed value of the land, if you own land in Thailand, you will know government asses value is always lower than real market value. People have been complaining government asses value are wrong and that is why the rich owns so many land because taxes paid are so little.

Simply put, in Thaksin and his sister times they were good for the economy as monies flowed like water everywhere

but it was bad for the country,

with the Payout government, it's bad for the economy but good for the country, ( in the long run )

now all that Thailand have to do is find a way to merge the two with out to spill more blood in the streets....

Is that merge so it is bad for the economy and county?

Seriously Thailand is a basket case that will not change until they can deal to the patronage system that they all partake in or accept, which is the main driver of the corruption levels in the country.

Why the hate for this man in particular. He ran the country as good as and sometimes better

than a lot of his predecessors. He was obviously corrupt, but no more than anyone before.

Its the way the country operated, in the past , now and prob for years to come.

And all the nonsense re the red shirts being the cause of the fighting in BKK,

As I saw it it was 6 'o' one and half a dozen of the other.

And what the hell has it got to do with the farrangs on this site anyway.

How would you feel if a guest in your home, interfered in a 'domestic', between you and your wife.

But perhaps what they did not see coming was the ferocity of rights abuses and recriminations against the Shinawatra's. After all it was the Shinawrtra's that finally put paid to the decades of thievery from the nation by the general and elites with their high connections. they are now doing what they possibly can to ensure the trough is protected against "these unselected"

Still as I say what goes round comes round, Lets hope it comes quick enough to avoid the general putting the country back ( well those outside his circle of friends and contacts that is) to year zero

But perhaps what they did not see coming was the ferocity of rights abuses and recriminations against the Shinawatra's. After all it was the Shinawrtra's that finally put paid to the decades of thievery from the nation by the general and elites with their high connections. they are now doing what they possibly can to ensure the trough is protected against "these unselected"

Still as I say what goes round comes round, Lets hope it comes quick enough to avoid the general putting the country back ( well those outside his circle of friends and contacts that is) to year zero

"Year Zero" carries a very specific meaning in this part of the world.

Low as my opinion of the actions and motives of the current regime is, I would not describe them as cold blooded genocidal maniacs bent on totally destroying a society.

Abuse of power with his conflict of interest in the Ratchada Land case. Wife bidded on the land, but needed Thaksins signature to do so.

being a party to or having interest in a contract made with a Government agency where such State official performs duties in the capacity as State official who has the power to conduct supervision, control, inspection or legal proceedings;…Court ruled that FIDF was a state agency and that Thaksin had oversight of it.

The bidding practice was also questionable, there were three bidders but the down payment for these particular plots was jacked up from 10,000 baht to 100 million to prevent any other party from joining.

State Agency: Financial Institutions Development Fund (some argue its not since its independent and PM does not oversea it, but since is under BOT, it technically also is)

Why was Land Price Reduce: There was lots of irregularities when the land was sold, if they waited just couple weeks they could have sold it for 20% higher as government was re assessing the value of land. They also sold it when transfer fee was low. FIDF bought the land for 2.14 Billion, but they decide to accept Thaksins Wifes bid because that was the highest and nobody wanted to pay more. FIDF said they want to sell it since its been in the portfolio for so long. Some argue that Pojaman pay higher than government assessed value of the land, if you own land in Thailand, you will know government asses value is always lower than real market value. People have been complaining government asses value are wrong and that is why the rich owns so many land because taxes paid are so little.

Not to mention his case for bribing judges with a cake box of money.....

Now the loan scandal with billions....

There are so many valid cases against Thaksin that anyone defending him should get his head examined.

He's back!

Well,sort of.

What democratic (or Democrat) would people in power position who have little to no experience?

How about Democrat Abhisit who put a nurse in the seat of the MICT because her husband was banned from politics for electoral fraud?

And which general exactly has any political or other skills of the present government?

"The Bank of Thailand also confirmed that prior to transferring the land to Pojaman, the Bank had been in contact with the National Counter Corruption Committee (NCCC), and that the NCCC had replied that as Thaksin Shinawatra did not directly supervise the Financial Institutions Development Fund (FIDF), who were the official seller, then there would be no problem with the NCCC Act Article 100."

So, he was convicted for a breach of Article 100, BUT the committee overseeing that legislation had themselves PRIOR TO TRANSFERRING THE LAND confirmed that there was no breach of Article 100.

That is like asking the police what the speed limit is; adhering to it & then being fined for doing so. Ludicrous!

Also, compare the other sales of land by FIDF around the same time;

18th August 2003

35 rai (56,000 sq m) of land directly next to the cultural centre was sold to the Ministry of Culture to expand the Thai cultural centre for:

538 Million baht. (38,500 baht sq wah)

18th December 2003

33 rai (53,000 sq m) of land near to the cultural centre was sold to Pojaman Shinawatra to use as a private residence for:

772 Million baht. (58,000 baht/ sq wah

25th June 2004

50 rai (80,000 sq m) of land adjacent to the cultural centre was sold to MCOT Corporation to expand their Ratchada offices for:

1.12 Billion baht. (55,500 baht sq wah)

SO, Potjaman paid the most per sq wah for land in the same area. Substantially more than a deal just 3 months earlier.

Anyone that takes the time to really look into the details of this case, will come to the conclusion that it was a politically motivated, trumped up charge, with the sole purpose of purging a political rival that couldn't be removed through democratic elections or an unbiased justice system.

“And in April, they started to put bunkers on the streets… Then I knew,” he said,

nothin' slow about this guy, ... jeez, it was obvious in November that the coup was on the way. If you were really dense, then it took until the blocked elections in Feb 2014 to realize the end-game...

yeah, nothing slow about old Thakky... I think he's BS'ing it...

"The Bank of Thailand also confirmed that prior to transferring the land to Pojaman, the Bank had been in contact with the National Counter Corruption Committee (NCCC), and that the NCCC had replied that as Thaksin Shinawatra did not directly supervise the Financial Institutions Development Fund (FIDF), who were the official seller, then there would be no problem with the NCCC Act Article 100."

So, he was convicted for a breach of Article 100, BUT the committee overseeing that legislation had themselves PRIOR TO TRANSFERRING THE LAND confirmed that there was no breach of Article 100.

That is like asking the police what the speed limit is; adhering to it & then being fined for doing so. Ludicrous!

18th August 2003

35 rai (56,000 sq m) of land directly next to the cultural centre was sold to the Ministry of Culture to expand the Thai cultural centre for:

18th December 2003

33 rai (53,000 sq m) of land near to the cultural centre was sold to Pojaman Shinawatra to use as a private residence for:

25th June 2004

50 rai (80,000 sq m) of land adjacent to the cultural centre was sold to MCOT Corporation to expand their Ratchada offices for:

SO, Potjaman paid the most per sq wah for land in the same area. Substantially more than a deal just 3 months earlier.

Anyone that takes the time to really look into the details of this case, will come to the conclusion that it was a politically motivated, trumped up charge, with the sole purpose of purging a political rival that couldn't be removed through democratic elections or an unbiased justice system.

More precisely:

"Section 29 of the Bank of Thailand Act of 1942 stated that the Prime Minister did not have jurisdiction to oversee the FIDF, because those managing the fund had sole authority for policies, control, oversight and regulations governing the agency"

However, the court hold that "that Thaksin was a de facto supervisor of the Fund"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potjaman_Na_Pombejra

PS to both previous posters: please put the source links for readers who may want to know more about this issue :)

18th August 2003

18th December 2003

25th June 2004

LOVE YA WORK MATEthumbsup.gif

Now as I said, All the Thaksin "convicted criminal"l haters have shut up YET AGIAN when FACTS have been put to them.

YOU lot make me laugh with your same ol drivel that is proven INCORRECT and politically motivated charges that so many have been stating.

So now fella's what ya got now??? oh yeah war on drugs, ok come up with proof irrefutable that Thaksin gave direct orders to kill people involved in the drug trade, REALLY really think ya can't so get over that one also, Next Thaksin boogieman claptrap?????

I also believe that in LOS if a wife buy's land then her husband must sign paperwork as required by Thai law.

The law is a very simple one that exists for very obvious reasons in most countries around the world. Government employees can not be involved in bidding for state owned property. Nothing complicated about it, and the fact that we had the attempted court bribe followed by the lack of an appeal, suggests that the guilty parties involved were aware of this.

If you are really determined to defend Thaksin and his wife on this, as you seem to be, the only thing you can say is that this is the sort of crime that leaders, politicians and other members of the elite, tend to commit without batting an eyelid, safe in the knowledge that they are above the law, and so there is no doubt that Thaksin was singled out. Personally though that isn't something i lose sleep about. A start has been made, and that is better than no start at all.

All this talk is pointless as long as the real issues cannot be mentioned or discussed in an open and constructive way because it is illegal and very dangerous. From my personal experience all sides are equally bad but the main difference is that under Thaksin everybody was allowed to make money but under his opponents' rule, only their affiliates are allowed to make money. In Thaksin's heydays I had already predicted that there was a huge risk that the power was going to go to his head and that it was going to be his downfall. Unfortunately the current regressive path chosen by the self-appointed enlightened ones is a recipe for disaster.

The law is a very simple one that exists for very obvious reasons in most countries around the world. Government employees can not be involved in bidding for state owned property. Nothing complicated about it, and the fact that we had the attempted court bribe followed by the lack of an appeal, suggests that the guilty parties involved were aware of this.

If you are really determined to defend Thaksin and his wife on this, as you seem to be, the only thing you can say is that this is the sort of crime that leaders, politicians and other members of the elite, tend to commit without batting an eyelid, safe in the knowledge that they are above the law, and so there is no doubt that Thaksin was singled out. Personally though that isn't something i lose sleep about. A start has been made, and that is better than no start at all.

Although I agree with several of your points, and yes there is a need to keep poly's in check, What I would like to know was Thaksin involved in the purchase of state owned land, or was he implicated by signing a document of his wife's purchase of land that is required (I believe) by Thai law.

What document did he sign? and how it proves involvement? The actual rule he supposedly broke was a conflict of interest rule, which has metastasized into an "abuse of power" charge, now that's some serious evolution there man, Darwin would be proud.