Do you exercise?

Rob8891

I made the mistake of trying to jog a couple of years ago...as a kid I injured my back, and the jogging really hurt it again. Now I make sure that I choose non-impact activities - cycling and swimming. People should make sure they choose sensible and appropriate types of exercise or they could suffer serious injury.

Many make mistake thinking jogging is good for you. I think it's one of the worst excercise you can do. The amount of pressure on your knees is about 10 times if you were to walk.

In my option, fast paced walk for 30-40 mins is by far better than jogging.

Push ups, pull ups are all great .

Will post a quick great program to keep fit in a second

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lumpini Park is a good 'outdoor gym' - 2.5 Km running track that has decent shade for most of the run - I only do 2 laps, but then there's exercise equipment next to the track - basic but had adjustable weights.

I either run to the park or if feeling lazy get a motorsai.

I've exercised every day since July 1st 2004 - Yep over 11 and a half years without missing a day.

I've built it up gradually over the years but now every morning I do:

20 minutes upper body weights, including sit-ups, then:
30 minutes cardio on the elliptical cross-trainer, then:
20 minutes upper body weights

....shower, then lunch. As a result I can eat and drink pretty much whatever I like, within reason, and maintain a physique better than it's ever been.

If ever I'm sick (very rare): get out of bed, throw up, cross trainer, throw up, back to bed. Lol

Absolutely, especially if youre living in a developing country and exposed to all manner of pollution, fire burning, low quality water/food etc.

Key is variety on regular basis so you dont get bored (eg, cycling walkng/running, swim, etc). Once you get into a routine, your body will crave the physical activity and feel like crap otherwise.

It looks like I was pushing my luck too, Sipi, so I'll go off and do some stretches.....Stretching out on the sofa, stretching eyelids over the eyes.....

You might have fared better if posted in the Health forum rather than the Farang Pub forum.

It looks like I was pushing my luck too, Sipi, so I'll go off and do some stretches.....Stretching out on the sofa, stretching eyelids over the eyes.....

You might have fared better if posted in the Health forum rather than the Farang Pub forum.

I might have fared better if I'd given Sipi a clear warning before I posted!! tongue.png The Pub is livelier, so more chance of some laughs as well as discussion - Sipi got that bit off to a good start.

A fast paced walk may be better for your knees in the long run but it certainly isn't better exercise than running

That's a kind of silly statement smile.png

If running ruins your knees how can it be better than paced walk?

Without wanting to cause an argument, I don't think Razzler was being silly - I agree with him. Fast walking doesn't cause impact shock on the knees unless one is very overweight. Although not overweight myself (81kgs), I find jogging causes shock to the knees and to the injured area of my back: fast walking does neither to me. I doubt that fast walking would generally have as much cardio benefit as jogging, on the other hand / foot.

I begin my exercise just before dawn every day...martial art style. The warm up and warm down (stretching etc.) are essential, especially as OAP (Ha!), but they do exercise inside too. These gently massage inner organs and so one gets an all round 'tune up'. Now don't get me wrong, any exercise is good but make sure you exercise the whole body. Swimming certainly does that! But peddling a bike alone leaves various parts lacking as does other one or two 'dimensional' sports. And don't forget the co-ruler the brain. Indulge in some chosen topic, research it and so on so as to exercise the mind too (mine is science and one or two other things). A friend of mine decided to learn as much as he could about the part of Thailand he lived in. He thoroughly enjoyed himself...he is approaching 90th birthday.

I accept what you say about cycling, but it has suited my needs recently. I usually cycle as fast as I can which gets the heart pumping: it has been one of the ways in which I have been trying (successfully) to lower raised blood pressure. It is also great for the knees / legs which were in danger of getting a bit creaky. I used to swim, and will do so again soon, as soon as the local pool has secured one vital but missing ingredient - yup, water!

I know a few people that use a phone app called "steps" that measures how far you walk each day.

Yes, you try to average 10,000 steps a day................its not hard in the city. I do 30 mins on the treadmill each AM, tired or not, got to have a reason for getting up in the morning don';t we??

A fast paced walk may be better for your knees in the long run but it certainly isn't better exercise than running

Without wanting to cause an argument, I don't think Razzler was being silly - I agree with him. Fast walking doesn't cause impact shock on the knees unless one is very overweight. Although not overweight myself (81kgs), I find jogging causes shock to the knees and to the injured area of my back: fast walking does neither to me. I doubt that fast walking would generally have as much cardio benefit as jogging, on the other hand / foot.

Jogging can cause impact damage on the knees and hips but one can decrease this significantly by jogging on normal firm soil instead of concrete or hard unyielding surface. Also a good pair of shoes. But in Thailand a good jogging surface may be hard to find and wear on the shoes needs to be carefully checked so that the impact doesn't increase. Shoes can wear quickly and would need to be replaced regularly which could be expensive. One can use 'step ups' before a jog to help to strengthen tendons and circular movements of the waist can help the hip. Those living in BKK probably have use of a gym close by and if they have the Olympic thickness jigsaw rubber mats so much the better. They have the right amount of impact absorption and so are better for the older people and lessen the risk of stress fractures.

Older people have to be mindful of a couple of important things; their joints start to give in and their muscular strength starts to diminish.

Walking is very healthy, but, to get the true benefit, you need to get your heart rate up; a simple stroll is not going to help very much.

As to the joints and the muscle strength, one needs to be doing load-bearing exercises, not pushing iron, necessarily, but applying

some kind of force to the joints and on the muscles.

There is a medical condition known as sarcopenia, which affects the elderly, which is muscle-wastage through advancing years.

If you want to avoid having your wife or gf helping you upstairs or into a lift, as you get older, then start the load-bearing exercises

well in advance.

Older people have to be mindful of a couple of important things; their joints start to give in and their muscular strength starts to diminish.

Walking is very healthy, but, to get the true benefit, you need to get your heart rate up; a simple stroll is not going to help very much.

As to the joints and the muscle strength, one needs to be doing load-bearing exercises, not pushing iron, necessarily, but applying

some kind of force to the joints and on the muscles.

There is a medical condition known as sarcopenia, which affects the elderly, which is muscle-wastage through advancing years.

If you want to avoid having your wife or gf helping you upstairs or into a lift, as you get older, then start the load-bearing exercises

well in advance.

A guy I knew when I was a young man who lived to be almost 100 told me that you got to keep moving. Walking, bouncing around like jumping jacks to keep your insides moving and sex when ever you get the chance. This guy was as sharp as a whip but died just before 100th birthday.

I believe in what he said and try to follow his example. Thailand is great for his last instruction and try to double up as often as possible.

Edited by ttthailand

That was exactly my point that walking is better for you and you are wrong about jogging providing better cardio.

Your heart only needs to reach certain level in order to burn fat and general wellness.

Fast paced walk for 30 mins is just as good as 15 min jog, and you keeping your joints safe.

Overweight certainly plays its part, however when pressure on your knee is at least 10 times your weight, in reality your knees are taking an impact of someone in your case weighing 800 kg.

I swim at my condo. I try and swim at least 3-5 times a week, but I was lazy for several months and didn't swim at all. One lap is 500 meters and takes me about 15-20 minutes. After I get done swimming I usually do 50 curls or 50 push-ups. I used to like to weight train more, but the equipment here is too expensive and I don't have the room for it. I hate the gyms in Pattaya and would not set foot into those hot dirty places. I only use the gym at high end hotels while on vacation.

500 metres,thats a hell of a pool.

Lack of access to free weights? I use to lift, but then moved to the village. Consider looking into Convict Conditioning to get resistance training. Check out: http://breakingmuscle.com/interviews/convict-conditioning-the-forgotten-art-of-bodyweight-training-book-excerpt or you can just Google 'Convict Conditioning' and read the various comments on the technique.

I swim at my condo. I try and swim at least 3-5 times a week, but I was lazy for several months and didn't swim at all. One lap is 500 meters and takes me about 15-20 minutes. After I get done swimming I usually do 50 curls or 50 push-ups. I used to like to weight train more, but the equipment here is too expensive and I don't have the room for it. I hate the gyms in Pattaya and would not set foot into those hot dirty places. I only use the gym at high end hotels while on vacation.

500 metres,thats a hell of a pool.
Yes it is. 250 meters long. Runs the full length of the 4 buildings at my condo complex.

4 days weights split each day before work.. 1 day cardio if I can be bothered on the weekend.. Amazing how good you feel for the day if you have been training in the morning.. Luckily misses is a fitness freak and loves training also... Makes it easier with eating right..

Oh and 15 seconds of sprint training above my wife every night... Hope that counts..

Edited by wow64

I walk. Retired now 7 years every day, without exception,

I walk for at least an hour. I get out early before it gets

Hot, usually walk along the beach. If it rains, I am

One of those mall walkers. If I indulge in that pizza or

Extra chocolate cake I do an extra 30minutes the next

Day. My weight has not increased since I retired, I feel

Great and look forward to exercising .

Came to Thailand 4 plus years ago at 67 and weighing 109 kilos at 1.7m and some muscular-skeletal problems. Changed to 95% Thai diet skipping as much of the fried food as possible, through my wife is a very good Lanna style cook.

Started loosing weight just on the diet, found a very deep tissue massage guy and spend 4 hours a week with him working on getting be back to working order. I bought a large elliptical machine and started using that and started swimming most every day and continued to loose weight. Started a weekly yoga class about 2-1/2 years ago, which was both the hardest and best thing I have done. Flexibility has never come naturally and I started from the bottom of that continuum.

While the yoga was helping to rebuild my strength, I had lost a lot of muscle mass and strength and while yoga will certainly build strength but there is a chicken and egg issue. So, I started a weight training program 3 months ago. So, now I have a weekly 90 yoga class in town and do 45 minutes at home most every evening. I go the gym every other day for an hour to 90-minute workout, mostly on a cable system.

My weight is down to 89 kilos and I feel like 50 again (the last time I had a good exercise program). Yes, I spend a lot of time doing all of this (10-15 hours a week), but longevity runs on both sides and if I am going to live to 90 plus, then it makes no sense not to do what is prudent to maintain the quality of like as high as I can. Energy is way up, and this is probably the most important thing; once you choose a program you like and push through the beginning, you find that (1) you really enjoy it, and (2) you begin to see and feel the benefits.

Came to Thailand 4 plus years ago at 67 and weighing 109 kilos at 1.7m and some muscular-skeletal problems. Changed to 95% Thai diet skipping as much of the fried food as possible, through my wife is a very good Lanna style cook.

Started loosing weight just on the diet, found a very deep tissue massage guy and spend 4 hours a week with him working on getting be back to working order. I bought a large elliptical machine and started using that and started swimming most every day and continued to loose weight. Started a weekly yoga class about 2-1/2 years ago, which was both the hardest and best thing I have done. Flexibility has never come naturally and I started from the bottom of that continuum.

While the yoga was helping to rebuild my strength, I had lost a lot of muscle mass and strength and while yoga will certainly build strength but there is a chicken and egg issue. So, I started a weight training program 3 months ago. So, now I have a weekly 90 yoga class in town and do 45 minutes at home most every evening. I go the gym every other day for an hour to 90-minute workout, mostly on a cable system.

My weight is down to 89 kilos and I feel like 50 again (the last time I had a good exercise program). Yes, I spend a lot of time doing all of this (10-15 hours a week), but longevity runs on both sides and if I am going to live to 90 plus, then it makes no sense not to do what is prudent to maintain the quality of like as high as I can. Energy is way up, and this is probably the most important thing; once you choose a program you like and push through the beginning, you find that (1) you really enjoy it, and (2) you begin to see and feel the benefits.

looks that the years that u ar egaining you spend in the gym....a cat bites her tail...but well doing ...exercise is great but half hour extrem intensiv should do...what is extrem intensity ? you should womit at least once in your 25 minutes of hell....a better way is banging your lady five times a day and if she refuses turn to her sister ...thats more pleasant and fills your years with quality ....better one quality year thaan five shit years full of exercises and diet

Health is number 1, 2 and 3, next to a good (Thai - or Asian, or any race, let's broaden the parameters..) wife.

Consequently, I watch my diet and exercise every day

Cross training - Bench press is my specialty

Do more cardio these days

Whether in Canada or Thailand I don't change my habits

Regarding working out anyways..whistling.gif