British man calls on police to fully investigate murder of Thai wife

webfact

British man calls on police to fully investigate murder of Thai wife
Kwaang Siripoom

thr.jpg

TRANG:-- A British man has called for police to launch a thorough investigation into the murder of his wife.

Yesterday, Mr. Neil Jeremy Whalley, 48, along with his wife’s sister met with officers at Trang police station to demand the persons responsible for his wife’s murder are brought to justice.

Mr Whalley’s wife, Jae-Tik Rattana Whalley, 39, was shot dead in the early hours of Saturday morning by an unidentified gunman as she sat in her black Toyota pickup truck near Tesco Lotus in Trang province.

The deceased woman’s family also disputed what they say are inaccuracies in the reporting of the case by Thai media, with some news reports claiming Jae-Tik was a loan shark and that she was having an affair.

Earlier, police had said that they believe some kind of conflict of interest was likely to be the motive for the woman’s murder.

Police also confirmed that a significant amount of cash and gold was found inside the vehicle of the deceased.

However, Mr Whalley, a former banker based in Singapore, and his wife’s family dispute both the claims of the media and the police, insisting that Jae-Tik was not having an affair and that she was not loan shark, having only previously ever loaned money to friends and family.

Ms Ratchanee also confirmed to police and the media how her sister had been married to Mr Whalley for more than 10 years and that she was not a loan shark and urged police to focus their attention on gaining evidence against the perpetrators of the murder of her sister.

Police are continuing to investigate the incident.

Source: ThaiRath

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-01

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My partner and I did some such operations also in the past. Lending money to people who would not otherwise get a bank overdraft is current practice. The clients are generally well-known and most often repay. The going rate for this is 3% monthly. I took 2%. Still a lot compared to normal Western Credit conditions, yes. But Loan Shark seems inaccurate, as this points to large amounts, mafia connections and unhealthy collection practices.

Considering Thailand's strict defamation laws, Thai media is well known for saying all manner of inaccurate things about people, normally poor people who can't afford to sue.

RIP to the lady and hope the British guy gets justice for his wife

Edited by pinkpanther99

Not uncommon for people to have business dealings unmentioned outside the relationship.

I know a guy that had to re-buy his house due to the wife signing over the property due to unknown gambling problem.

So that's why you're a "grumpy old man"....

...the family is denying or the husband is....

...if he is based in Singapore how can he have a clue....

...R.I.P. to the woman but.....

...'police found a significant amount of money and gold in the car'......

...so something is/was definitely up......

Not uncommon for people to have business dealings unmentioned outside the relationship.

I know a guy that had to re-buy his house due to the wife signing over the property due to unknown gambling problem.

His house? A Thai guy?

Thats funny i know the same man ,or maybe there lot men with the same problem

With all due respect to the deceased, people don't get shot for nothing,

barring a mistake in identity, something is/was a miss here for the poor

women to be shot like this,,, time will tell and the truth will be reviled

in time we hope.....

Not uncommon for people to opine about something that has no proven and direct relationship to the story at hand.

My partner and I did some such operations also in the past. Lending money to people who would not otherwise get a bank overdraft is current practice. The clients are generally well-known and most often repay. The going rate for this is 3% monthly. I took 2%. Still a lot compared to normal Western Credit conditions, yes. But Loan Shark seems inaccurate, as this points to large amounts, mafia connections and unhealthy collection practices.

My wife and I loaned money to many poorThais in the village we lived. We did not charge any interest. We like to do good deeds and help people. Did you have a work permit and pay tax on your money loaning proceeds?

What you were doing was illegal and unregulated money lending. You were charging huge amounts of interest and praying on the people who could not legitimate credit in the banks, this generally means low earning individuals or families but not always.

I guess you saw your exploitation as a public service, right?

Incidentally how did you get your money back with no "mafia style" collection practices? You would not have the letter of the law to back you up, and simply saying "oh please pay" would not achieve a lot either. They have no credit at the banks for a reason.

In this article it states that the woman was not a loan shark but she had large amounts of cash and gold in the car,, it doesn't stipulate how much equates to large amounts but assuming this is correct it is unusual to be carrying this around with you.

Whatever the situation I hope they find who is responsible and bring them to justice,,,

Could be just a case of road rage. Have they checked the car or truck for dents or scratches ? And cameras around the streets a few blocks to see if any one following her ?

Not sure why but I don't trust the police to do anything. If I was the guy I would offer 100k baht to anyone who brings evidence to convict the killer (s).

3% a month is loansharking, period .

There are many Thais in north central Thailand that would consider 3% a month a charity! About 5 years ago the rate for secured loans (property chanote deposited) was 3% - 5%, and unsecured was 10% a month. My girlfriend's family did good business at these rates, and had a few chanotes taken from defaulters. The moneys owed from unsecured borrowers were usually paid on a day by day basis.

facepalm.gif Whatever the reason for the shooting it's obvious that something was not kosher here.

Late and in a pickup with loads of Cash does not signal that the lady was an innocent.

I note the husband was a Banker! Mmmm

As to illegal lending of money at exorbitant rates it happens all over Thailand and causes a lot of heartache and violence.

Thai will borrow without thinking of how they can pay back.......then along come 2 guys on a motorbike......Bang Bye.whistling.gif

DO not... i repeat ... do not ever... ever.ever.ever, loan any thai money unless you dont mind never getting it back. ANd loaning to thai policeman is even worse. ... and they are in debt the most... besides teachers... thats why most of them take up side jobs with the MAFIA.

I agree with you one million % , how stupid are people on here who loan money to a thai or any one just stupid.

If you are a foreigner I wouldn't advertise that. I've never seen a work permit stating Loan Shark as the legal occupation.

His house? A Thai guy?

Spot on! Some will miss the satire.

So you're a loan shark. Don't mince words or split hairs.