Why do some farang lie so much?

Rob8891

Sure, everyone at some point, for some reason tells small lies, whether it's to protect someone exaggerate an otherwise uneventful night, or whatever... These are harmless little exaggerations that, for me, are annoying if they are so unbelievable that it's obvious, but harmless. I usually just call these guys out in subtle ways and/or sarcasm.

I think this thread is more about the giant fabrications and completely ridiculous stories we hear from some of these ex/current CIA operatives, super secret special forces guys, super richest guys in the world... and even worse, the conmen looking for a mark that we run into here and there.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I stopped lying after I won the lottery and was made redundant from the SAS.

As a hedge Fund manager I had to tell a few porkies, but now I am retired I just stick to the truth, so much easier to keep track of stuff.

After winning a lottery it is even more worthwhile telling a "few Porkies" if need be about your finances especially in Thailand.

For your own good NEVER let anybody know how much money or assets you have. Not the Thai Wife and family either and especially NOT a Mia Noi or Thai Girlfriend. Thousands have learnt that the hard way. Being Flashy and bragging in Thailand is liking driving on a Highway to disaster along the way sooner than later. Wise men do not divulge their assets and funds- only having 1 ATM Card and One Bank Account with just the necessary in there for a decent Living ,supplementing in CASH over Counter when necessary NOT by TRANSFERS from a different bank.

. Keep the rest of the Nest Egg Offshore and dividends going into different Bank with NO ATM attached and only Cash withdrawal in person , if and as needed. This saved my brothers bacon I can tell you and many of his friends since.

@cutouts

Care with one's money is always something to hard, but so also is choosing the right partner / gf / wife. Life would be miserable without money, but so it be too if one constantly suspected one's gf / whatever and had to be forever looking over one's shoulder. One can take the girl out of the bar, but not the bar out of the girl, eh? ....or one could look for a gf elsewhere.

As a hedge Fund manager I had to tell a few porkies, but now I am retired I just stick to the truth, so much easier to keep track of stuff.

After winning a lottery it is even more worthwhile telling a "few Porkies" if need be about your finances especially in Thailand.

For your own good NEVER let anybody know how much money or assets you have. Not the Thai Wife and family either and especially NOT a Mia Noi or Thai Girlfriend. Thousands have learnt that the hard way. Being Flashy and bragging in Thailand is liking driving on a Highway to disaster along the way sooner than later. Wise men do not divulge their assets and funds- only having 1 ATM Card and One Bank Account with just the necessary in there for a decent Living ,supplementing in CASH over Counter when necessary NOT by TRANSFERS from a different bank.

. Keep the rest of the Nest Egg Offshore and dividends going into different Bank with NO ATM attached and only Cash withdrawal in person , if and as needed. This saved my brothers bacon I can tell you and many of his friends since.

Wise men don't share their lives with people they don't trust.

Well i have now come back from the international space station stint,to rejoin the Sas,and lead a group of mixed sas,delta force,and seals into Raqqa,to sieze Al bagdahdi,but i don't go round telling everyone about it,just most people.

Ah, so that explains your recent disappearance (are you telling me you WEREN'T on the Hatton Garden job?)

Edited by Rob8891

One of the aspects that moving to a different continent can provide is reinventing yourself to be who and whatever you want or choose, as there is no one (probably) that knows your actual story/past. Therefore certain individuals capitalise on it, thrive on it, sad really, that they feel they have to deny who and what they really are and replace it with a "story" to appear to be more interesting, or pehaps hide a shameful past.

There is of course also those that may have been through some kind of life changing event or trauma, where the reality is just too painful or even dangerous for them.

Who knows ? We all have different stories, different reasons, thats what makes many of us interesting too, be pretty boring really if we were all the same and just clones of one particular "type".

Do we ever really "know" someone ?

The first example would fall down if he were to encounter someone in his home country, in Thailand and on the internet and not manage to keep his stories straight. The lies and the BS would then become obvious.

It does happen.

All too far fetched. They may have just adopted "Thai-Ways". Catering to the concept of "Thainess".

Cheers.

This is another big lie, to blame the locals for your own shortcomings.

May I ask politely: How many years have you been living in Thailand ?

Cheers.

I have found, the ones that lie so much are usually

Nothing more than losers in their Home Cointry and they

Feel the can "re-invent" themselves half way around the

World. Of course, unless you are a total idiot you can see

Trough the these lies in about 5 minutes and avoid these

Blow bags like the plague.

Many of the westerners who choose to resettle in Thailand do it because they have nothing left at home. If their lives were so wonderful, chances are they wouldn't have left. So when they arrive here, do you think in an attempt to start a better life, they are going to come clean about who they really are and why they left? Chances are a slim.

Some may be honest, more will exaggerate or highlight their few achievements (not necessarily anything wrong with this), and others will just plain old lie.

being a ex deep cover CIA operative in the purchasing department of the Thai Royal navy i can tell you with certainty ... that yes ...the navy ordered those 2 subs from china with retractable wheels . the delay in the delivery date is due to the Chinese project manager's death . it seem's he suffered a stroke brought on by his uncontrollable laughter after reading the "wheels" addendum . falling down ,cracking his head open and bleeding out was the end of him . in some ways he is kinda lucky , at least he did not read about the hover-craft option the Thai Navy was considering to add on . yep dats my story and i am sticking to it .........

It's the motives of the out-and-out Bullsh***ers which interest me the most. The odd lie here and there is tolerable - almost normal, if you like - but there are some folk who just can't stop themselves from uttering complete crap, day after day. I see them as sad individuals with a low self-image for whatever reason (maybe they are envious of people around them, who have happy and/or settled lives) and they're often desperate to somehow to attract public approbation, even from strangers. They usually fail, and end up as even greater buffoons, figures of fun with whom folk rapidly lose patience.

Those sorts of lies are plain sad, but as a previous poster said, when lies are used to attack another person, that is way out of line.There is something seriously wrong with anyone who does that. I don't really understand how it can make the liar feel any better.

It's the motives of the out-and-out Bullsh***ers which interest me the most. The odd lie here and there is tolerable - almost normal, if you like - but there are some folk who just can't stop themselves from uttering complete crap, day after day. I see them as sad individuals with a low self-image for whatever reason (maybe they are envious of people around them, who have happy and/or settled lives) and they're often desperate to somehow to attract public approbation, even from strangers. They usually fail, and end up as even greater buffoons, figures of fun with whom folk rapidly lose patience.

Those sorts of lies are plain sad, but as a previous poster said, when lies are used to attack another person, that is way out of line.There is something seriously wrong with anyone who does that. I don't really understand how it can make the liar feel any better.

The attention seeking liars stand out in even the biggest crowd and are an embarrassment not only to themselves. Give them a very wide berth.

The attention seeking liars stand out in even the biggest crowd and are an embarrassment not only to themselves. Give them a very wide berth.

For sure, but I reckon many folk are taken in by 'salesman' talk...After all, salesman have the 'gift of the gab', they are trained to sell stuff and folk fall for it, taken in if you like...Sure we have all been faced with that stuff...

It must be a sad life for folk like that, having to make up lies to be to try to make friends with people. A fragile life, which constantly shatters as the lies are exposed. Karma.

But I suspect folk like that don't care about being found out, just like a salesman selling stuff, convincing folk to buy.

We have all been there for sure.....smile.png

But a salesman lying to sell has something to gain, a sale and some $$ (at the expense of his reputation).

What does something dredged from the riverbed have to gain by lying?

I've no idea why people lie about this one:..

Those who insist they live in Thailand, or maintain a house in Thailand, but clearly do not

I saw someone recently comment they were moving back to their home country... where they already lived blink.png

Is it fear of not being recognized as a Thai expert?

Others might have more insight

Edited by BookMan

I asked a simple question. How do you know these people don't live in Thailand?

Either you have an answer to that question, or you don't actually know where they live at all.

i already answered you in the most simple of terms

I don't need to provide you with documentary evidence of how or why

much like most of what you say yourself,some things have to be taken on trust

The ultimate lie starts in Mr. Farang's home country. Upon leaving home-country, with the purpose of retiring in Thailand, the usual reasoning (spread among family and friends) is:

"The charm of Thailand and it's people is overwhelming, The Temples, the beautiful landscape (jungle or rice paddies), The climate (9 months out of the year, a Finnish sauna, with no off switch). The cheap cost of living (used to be), the pristine beaches (where?)"

The rest of the world, including Thai-Immigration, know very well, why Farangs originating from the "western Hemisphere" congregate in Tourist-Hub's in Thailand. It's not because of any of the reasons mentioned above.

It's easy to lie. But so much harder to display honesty.

Cheers.

I think I must have taken a wrong turning when I came out of the airport because I live up country in rural Khampaeng Phet and nowhere near a tourist hub.

It is nicer up here as there are very few farangs to meet and bullsh1t to.

I save it all for TVF.

Either you have an answer to that question, or you don't actually know where they live at all.

So you don't know, then.

So you don't know, then.
Listen to you. Trying to pick a fight like a 12 year old

I said i know. Not too hard to understand is it?

So you don't know, then.
Listen to you. Trying to pick a fight like a 12 year old

I said i know. Not too hard to understand is it?

If you explained how you know, we'd be able to understand.

That fact that you can't makes it look like you don't know.

As you're unable to answer the question, I guess we'll have to leave it at that.

Thank you very much for your advice. I had not realised that my wife was like that at all.

I bought her land, a house, gold, car, motor scooter, set her up in business (which failed through no fault of her own). We have shared bank accounts, credit and debit cards. She was a director of my 2 companies until I closed them down.

I always believed that she was different.

Having said all that which is true I have known her for 23 years in a couple of months, we have a 12year old son and next months we will have been married 16 years.

I suspect that in that period of time she has had plenty of opportunity to rip me off, push me off the balcony, pay somebody to make me disappear but so far she hasn't done anything like that.

Why would that be I wonder? Could it be because she IS different or is it because like every other person she is an individual? I know at least 20 other guys who I have met over the years of varying ages and nationalities who are like me and my wife.

I do understand that there ARE Thai women such as you describe but ALL Thai women are the same nor are ALL farang men the same either.

You cannot simply generalise ALL Thai women when perhaps only 5 or 10% are as you describe.

I could equally generalise and say that your brother and his friends are stupid for not trusting Thai women but I would be wrong to say so. They may be smart or lucky.