The holy grail... A decent builder!

After months of heart ache searching for a builder I've come to know how truly difficult it is to find a good one. So I'd like to pass on to members a recommendation....

So I'd like to heartily recommend the guy who's on my project. Easy to work with, honest and certainly knows his stuff! Recommended changes to save money, encouraged me buy everything I could or went with me to try and get money off! All the right contacts to help you with planning permission etc....

Currently on 2 projects but spare slots coming up soon.. Just message me for me info, will help out if I can.

Yes mate, don't know what you mean really? Can't I just give a recommendation? He's done a great job for me and I'm trying to get him some business? Why so cynical?

sorry buddy, as I said no offence, the way the advert was presented was indeed a too good to be true type of advert. Perhaps you should word it differently. People like me who read it on FB once would avoid it. Just a suggestion! again don't take it personally :-)

Why are people so cynical? Is it so hard to believe... This isn't the first house... no, obviously... I had multiple references too.

You must have learned quick then, because only 8 months ago you declared yourself "I'm new to Thai building or any building really!".

And now you claim that this isn't your first house obviously?

You just confirmed my suspicions about your agenda.

I had a house built in udon whilst in UK, I wouldn't declare myself a building expert to any means. I have my site visited and inspected by somebody who is once or twice a week for that reason. Never had a problem yet....

I've been coming to Thailand for almost 20 years, married to thai over 10.had a business with 20 thai employees.... I know business, I know thai... Good and bad....

My agenda... Clear. Find work for a decent builder, who now I consider a friend. Of course he will look at my jobs favourably if I find him business, that's the way it is here and in business anywhere.

I thought I was helping others board members too...

I had a house built in udon whilst in UK, I wouldn't declare myself a building expert to any means. I have my site visited and inspected by somebody who is once or twice a week for that reason. Never had a problem yet....

I've been coming to Thailand for almost 20 years, married to thai over 10.had a business with 20 thai employees.... I know business, I know thai... Good and bad....

My agenda... Clear. Find work for a decent builder, who now I consider a friend. Of course he will look at my jobs favourably if I find him business, that's the way it is here and in business anywhere.

I thought I was helping others board members too...

Good of you to post as the subject comes up often usually with little or no response.

Is he interested in relatively small jobs as well or only larger projects?

Thanks

I think a good rule of thumb when building a house is that you buy your own fixtures, flooring, etc to save money.. If the builder refuse to agree to this, then he is simply looking for an opporunity to rip you off or cut corners. If you do want them to factor that cost in, then they should be able to provide a bill of material and estimated cost of each item.

I think a good rule of thumb when building a house is that you buy your own fixtures, flooring, etc to save money.. If the builder refuse to agree to this, then he is simply looking for an opporunity to rip you off or cut corners. If you do want them to factor that cost in, then they should be able to provide a bill of material and estimated cost of each item.

yes it's called bill of quantities, given as an 'estimate' ... He has no problem working labour only.

• 4 weeks later...

Why are people so cynical? Is it so hard to believe...

People are cynical because this is Thailand. Recommendations here tend to be for the person who pays the most commission, or for someone who is related to the person doing the recommending.

Yes mate your right that's the system here... But I know when I was recommended this builder initially it was by my real estate agent she will have got a kick back for sure.... He help me out on the build and with a recent accident involving police and insurance. But I'm not hiding the fact I've got a pool to fit and guest bungalow to build and would expect favourable treatment ha ha.. At the end of the day he deserves the recommendations and I thought I was helping board members with something I found difficult......