Israel's Netanyahu to visit Africa for Operation Thunderbolt anniversary

webfact

Israeli PM to visit Africa for Operation Thunderbolt anniversary
TONY OFUNGI, ETN UGANDA CORRESPONDENT

ENTEBBE, Uganda (eTN) - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is planning a landmark visit to Uganda and Kenya this summer to mark 40 years since the July 4, 1976, Entebbe raid.

This would be the first visit by an Israeli prime minister to Sub-Saharan Africa since Yitzhak Shamir visited four West African states in 1987.

This visit is personal for Netanyahu, because forty years before on June 27, 1976, Air France flight 139 bound for Paris from Tel Aviv was hijacked in Athens by Palestinian and German terrorists and diverted to Entebbe International Airport in the name of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP).

"I intend to do so around the 40th anniversary of the raid at Entebbe that was for us a very dramatic national experience. For me, obviously, one of great personal consequence,” he said on confirming his invitation by Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta who was recently in Israel.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/69056/israeli-pm-visit-africa-operation-thunderbolt-anniversary

-- eTN 2016-03-03

I expect he will be bringing his gift bag crammed with undertakings to assist with medical care, satellite technology, agricultural expertise and small arms. The predominately Christian African states have adjusted their views on Israel now that they have suffered jihadi violence and watched the enslavement and genocide of their brothers and sisters in Darfur.