Is it safe or stupid to drive a motorbike in Ramkhaemhaeng/Bang Kapi area?

nocturnalK

I'm moving to Ramkhamhaeng university area towards Ramkhamaeng Soi 1 soon. I'll be there for a couple of months.

I have two years motorbike/scooter driving experience, and I've survived driving in Burma and Saigon. Still, I wonder if it would be a bad idea to bring my motorbike to Bangkok. I've seen the traffic, and I think it's bad, but I don't know specifically about the Ramkhamhaeng/Bang Kapi area.

So my question:

Would I be better off leaving the motorbike at home?

Any specific advice about certain streets to avoid would be great as well. I know I should avoid getting on the tollways/highway.

It's not that bad. Ladprao Road can be a bit dangerous with the "keep left" law and all the buses and taxis constantly cutting into that lane, but overall it's no worse than other parts of Bangkok.

I stay regularly in a hotel just off Ram Rd, opposite the Ram university near the Big C complex. This stretch of Ram Rd is very busy and all traffic going way too fast, but with safety in mind probably OK on a m/cycle.

However in the later evening not safe. From about 9:30 pm until early hours next morning it becomes a racetrack with numerous gangs of bikes all driving way way too fast and rich boys actually racing in fast /very fast cars, and all often racing through red lights. Quite a few accidents. Police arrive regularly, the m/cycles / cars all scatter, it continues 20 minutes later until early morning, approx. 4:00 am.

It's not that bad. Ladprao Road can be a bit dangerous with the "keep left" law and all the buses and taxis constantly cutting into that lane, but overall it's no worse than other parts of Bangkok.

I ignore the keep left law as its dangerous.. but don't moan when i get fined.

Ok. I'll ignore the "left lane" law if it's bad for safety. I'm thinking 500 baht is not worth hospital and bike repair bills. I'll try to stay off the road after 9:30 PM...good tip!

I'm in Chiang Mai, and it's safe here. Just don't be a retard applies everywhere in the world.

stay alert!!!!!!!!

defensive driving is your savior!!!!!!

all i can say situational awareness!!!!!!!

i make that ride(suk. soi 71 to lad phrao- imperial world) and it can be very hectic some times, especially around rush hour.

i ride a larger bike and just piss people off as i stay in a lane and do not ride between the cars.

Is it safe to ride a motorcycle anywhere on the roads of Thailand?

Make sure you have very very Good Medical Cover and that is does cover motor bike and boat accidents, if you do !!Have all the necessary International drivers Licence too.

Is it safe to ride a motorcycle anywhere on the roads of Thailand?

Make sure you have very very Good Medical Cover and that is does cover motor bike and boat accidents, if you do !!Have all the necessary International drivers Licence too.

Good idea! Thanks for this one

Stupid.

For that matter, it's stupid to drive a motorbike ANYWHERE in Thailand, given the shocking rate of deaths among motorbike riders, caused by too many stupid people who think it ISN'T stupid to ride a motorbike in Thailand.

I would say 50/50 with driving anywhere - 50% will depend on your capabilities which I expect would be good and you will drive carefully - and 50% will depend on the drivers of the cars that could possibly not be paying attention to you and run into you... I have been driving here for 10+ year now and always feel sick when I pass an accident involving a motorcycle... people die, people are left maimed and crippled and often through no fault of their own.

If you do - I hope you stay safe... taxis in Bkk are pretty cheap.

Good luck to you.

Stupid.

For that matter, it's stupid to drive a motorbike ANYWHERE in Thailand, given the shocking rate of deaths among motorbike riders, caused by too many stupid people who think it ISN'T stupid to ride a motorbike in Thailand.

It is the state of the roads you need to worry about more than anything else.

I lived on Ramkhamhaeng for over 10 years. I drove a motorcycle around Bangkok daily. Expect the unexpected. Drive defensively. Observe and learn from the way locals ride their bikes. If you are able to learn, you will survive.

p.s. Expect to be stopped by the police regularly and you will pick up fines. It is part of riding in Bangkok.

Stupid.

I get the feeling you don't like motorbikes. I love riding on the islands and in the country. For big cities, including Saigon, Siem Riep and Bangkok, I prefer a pedal bike.

I live in the Bangkapi/Ramkhamhaeng area and have been driving a motorcycle around it and to downtown for almost ten years. I've had my own cars since I moved to BKK 20 years ago, but since getting the motorcycle my car gets very few km. Getting the motorcycle was the best move I made to help me get to point B in a reasonable amount of time..

I have fallen/been knocked off the bike 4 times.

Two times were because of a slippery road due to oil or loose gravel. Once was because of a big hole in the road. The last time it was another motorcycle driver going too fast for conditions and running into me when I was easing into traffic. Luckily only minor scrapes.

Just understand that every time you are on that bike, you are taking your life into your own hands.

I live in a Soi on Ramkhamhaeng Rd not far from the Bang Kapi Mall. I would not recommend you to ride your bike around this area no matter how good you think you might be. There are idiots all around you and death is permanent. We don't want to reading about you in these pages. Leave your bike at home and catch a bus - 8THB. Plenty of buses to get you to anywhere you want to go.

Having driven a car all over Thailand (including this route when I lived off Ramkhamhaeng Road) and observed the driving habits of the m/c fraternity, I would say this is one of the safer places in Thailand to ride a m/c. I can recall very few accidents along that stretch, unlike some other - mainly rural - areas. Just beware of the buses, which tend to race each other and career from lane 1 to lane 3 and back between every stop.n

It would be interesting to know how many people stating their opinion regarding the topic of riding a motorcycle are actually motorcycle riders. Without knowing individuals' backgrounds it seems that those with a negative view most likely do not ride so therefore have no basis for their 'stupid' opinion.

Yes, Thailand has an appallingly high number of deaths and accidents when it comes to motorcycles, but look at the 95% of people riding them. No driver's education. No understanding of rules of the road. No culture or history of driving in traffic. No deep rooted motorcycle/auto background. Nothing. Just get on and if you can start it, you can drive it.

To make a blanket statement that riding a motorcycle in Thailand is dangerous without considering anything than your own navel is ignorant.

I have had a big bike and step-through scooter and driven in Bangkok. And in the Bangkapi area. Once you are comfortable with the "informal" rules of riding here and don't do anything stupid, you will be fine.

Of course it depends on how you ride, luck, and, to some extent, what you ride. I rode for ten years in BKK, and a few more upcountry, with no accidents - fell off on my own a couple of times being fancy...

The part of your question that everybody seems to have missed is whether you should bring your motorbike to Thailand. The answer is definitely NO. Nearly impossible due to taxes, the requirements to certify emissions, etc. Sell it, bring the cash to Thailand, and buy locally...

Why you all riders lie to yourself ?

You exactly know that any rider still alive is just lucky and that one day shot will happen, so why lying ?

The difference with motorbike and car is that most of the time 1 time is enough to RIP.

So yes you can be the best driver but as you said, with people knowing nothing on the road here, sooner or later it will happen, of course not because of you, but I know many riders who did nothing wrong to die, but still...

This is why I quit, the fun is not worth the risk, and except if people are too poor to own a car I cannot understand that anyone with a brain would ride a bike in Thailand. Sorry, no offence, it's not my life, but you should care about yours more maybe...

It would be interesting to know how many people stating their opinion regarding the topic of riding a motorcycle are actually motorcycle riders. Without knowing individuals' backgrounds it seems that those with a negative view most likely do not ride so therefore have no basis for their 'stupid' opinion.

Yes, Thailand has an appallingly high number of deaths and accidents when it comes to motorcycles, but look at the 95% of people riding them. No driver's education. No understanding of rules of the road. No culture or history of driving in traffic. No deep rooted motorcycle/auto background. Nothing. Just get on and if you can start it, you can drive it.

To make a blanket statement that riding a motorcycle in Thailand is dangerous without considering anything than your own navel is ignorant.

I have had a big bike and step-through scooter and driven in Bangkok. And in the Bangkapi area. Once you are comfortable with the "informal" rules of riding here and don't do anything stupid, you will be fine.