Thailand Cow Price in 2016 - Any idea ?

Okay to be serious, I don't have a clue in Thailand, but in my previous live I was into cow prices. First one should look at the condition of the animal (weight, signs of injuries/disease etc), then the age of the animal (the older the animal the less breeding years are left, if you want to use her for breeding - no pun intended). If you want to eat her the same measures apply but for different reasons, good condition will give you more weight and a little more fat than a thin animal and a younger animal have softer meat with a little more fat than an older animal.

100,000 baht has been offered for this beauty and 3 other of similar size and colour and all offers were knocked back. Price of live weight is quite amazing (high) in Thailand compared to the live export market in Australia.

post-5046-0-27154700-1457068292_thumb.jp

100,000 baht has been offered for this beauty and 3 other of similar size and colour and all offers were knocked back. Price of live weight is quite amazing (high) in Thailand compared to the live export market in Australia.

Your right about prices compared to Oz.Last year went to buy 2 cows for 30k,bugger me,that was the price of one.A A mate bought a pregnant one today for 45k.

12 months ago it was around 112 baht a kilo for slaughter,can't find any current indicators.

100 baht in january 2016.

http://seabeefreport.com/2016/02/11/january-market-report-s-e-asia-beef-industry-2/

Hi FJ

The price at the moment is about 150 Bart/ kg ,that is for a fairly fit cow ,for a poor quality cow it has dropped to about 140 Bart kg. Thai beef pricing system is odd ,they say 150Bart/kg ,for the whole animal ,then take off 50%,as a killing out percent ,that is taking out hide, bone, head etc. parts that can not be eaten .

But there is a lot of depends ,the op has been a vague ,I take it he means beef and not dairy cattle if it is beef ,then it depends on breed ,the photos MeMock posted are of red Indo Brazil ,the Indo Breeds are very popular ,nothing to do with price of beef, it is all for breeding and red Indo Brazils are the most expensive of the them all.so high prices are for breeding value, not beef.

The 3 bulls will be about 20 months old ,about right for a stock bull. 33 000 Bart each is cheap.

Red Indo heifers will be about 30- 60 000 Bart depending if they are in calf or not, cows in calf will be about 50 000 Bart ,do not buy a Indo cow not in calf ,Indo cattle are an intensive breed ,and need feeding properly not easy to get in calf.

Red Brahman cattle are more expensive and more difficult to find, White Brahmans are cheaper and more common ,as a very high percent of all Thai beef cattle have some Indo Brazil blood in them, finding pure breeds not easy and expensive.

@ sabian 25 000 about right ,but Limousine, did not think they are any Limousine in Thailand , lots of Charolaise, and Angus cross cattle ,any chance of some photos, I am interested in some Limousine's.

Thank you for all replies, actually I am wondering how much an Esaan farmer would pay for a "basic" cow.

It seems that 25000 thb is a correct price ?

Thanks again, you are great

The problem is finding a basic Thai cow/heifer, basic would be a Thai Native ,smaller than a Indo Brazil, or a Brahman cross ,but an easy breed to manage ,being small ,not so popular ,Thai's like big cattle ,they are ok ,but at some time they will have to be handled ,for AI, injection, etc. , unless you have some proper handling equipment not easy .

One would cost about 25-30 000 bart, look for short ears ,not over big ,red is better ,easier to sell ,but more expensive to buy, white a bit cheaper ,I have a Thai native ,cow I think come from Burma, and a cross breed, , the crossbreed is a Thai native x Brahman. both not given us any problems.

If it is in calf an added bonus ,but might cost a bit more, that is if it really in calf, and not the owner just saying so to push the price up .

At Issan market places i could never work out the price system.

If you wanted to buy a grazing cow it was still breeding price.

And be careful buying a cow with calf as many are sold only to find out the calf doesn;t belong to the cow and she's infertile.

Dodgey places.just sayin.

If you want breeders there are plenty of locals who have with good reputations,go and see direct.

As far as selling for a profit i have no idea.

At Issan market places i could never work out the price system.

If you wanted to buy a grazing cow it was still breeding price.

And be careful buying a cow with calf as many are sold only to find out the calf doesn;t belong to the cow and she's infertile.

Dodgey places.just sayin.

If you want breeders there are plenty of locals who have with good reputations,go and see direct.

As far as selling for a profit i have no idea.

Hi FJ

I have said before Thai cattle markets are not for the unwary ,and if you do not speak Thai very easy to get ripped off , most Thai markets are selling cattle for breeding ,or for investment ,a Thai will buy a 18 month old heifer keep it then sell it after a year or so ,hopefully in calf ,and try and make some thing on the deal ,or dealer to dealer sales ,each dealer trying to make something on the deal.

I know a few cattle dealers in our area ,and if a an animal goes for beef ,it is brought from the farm ,he might keep it a while ,a few weeks then he will take the animal and sell to the slaughter house himself, cull dairy cattle are loaded on to a truck and taken and sold straight away to the slaughter house.

You could find a calf not belonging to a cow, but it is easy to tell, beef cows are very possessive over they calves, and will soon push away a calf that is noting to do with them .

The main reason a beef cow is infertile is that she does not get any supplementary feed ,just grass, if they is any ,and rice straw ,a lot has been wrote on other treads on TV lately about Thai soils being short of minerals low ph. etc., it effects cattle to ,if grass feed has no minerals due to poor infertile land ,cattle will be short of minerals to ,a big cause of infertility in cattle .

And now with a lot of Indo Brazil in the breeding the problem has got worse ,the Indo breed is an intensive breed ,needs supplementary feeding, which it dose not get, hence all the thin cattle you see.

Finding a good breeder is not always easy ,can look in Thai farming mags , for some reason you are lucky ,most good Thai cattle breeders are in Issan, and then you have SK farm Pattaya Ranch ,near Pattaya one of the best beef breeding farms in Thailand ,especially for red Brahman cattle , but buy anything from them will not be cheap ,you will need a large wallet ,same with a lot of other breeders.

As for making a profit the only advice I can give is to grow as much forage as you can and buy in as little as you can .our local dealers are liking Charolaise cattle, one likes our Angus cross cattle ,ask and find what your local market likes.

But as we have found out a few times ,cattle breeding is a slow job and the Thai market is a volatile one ,we use to rear dairy heifers ,buy in young heifers feed them up ,get them in calf and sell them ,on paper it's works ok ,my budget did ,but in reality ,the market said other wise ,on more than one occasion we did not make a lot market dropped , and take labour in to account .not a lot of profit.

Now we have changed to beef cattle, and growing more of our own forage ,we are making some money.

Just took these photos, Prasat. These are owned by the owner of a major rice mill on the 214 highway just north of Prasat. The white cows are valued at 100,000 baht each and are all females and are pregnant. If its a girl he keeps if its a boy he sells for 40,000 baht. He has about 70 in the heard. The brown cows are Braham's. He has a new Braham arriving from the US next month cost 400,000 baht.

12814359_971741116206767_49723673712645112803215_971741126206766_83342221761862212814128_971741169540095_82827905295977412799453_971741189540093_668509892879768

Hi Khwaibah

They are good photos ,thank you ,and looking at the stock and breeding, he is a guy who has interest in his cattle , and is very intrested in breeding those white Brahman are worth there money, although the ears are a bit short .

Nearly all the Thai big Brahman breeders , get there stock from the USA a guy near me has brought some Brahman cows from the USA ,most breeding now is done though AI with the best semen coming from the USA , good USA semen will be about 6-700 baht/ straw ,in Thailand SK Farm Pattaya sell there own collected semen ,at 3- 500 baht/straw , one of there best bulls a red Brahman known as SK 245, produces some very nice calves , even on an average Thai beef cow you can see the breeding in the calves .

That last photo ,the short white bull ,just left of centre ,is a Charolaise x Brahman , a breed that is becoming popular in Thailand ,same breed that the Thai /French beef company in Sakonankon use .

• 1 month later...

The Charolaise meat is the same ,but it is storing of the meat is not the same ,in Farang land most meat is hung in a walk in fridge type of thing ,for up to 14-20 days ,here in Thailand ,I would say only the Thai French company in Isan would hang the meat for any length of time ,they use a Charolaise cross breeds , same as the other beef company in Supanburi .,if it is a local breed more than likely it will be grazing in the morning and on a market stall the following morning

You are right they do mix breeds here ,the reason is a 100% Charolaise will not do in the heat of Thailand ,will suffer from heat stress, also the breed will have less resistance to ticks ,which will cause Anaplasmosis and Babesiosis , both tice born diseases , and very often fatal to cattle .

So, most are crossed with Brahman ,the best is 60% Charolaise and 40% Brahman like the Kampang Phet and Tark breeds ,gives you an breed that can tolerate the heat and has a lot more resistance to tick born disease .

Also they can still grow on the diet they receive which will be short of energy ,and poor fibre/roughage, which is very often just low quality rice straw ,as the 100% Charolaise will not grow on a poor low energy diet.

I've got 4 cows and they cost me 25000 each, young heifers. 2 Asian cross cows and 2 Limousin cows.

I would say you did well on those.

If you have a decent bull or artificially inseminate to a good line, the Limousins will get you some good calves.

Hi Khwaibah

They are good photos ,thank you ,and looking at the stock and breeding, he is a guy who has interest in his cattle , and is very intrested in breeding those white Brahman are worth there money, although the ears are a bit short .

Nearly all the Thai big Brahman breeders , get there stock from the USA a guy near me has brought some Brahman cows from the USA ,most breeding now is done though AI with the best semen coming from the USA , good USA semen will be about 6-700 baht/ straw ,in Thailand SK Farm Pattaya sell there own collected semen ,at 3- 500 baht/straw , one of there best bulls a red Brahman known as SK 245, produces some very nice calves , even on an average Thai beef cow you can see the breeding in the calves .

That last photo ,the short white bull ,just left of centre ,is a Charolaise x Brahman , a breed that is becoming popular in Thailand ,same breed that the Thai /French beef company in Sakonankon use .

Charolais cross well with other breeds...pure Charolais can be a bit temperamental and hard to keep around.

Hi,

Where to find the Thai french company to buy meat ? And is there any other company selling acceptable meat in this country ?

The only good one I found is imported.

Thank you.

The Charolaise meat is the same ,but it is storing of the meat is not the same ,in Farang land most meat is hung in a walk in fridge type of thing ,for up to 14-20 days ,here in Thailand ,I would say only the Thai French company in Isan would hang the meat for any length of time ,they use a Charolaise cross breeds , same as the other beef company in Supanburi .,if it is a local breed more than likely it will be grazing in the morning and on a market stall the following morning

You are right they do mix breeds here ,the reason is a 100% Charolaise will not do in the heat of Thailand ,will suffer from heat stress, also the breed will have less resistance to ticks ,which will cause Anaplasmosis and Babesiosis , both tice born diseases , and very often fatal to cattle .

So, most are crossed with Brahman ,the best is 60% Charolaise and 40% Brahman like the Kampang Phet and Tark breeds ,gives you an breed that can tolerate the heat and has a lot more resistance to tick born disease .

Also they can still grow on the diet they receive which will be short of energy ,and poor fibre/roughage, which is very often just low quality rice straw ,as the 100% Charolaise will not grow on a poor low energy diet.

@ sabian

Any photos of the Limousin ,something I have never seen in LOS ,guy near me has some limited supply of Blond Aqatain semen , a Blond on a Brahman would make an interesting breed ,not unlike a Charolais x Brahman.

@ buythisdashcam.

I have just been looking through my past posts , and could not find the link, it was in a post about beef .some 18 months ago a TV member found a shop selling beef at Rangsit ,north of bbk , they are a Thai beef co-op selling Charolais x Brahman beef based I think in Tark province ,and the report he wrote said they where doing all right selling good quality beef.

So if you have some time ,see if you can find it.

PS. I do not know where you are in LOS ,I suppose if you are in the top end of Isan , this will be a bit out of your way .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Where to find the Thai french company to buy meat ? And is there any other company selling acceptable meat in this country ?

The only good one I found is imported.

Thank you.

Thai French Meat Company is on the south side of highway 22 between Sakon Nakhon and Tat Phanom in Sakon Nakhon Province, just before you get to Nakhon Phanom Province. Another company that patterns its self after Thai French, and has the same quality beef, if not better, is Nong Sung Meats in Mukdahan Province, it is on Highway 12 on the south side of the road just across from a Green Leaf Petrol Station. It is about 3 kilometers east of the police box on Highway 12 in Nong Sung.

I have a 13 month bull calf, born and raised on my property. Just recently, within the last two weeks I have had offers from Thai people which varies between 18,000 and 24,000 baht.

I have a 13 month bull calf, born and raised on my property. Just recently, within the last two weeks I have had offers from Thai people which varies between 18,000 and 24,000 baht.