Two die, 40 injured in bus crash on Phuphan mountain road

webfact

Two died, 40 injured in bus crash on Phuphan mountain road

BANGKOK: -- Two people were killed and over 40 injured when a chartered bus taking students and teachers on a study trip from Buriram to Sakhon Nakhon early on Friday crashed into the side of a hilly road in Phuphan mountain range.

The incident happened at about 3.30 am when the bus with about 50 students and teachers of Dong Mafai Witthaya school in Sakon Nakhon province was heading back to Sakhon Nakhon from Buri Ram.

As the bus was running downhill, its brake failed.

It crashed on the side of a curve and overturned.

One student and a teacher were killed, and all on board were injured.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/153644

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-04

We all know than in Thailand it's ALWAYS " brakes failed "

It's never driver failed angry.gifangry.gif

I know very well the road there; it's not really dangerous ;

I pass there many times with my MTBike and it's very difficult to go faster than 45/50 km/h ; there is nearly no % , declivity ;

when climbing on the other side, coming from Sakon Nakhon, we often do it between 25/30 km/h with our MTBikes and people with road bikes go faster .

Most likely caused by freewheeling down hill,going too fast could not

get it back into gear again,panics tries to brake, brakes too hot,,,result.

These bus drivers need to learn you use the gears to slow you down

when going down a hill.

regards Worgeordie

when going down a hill.

regards Worgeordie

I use to own a 40 foot diesel pusher RV. When going downhill, you really had to pay attention. Get the air brakes going early, slow your speed, and don't rush. Super easy to get out of control going downhill.

when going down a hill.

regards Worgeordie

From what i read. you are totally correct.

The time of the year when bus loads of student travel to 'English Camps'. Risking unnecessarily the lives of thousands of students in Thailand's lethal traffic. Forget the camping, and there is precious little English, but as these are profit making trips, the teachers market them vigorously, hands outstretched for a nice end of year bonus, thank you very much!

Mr worgeordie and sandgroper2 "it's always the same" so it's easy to put this one under the same "conclusion". 2 people died and others got injured. But the situation was not as you described it. This driver is a very serious guy and won't put other people's life in danger. I understand your response but not every case is the same. This case could have been even worse because close to the crash the hill is more deep and if he had crashed into this more people would have been killed.

The driver didn't run off, he waited at the crash scene until late in the morning (around 9 o'clock) for the police to arrive to question him. His wife was already in Kalasin hospital with as far as we know a broken leg and arm, but nothing serious. His wife happens to be my sister-in-law and I can tell you he is a really serious driver.

Other small detail that's wrong in the article. They were heading Buri Ram, they left Thursday late in the afternoon.

lhvdberg, it's gratifying to know that the driver is a serious guy who perhaps tries to be a safe driver. Unfortunately, he was obviously still driving irresponsibly - it's his responsibility to check the brakes EVERY TIME he starts out on a trip (and always at the start of a long downwards incline: it's just a matter of pumping the brakes a few time to see if they're still working!) and to regularly check things like brake fluid and oil levels. Whenever going down a steep hill (especially with twisty turns), the gear should never be higher than 2, using the engine compression as a natural breaking effect to keep the speed of the vehicle under control. If he is genuinely a serious driver then he will find out more about how to drive safely and even attend a safety driving course. If his company (or school) won't pay for it then he should do so himself.

There's obviously no requirement in Thailand. In other countries you need special training to get a driving license if the passengers are members of the public (or if you drive a vehicle that can seat more than 7 people I think). But a serious and professional driver will get the proper training anyway, even if it isn't legally required. I did it. I'm not a professional driver, but I learnt things about how to drive safely that I would never have learnt by myself as an experienced driver.

There has to be a huge opportunity for a bus/truck brake service here in Thailand.

"Farang Break Service" or "Western Standard Break Service" for that matter electrical

wiring of houses and businesses as well. whistling.gif

Mr rapidmethod. irresponsibly driving and saying that he is responsible for the bus are two different things. Yes the driver is always responsible for the bus and safety of the passengers. But your conclusion that he is responsible for the brake failure doesn't make sense the way you write it. Do you really think that a driver will stop at every corner before going up hill? Brake failure can easily happen at the worst moment. And it was the worst moment. He has over 12 years of bus driving experience and has his driving licence. And that doesn't say much in Thailand where you get a car licence almost for free. But I as a foreigner who is daily on the road in Thailand, I can tell that he would pass the test in Holland.

Brake failure is the cause, 2 deaths is the conclusion and that's sad, very sad. But in this case I have to say that it's too easy to point fingers.

I was waiting already one day for fatal accidents. Only two dead, another thread eight, total 10. Good quote for today.......

When will this be stopped? What kind of ruler is this PM not using his means for new law/enforcements?

In most developed countries there are brake check areas on the summit of mountain roads. Many times there are runaway lanes, some filled with loose gravel, to stop runaway vehicles. How many brake check areas, or even a pull off where you can check the mechanical condition of your vehicle are there on winding mountainous Thai roads.

Mr rapidmethod. irresponsibly driving and saying that he is responsible for the bus are two different things. Yes the driver is always responsible for the bus and safety of the passengers. But your conclusion that he is responsible for the brake failure doesn't make sense the way you write it. Do you really think that a driver will stop at every corner before going up hill? Brake failure can easily happen at the worst moment. And it was the worst moment. He has over 12 years of bus driving experience and has his driving licence. And that doesn't say much in Thailand where you get a car licence almost for free. But I as a foreigner who is daily on the road in Thailand, I can tell that he would pass the test in Holland.

Brake failure is the cause, 2 deaths is the conclusion and that's sad, very sad. But in this case I have to say that it's too easy to point fingers.

Oh no ! You are wrong because you don't know how brakes works on a bus or a truck ;

It's an air circuit sometimes with an hydraulic assitance and when there is a failure in the air circuit, the brakes stop immediatly the vehicle;

But the problems are somewhere else;

here in Thailand they have coaches and buses from the middle age ;

No electric relay or overdrive ;

no second or third brake circuit like we had 50 years ago in Europe, especially in France with Telma and in Spain with Ilasa ;

and the most important no schools for learning how to drive a bus or a truck ;

another thing I have never seen working on a bus or a truck : the tachograph

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachograph

And the last thing no road police in Thailand ...

I have learnt when I was a coach driver from 1971 to 1983 all over Europe, even behind the iron curtain , a long time ago, !

I have learnt and I did always like that:

never downhill at a speed more important than you can climb it ..

And never my brakes failed .

Sorry mr assurancetourix. But now you jump to the conclusion that I don't know how the brakes work. That was not part of what I wrote. All I said that the brake stopped functioning at the wrong moment. And in theory as we westerners know how it should work, the bus should have stopped ( thats what I get from your message). But it didn't; conclusion again brake failure (and probably some more failure) with 2 deaths as a result.

I saw also a post from someone who claimed it were 8 already, but was Nong Khai 2 pickup trucks crashed into each other..... Sad news for this Friday....

Sorry for this discussion I was only trying to say that we should not jump into conclusions without knowing all the facts. Even I don't know them yet, ..... I like to end with RIP and that the family of the victims find strength to go on in the future.

Edited by lhvdberg

Was this one of the thousands of double deckers that are supposed to be put off the road? I do remember a decree some weeks ago, from the highest authority, that all double deckers had to go.

Mr worgeordie and sandgroper2 "it's always the same" so it's easy to put this one under the same "conclusion". 2 people died and others got injured. But the situation was not as you described it. This driver is a very serious guy and won't put other people's life in danger. I understand your response but not every case is the same. This case could have been even worse because close to the crash the hill is more deep and if he had crashed into this more people would have been killed.

The driver didn't run off, he waited at the crash scene until late in the morning (around 9 o'clock) for the police to arrive to question him. His wife was already in Kalasin hospital with as far as we know a broken leg and arm, but nothing serious. His wife happens to be my sister-in-law and I can tell you he is a really serious driver.

Other small detail that's wrong in the article. They were heading Buri Ram, they left Thursday late in the afternoon.

Thing is the sad thing is you are all right.

The majority of accidents in Thailand, like in the rest of the world, are normal everyday people doing normal everyday things.

The issue that you can attribute directly to LoS is the total lack of proper, vehicle specific, driver training.

Without proper individual 'on the road' one2one driving assessments to make sure they can deal with a variety of different situations.

Also a few hours of supported practice with a trained Instructor to make sure they has the basic skills to do the job.

But thats a while off yet.

Currently they are still misleading people even about such basics as road signs.

12821579_986947241391482_117423094606952

So start at the top line. Is that 'change to the left lane' or 'NO change to the left lane'?

That's straight 'from the horses mouth' - Provincial Land Transport Office Page on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/songkhladlt

There is a long way to go!

If this keeps going they wont be able to build the busses fast enough to replace them.

R.I.P.

Well that could be a bonus , it will reduce the number of downhill bus brake failures.

There has to be a huge opportunity for a bus/truck brake service here in Thailand.

"Farang Break Service" or "Western Standard Break Service" for that matter electrical

wiring of houses and businesses as well. whistling.gif

And what breakages would that be fixing, is that broken brakes?

this was at the end of this Thai PBS bus crash story:

Tags: brake, Chartered bus, crash, curve, General, overturned, students and teachers, study trip.

I think they forgot a few tags:

Stupid, sad, easily preventable, needlessly tragic, predictable, lack of training, lack of common sense, corruption, no maintenance, no law enforcement.

did i miss any?

RIP.

Edited by NCC1701A

Most of you do not watch Thai TV, but your partners do, so ask them about this.

A while ago there was an undercover group who filmed exactly what these bus drivers do. They caught them red handed, on video, selling the gas from the bus. They drivera they confronted said they make up for the lost gas by the downhill part of the mountain, using the engine less and the brakes more. THAT is why the breaks always fail, because many of them don't downshift and also use the engine, they brake it all the way, until they fail.

This is all documented on video and shown on Thai TV a few years ago. Yet, over and over and over again, here we are, because there is a few hundred baht to be made.

Your comprehension skills are totally lacking. Come in spinner.

this was at the end of this Thai PBS bus crash story:

Tags: brake, Chartered bus, crash, curve, General, overturned, students and teachers, study trip.

I think they forgot a few tags:

Stupid, sad, easily preventable, needlessly tragic, predictable, lack of training, lack of common sense, corruption, no maintenance, no law enforcement.

did i miss any?

RIP.

yes, you missed "brain in neutral"