What would you like in Chiang Mai, Thailand ?

TONGFANGKIM

hi everyone wink.png i'm interior architecture student.i need your help.
Now i'm doing my project design(study work) about traveler who has been in ChiangMai,Thailand or who need to have a house in there.
I have a question to ask you. "What would you like in ChiangMai" that's really important information for my design . PLEASE <3 smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png
- sorry about my English redface.png

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I congratulate you for asking people for their ideas, it isn't as common as it should be. Not sure if this applies to specific field of study but I would like to see a series of park and ride facilities to the north, south and east. I would love to leave my pickup truck near my home and ride into the city.

It might help if you explained what ideas you're looking for. Given you're an interior architect and mentioned something about houses, are you asking what designs or features westerners (or others?) would like to see inside the housing here? Or are you asking about citywide concepts (like transportation, sidewalks, etc.)?

It might help if you explained what ideas you're looking for. Given you're an interior architect and mentioned something about houses, are you asking what designs or features westerners (or others?) would like to see inside the housing here? Or are you asking about citywide concepts (like transportation, sidewalks, etc.)?

thank you

i want to know the reason why you live in chiangmai? what you like? nature? culture? people? a simple life? food? or anything

these information are bring me to thinking about concept to design inside a house.

example : somone like neture i maybe design a garden in house

i don't know what westerners live in chiangmai are interested in?

do you under stand my english? wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

I congratulate you for asking people for their ideas, it isn't as common as it should be. Not sure if this applies to specific field of study but I would like to see a series of park and ride facilities to the north, south and east. I would love to leave my pickup truck near my home and ride into the city.

thank you wai.gifbiggrin.png

A decent immigration department where Farlangs are not treated like cattle. Price concessions for retirees. Protection and rights under the laws for Farlangs that buy homes because at present building designs are the last of our problems. What`s the point of designing a home we can`t own? Stop closing down the places where expats can meet, bars, groups and clubs.

This is not off topic, I am answering your question, what would I like to see happen in Chiang Mai.

A city planning department would be a nice start. Put an end to people building whatever they like, wherever they like. And while they're at it, time for greenbelt zoning around the city before the whole valley is concreted over. If development continues as it has, there'll be very little reason to visit Chiang Mai.

Edited by MESmith

There is a slight misunderstanding here of what the Lady wants owing to her interpretation of the English language. However; her second post more clearly identifies her quest for information, which asks us why we wanted to come and live here and what we like about Chiang Mai.

She doesn't really want to know about our grievance's concerning the Immigration fiasco or problems with (non) integrated transport.

My suggestion for internal decoration would be Murals of Thai countryside scenes including waterfalls etc tastefully painted on some interior walls. Careful thought about size and placing of such pictures would be needed of course.

There is a slight misunderstanding here of what the Lady wants owing to her interpretation of the English language. However; her second post more clearly identifies her quest for information, which asks us why we wanted to come and live here and what we like about Chiang Mai.

She doesn't really want to know about our grievance's concerning the Immigration fiasco or problems with (non) integrated transport.

My suggestion for internal decoration would be Murals of Thai countryside scenes including waterfalls etc tastefully painted on some interior walls. Careful thought about size and placing of such pictures would be needed of course.

I can DIY that wink.png

I think many farang want a house design that gives a feeling of privacy and very important quiet, so sound proofing and sound masking features, as well as good climate control and air purification for interiors... but maintaining a tropical ambiance. We also like outdoor kitchens for socialzing and barbque cooking....

thank you for your comments ,
some i understand and some i don't . i think i wouldn't to explain clearly and my English is bad , so sorry .
i'm studying in 2nd years in the university . every students in class has a new project that is a home work but it have long time to do it (2 months for this. that raeson why we call it's project , but it doesn't make in real life it's just long home work) we can design inside in this house for Thai people , Chinese people or Westerner up to us. but from my design i choose the westerner. Because you are different from us(asian people) that's why i need to know your opinions.
i don't know about you because our environment , food, life, think are different. i think it's a good designer would to do. it's better than ask to thai people what the westerner want?
i'm very very sorry about my english again if it's make you misunderstand but i'm really tried to . wai.gif

Edited by TONGFANGKIM

some i understand and some i don't . i think i wouldn't to explain clearly and my English is bad , so sorry .

i'm studying in 2nd years in the university . every students in class has a new project that is a home work but it have long time to do it (2 months for this. that raeson why we call it's project , but it doesn't make in real life it's just long home work) we can design inside in this house for Thai people , Chinese people or Westerner up to us. but from my design i choose the westerner. Because you are different from us(asian people) that's why i need to know your opinions.

i don't know about you because our environment , food, life, think are different. i think it's a good designer would to do. it's better than ask to thai people what the westerner want?

i'm very very sorry about my english again if it's make you misunderstand but i'm really tried to . wai.gif

If you are making a survey of the westerners ideal design for a home, that’s not as straightforward as Thai people may think. To give you some ideas, an English home is different from a Dutch home, an American style home is different from Swedish style home, a German home will look different from a home in Spain. Westerners will have different preferences to home designs depending on their nationalities and which countries they come from. It’s like the differences between Japanese, Korean and Chinese homes, they can’t all be lumped together and Thais do have a habit of lumping us all together. We come from the west, end of story, but it isn’t. To make your survey a good representation of western home design it’s a good idea to ask the nationalities of the westerners giving their opinions, because where they come from will influence their opinions.

We was a poor working class family and were brought up in terrace houses both in London and in the north of England. They were like living in boxes with neighbours on the other side of each wall. The walls so thin that it was possible to hear the neighbours peeing when they used their toilets or even snoring loudly in their beds. When I came to Thailand decided I never want to live like that again and opted for loads of space without having to live in too close proximity with other people. I prefer large rooms with plenty of ventilation with large windows for sunlight to brighten up the rooms. Love space and don’t clutter up the home with loads of furniture. Enjoy a large garden area with plants and trees. I would never want to live in a moo baan or a condo, too confirmed for my tastes.

This is a picture of what would be my ideal home design. It’s more based on English style and feel because I come from England. An American`s idea of a dream home may be completely different. If I could buy my own home in Thailand this is the design I would aim for with slight alterations and some more Thai features added.

post-246045-0-16266400-1457193309_thumb.

I would like a rammed earth home. Sometimes called a tyre home or earthship. Really thick walls, no right angles, gentle curves. Give it a google image search if you don't know what i am talking about. The interior would be natural colors and easy on the eye with all the curves and rounded edges.

Edited by CNXBKKMAN

I like open air style homes with a modern look, similar to this design. Keep in mind that every foreigner has a different idea of how a home should look like and function, just like every Thai person has their own ideas of what a home should look like.

post-89579-0-70697100-1457199553_thumb.j

Best of luck with your project! wai2.gif

Wrong you can buy a house in Chiang Mai. You can not buy the property.

How ever you can get a 30 year lease on it.

What advantage do the Chinese have that we don't have?

If I had to have a house daoyai Pretty well cover every thing for me with this

I think many farang want a house design that gives a feeling of privacy and very important quiet, so sound proofing and sound masking features, as well as good climate control and air purification for interiors... but maintaining a tropical ambiance. We also like outdoor kitchens for socialzing and barbque cooking....
Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

I would be interested to know what the large differences are.. I think modern young Thais seem to want the same or at least similar levels of quality of design. Differences that would be easier to point to (Thais like outside kitchens, etc) may be less of a difference when you factor in westeners like an outside BBQ, and social space, which is very similar just considered differently.

Common, yet simple to fix, mistakes I see with many locally designed new homes.

• Lack of storage spaces inside the house. Ample storage for bedding, linens, kitchen, cleaning and domestic products. Over and above the usual 'clothes cupboards'.
  • Restricted parking spaces. The ohh so common 1 and a half cars carport, I realize land costs money but that extra meter in a carport to make it properly useable is vital.
  • Windows (large ones) exposed to the sunny side of a property. Massive heat generators inside the home. Shade or screen them.
  • Lack of thought in required space (hidden spot for garbage bins, an external utility room for washing machine, tool storage, etc)

Something which does seem to be a east / west difference is the attitude to gardens and outdoor space. Of course there is always exceptions, and Thais who may love to garden and have spaces outside but on average It seems to me that more Thais like a firm divide between inside (maybe fully AC and sealed) and outside which is far less cared about, even just concreted over, or simply laid to a bare minimum of lawn. I think westeners like to have private, not overlooked, external places to sit and relax / socialize. I know I personally like to have the boundary from inside to outside 'soft' with porches and outdoor sitting areas providing a social space / relaxing space as well as shade to the internal windows. Also to have larger sliding doors opening the interior to the covered 'exterior' giving a feeling of letting the outside in.

That leads to security. For me the the security is the perimeter of the property, the gates and walls / hedging. Not the security being the just house itself. Inside my property line I want to feel unobserved and relaxed. High walls make for good neighbours.

Swimming pools and water. I know this is perhaps a luxury item but I wouldnt want to live in this climate and not have a pool to enjoy. I think Thais dont value pools and the sun / skin issues that come with that. I do see wealthy Thai homes often having fish ponds and water features.

General 'appearance' of the property.. I would like a unobtrusive, single level home, hidden behind walls or screening hedging / bamboo.. I also like to have the social space 'hidden' behind the home.. Giving total privacy.. I think wealthy asians perhaps like the 'grand home' with the large entrance door, positioned at the back of the plot giving the appearance of more land and a big driveway, but 2m behind the house to the rear perimeter. I see many homes designed very 'narrow' presenting a large face to the home, but no depth of space.

So typing that I think there maybe are more real differences than I first started out with. wink.png Its a little hard, as a westener, to seperate out the things which are my personal choices, for me as an individual, than are real east / west themes which apply to others.

One I think is personal to me is I dont like homes to be too sterile, too modern, which seems very much the norm with new build Thai homes. I recently moved into a new home where everything is far too shiny and new, white floor tiles which are dirty every day, lighting too fluorescent, etc.. It just doesnt feel comfortable to me.. I personally far prefer interior design with 'texture'.. Polished cement or (real or fake) stone tiles, natural woods or bamboos, soft (adobe) render, exposed brick, edison bulbs, etc etc.. I do see this design style being used a lot in modern asian design too, designer cafes and retail stores, etc. So not as much an east / west as perhaps changing tastes.

I have typed much more than I intended, I hope the above is clear enough to translate.

Edited by LivinLOS

When I came to Thailand decided I never want to live like that again and opted for loads of space without having to live in too close proximity with other people. I prefer large rooms with plenty of ventilation with large windows for sunlight to brighten up the rooms. Love space and don’t clutter up the home with loads of furniture. Enjoy a large garden area with plants and trees. I would never want to live in a moo baan or a condo, too confirmed for my tastes.

I would like a rammed earth home. Sometimes called a tyre home or earthship. Really thick walls, no right angles, gentle curves. Give it a google image search if you don't know what i am talking about. The interior would be natural colors and easy on the eye with all the curves and rounded edges.

Maybe we are more similar than I assumed.. As those 2 responses sound very close to my own tastes.
Not sure I would go as far as the 'earthship' type homes but the natural materials and texture is right on point for my taste.

What do I like in Chiang Mai:

Waterfalls. Mountains and nature. Old wooden architecture in temples or otherwise. Bars. The people.

(Doesn't mean I want all those things in my house though. ;) But from that maybe you get some inspiration..)

But yes.. an inner courtyard with some greenery, a waterfall fountain and a wooden sala with liquor cabinet does sound interesting..

I think Westerners tend to value 'open plan living'. The kitchen being an integral part of the house, not tucked away in a cupboard or even outside.

If you want to design an interior for specifically a Westerner then I would propose an open kitchen with a large stone/granite bar top and high bar stools around it. 'We' like to cook and entertain at the same time.

Also, 'we' like large sliding windows that open up the interior of the house to the garden. Sort of a seamless transfer from outside to in.

We're also not afraid of the sun. We'd probably prefer a garden that can actually be used.

At the same time 'we' value good workmanship and quality materials. We'd rather have a sober design but made to last than a wow-factor that falls apart after months.

Take for instance the new Akyra Manor hotel in Nimman. Absolutely exquisite design but falling apart after only months in business.

Wrong you can buy a house in Chiang Mai. You can not buy the property.

How ever you can get a 30 year lease on it.

What advantage do the Chinese have that we don't have?

If I had to have a house

1. How you can house with out land? House fly?

2. Leashold its not own. Its RENT just more hight price.

3. Some Chines diferent mind. In china cant buy land only rent.

You ovn your gouse its mean you can sell you can give any as gift.

Llishold its different.

So. No see reason lishold. Just rent its find.

Can go illegal way and buy house as open company. But its pay more than rent. And its illegal(ofcouse if you find thai sharholdes who have money for buying this is land and house befor you give money its can be ligal, but where you find this people?)

If it illegally ao can any time following the law may take.

So do not see reason for personal use open company and buy house.

Only for real bussines its have reason(buy or lishold).

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

For OP

If its about city design.

1.Remove a lot of wires, it is ugly. 2.Not paint at home in the poisonous green(or another) .Can its be more natural?

3.expand lane roads.

4.need cycling lane.

About interior design.

Western people ALL different. Some like open kitchen, some must be kitchen separate and big.

baroque, country, loft, high-tech, classicism, Japanese, Egyptian, minimalism etc... all this can be for western people and all different styles. And they can be mixed in the interior design. So its be individually.

Just make YOUR sense of style in your project and explane first for your self, WHY its must be, reason you make it.

Water slides

attachicon.gifqld179.jpg

I have been told they are coming soon...In Thai time i guess....

Her question was "why are we here" your answer is water slides coming someday ????

You should read her post. I will repost it here for you.

Posted Yesterday, 13:38

hi everyone wink.png i'm interior architecture student.i need your help.

Now i'm doing my project design(study work) about traveler who has been in ChiangMai,Thailand or who need to have a house in there.

I have a question to ask you. "What would you like in ChiangMai" that's really important information for my design . PLEASE <3 smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

- sorry about my English redface.png

I agree water slides would be nice. I know one person who had the means to do it and was seriously considering it a few years ago. They have dropped the idea.

Water slides

attachicon.gifqld179.jpg

I have been told they are coming soon...In Thai time i guess....

Her question was "why are we here" your answer is water slides coming someday ????

No sorry. The tile of the post is "What would you like in Chiang Mai"? I answered water slides. Thats it.

To answer the young lady's question:

1. Safety:
  2. 3 phase electricity, special breakers for wet areas (not sure how they are called), hand rails on balconies and terraces that are high enough not to fall over and designed so that a child's head can't get stuck inside
  3. 2. Practical: enough electricity outlets (where they are needed, not just remotely placed), more storage space inside the house and outside (as already mentioned), if designing small bathrooms

1. Don't put washing machine in kitchen - kitchen is for food. Put in a laundry room.

2. No posts, why do so many thai houses have interior posts?

3. Put a large screen tv where you can watch it, not across the room. Design a living room where you can both entertain guests and watch tv.

4. Kitchens are very important to most farangs. If it doesn't have an oven, its not a proper kitchen. If its outside, its not a proper kitchen. If the party can't move into the kitchen - its not big enough.

5. Closets should be built in. Don't design a square room and then fill it with store-bought closets.

6. Bathrooms should have urinals.

It's nice to see a non-native English speaker using ThaiVisa to try to get information.

To answer via posting self-serving, unclear and incorrect English (regional slang poorly written and punctuated) serves no purpose, it is unhelpful and makes the poster look like a selfish boor.

Edited by Trujillo