When your applications are intentionally delayed

If unreasonable additional requirements are imposed for an application for extension of stay you can ask to speak to the chief of the Immigration office. If this does not help, call the immigration helpline 1178.

• Like 1

Do you really think that Immigration Officers really go out of their to be obstructive and unfriendly?

I have never met anything else other than helpful friendly people trying to do their job in a professional manner.

They have to sit there all day dealing with total idiots (not saying that includes you).

Many a time I have been sat there doing my extension while witnessing the officer on the next counter trying to explain to some abusive farang why he does not qualify for something and how to go about it.

They show more patience than I would in the same situation.

Well that's a bit like you being skeptical at others having a health problem just cos you never had it. Just because you never had a problem at immigration does not mean others have not met with obstructive, unfriendly officers, and corrupt ones of course.

My first extension experience 10 years ago was appalling but no point complaining about it. The woman officer was obviously looking for a bribe and even though everything was in order eventually out of frustration just refused to process it and then told me to go to another office as they did not really do them there. I was not abusive and calm and collected throughout.This was all untrue they did of course do extensions and it was the correct office for my area. The woman either retired shortly after or was moved and I found out from here she was a falang hater, not really in the right job! She even told my mrs she did not understand how she could live with somebody too stupid to understand the immigration rules. It was obvious from what she said earlier and the way she behaved that she was fishing for a bribe then threw the shutters down when one was not offered.

Edited by jacky54
  • Like 1

its funny how my friend asks the office worker to help him get the documents ready for his visa because he did not want to use an agent, even Thais complain about visa application process in Thailand. It is very unclear online and even when you call to ask whats needed. Needless to say, for most people's first time applying it always takes 2-3 trips to the immigration to get all the documents required correct - even with a Thai helping.

The trick to avoid a nasty immigration offier is to buy thai snacks for them a simple 40-50 baht snack will be like day and night in terms of treatment.

Do you really think that Immigration Officers really go out of their to be obstructive and unfriendly?

I have never met anything else other than helpful friendly people trying to do their job in a professional manner.

They have to sit there all day dealing with total idiots (not saying that includes you).

Many a time I have been sat there doing my extension while witnessing the officer on the next counter trying to explain to some abusive farang why he does not qualify for something and how to go about it.

Mae Sot immigration office, Tak province are trying to make life hard for westerners.

They refused to extend my tourist visa (between work) last year with the only reason being that my address in the system was not listed in Tak (or Sukhothai) as I was on my way to a funeral for a former student and was passing Mae Sot.

One German friend lost his non-O (marriage) visa/extension of stay after 8 years because the immigration officers demanded more and more documents to accept his application for extension last year (it's a day tripp for him to go there so after the 3rd visit and reaching the final week of his extension he was just <deleted>) .

Another friend (Norwegian) was denied re-entry permit there (non-O and he has been here for over 10 years) and they told him that he should get the re-entry permit at the airport when leaving.

Yet another friend (this time Cameroonian) extended his non-B visa/extension without even having a WP...

On the other hand I have nothing but good experiences from immigration in: Phitsanulok, Nakorn Sawan, Kong Kaen, Mukdahan, Korat and I have to say the border crossing Mae Sot-Mayawaddy (they are like night and day compared to the officers handling extensions). Chang Wattana is 50/50 good and bad experiences.

• Like 1

The trick to avoid a nasty immigration offier is to buy thai snacks for them a simple 40-50 baht snack will be like day and night in terms of treatment.

Don't see why people should have to bribe them like children, they are government employees and if they treat you differently over a 50 baht snack they should not be doing the job.

Don't see why people should have to bribe them like children, they are government employees and if they treat you differently over a 50 baht snack they should not be doing the job.

agree, but thats how they are, it won't change anytime soon - so anything to make your life easier and save the taxi fare just because some employees might only give you half the information you need....

Maybe I have just been lucky over the last 12 years and 3 Immigration Offices. smile.png

maybe it's because your status never changed ....why you have been so fortunate ....my status did change .. & for me it was a process obtaining all the new documents ...... and i had no choice but to use an agent while that was taking place .......its when i felt confident that i had everything .... i went through a 3 month process of presenting the new documents and having them approved...... but on the final day when everything was to happen the smiles turned to snarls & it was obvious they did not like that i was cutting out the agent

If unreasonable additional requirements are imposed for an application for extension of stay you can ask to speak to the chief of the Immigration office. If this does not help, call the immigration helpline 1178.

OR the number 1111

http://www.tatnews.org/thai-government-launches-1111-hotline-receive-complaints-from-foreigners/

This is very helpful at least now i know i can go over someones head if they get outrageous .......i'm sure if you take this action .....it can make you an enemy of the state ...... but sometimes you got to take a stand ....... thanks for sharing this procedure of last resort

tropo u hit it on the head ....... i got through everything but like i said earlier it wasn't easy

Maybe you should continue going down the illegal route then if you don't like complying with the rules.

This highlights an interesting quandary. The "illegal route" you refer to is actually carried out INSIDE immigration offices and sanctioned by government employees (in uniform). Is it our job to stamp out corruption in the system, or should we leave that task for Thailand to work on?

If an official "illegal route" is on offer, who's the "bad boy" when people take them up on their offer?

It's certainly doesn't seem right for self-righteous (pompous) members to pontificate over these irregularities.

i wanted to end the short cuts & do it the right way ......i never intended or wanted to break the law ......... i know after a few years of being here (12) you have to be on top of your game if you want to stop paying additional costs to stay here & handle your business.....& i patiently went thru that ........ 90 days of it & more than 5 trips to the office & officer..... thx everyone for letting me know i was not alone & my experience has been felt by others as well ...... so you need to understand eclipse i never did anything illegal or ever wanted too.... and when i tried to end it ......THEY NOT ME tried with all their might to put me back that way ..... & they did not want to comply to the rules .......i did everything humanly possible to obey all their requirements..... so have a heart to understand everyone is not as fortunate to have worry free visa application experiences as you have had

Well that's a bit like you being skeptical at others having a health problem just cos you never had it. Just because you never had a problem at immigration does not mean others have not met with obstructive, unfriendly officers, and corrupt ones of course.

My first extension experience 10 years ago was appalling but no point complaining about it. The woman officer was obviously looking for a bribe and even though everything was in order eventually out of frustration just refused to process it and then told me to go to another office as they did not really do them there. I was not abusive and calm and collected throughout.This was all untrue they did of course do extensions and it was the correct office for my area. The woman either retired shortly after or was moved and I found out from here she was a falang hater, not really in the right job! She even told my mrs she did not understand how she could live with somebody too stupid to understand the immigration rules. It was obvious from what she said earlier and the way she behaved that she was fishing for a bribe then threw the shutters down when one was not offered.

Can't be true because it never happened to me.biggrin.png

its funny how my friend asks the office worker to help him get the documents ready for his visa because he did not want to use an agent, even Thais complain about visa application process in Thailand. It is very unclear online and even when you call to ask whats needed. Needless to say, for most people's first time applying it always takes 2-3 trips to the immigration to get all the documents required correct - even with a Thai helping.

There's no way I'm bringing snacks in order to entice corrupt immigration officers to do their job. Maybe that would seem right up north in farming districts, but it would look downright retarded at Jomtien.