How long would you wait for a date to arrive before leaving?

BookMan

My wait time is around the 30 minute mark

Bkk traffic is unpredictable and I appreciate getting a message to say the person is running late

The latest a date showed up was about an 1 hour and 40 minutes after we had arranged... She did message a few times. I would have left, but I wasn't pressed to have to be anywhere else at the time...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why wait? Go some where you want to be if she calls tell her come there. One time a woman wanted to meet me. we agreed to meet in my hotel lobby. She was late so I left. I walked past my hotel 3 hours later and saw 2 women sitting in the lobby. I went in they jumped up and ran to meet me.they had been waiting for me for over 2 hours.

Edited by lovelomsak

Why wait? Go some where you want to be if she calls tell her come there. One time a woman wanted to meet me. we agreed to meet in my hotel lobby. She was late so I left. I walked past my hotel 3 hours later and saw 2 women sitting in the lobby. I went in they jumped up and ran to meet me.they had been waiting for me for over 2 hours.

The longer you leave them waiting the more they multiply?

Depends how much you like the date I guess.

Back in 1996, on the first date with a girlfriend, we were meeting at the Amari Watergate lobby to go eat at what was considered back then the very trendy Henry J Beans. It was close to my office but she was coming from Bangna. She was well late, definitely over an hour, pre-mobile days. After what I thought was a reasonable amount of time to wait I was just about to leave when the bellboy walked past with my name written of a board with a jangling bell, with a message she was stuck in traffic. She made it, nice meal, 20 years later we're happily married with kids. Morale of the story: wait and pray ;-)

Depends how much you like the date I guess.

Back in 1996, on the first date with a girlfriend, we were meeting at the Amari Watergate lobby to go eat at what was considered back then the very trendy Henry J Beans. It was close to my office but she was coming from Bangna. She was well late, definitely over an hour, pre-mobile days. After what I thought was a reasonable amount of time to wait I was just about to leave when the bellboy walked past with my name written of a board with a jangling bell, with a message she was stuck in traffic. She made it, nice meal, 20 years later we're happily married with kids. Morale of the story: wait and pray ;-)

Nice story BB

If the date is smoking hot, I'd be more likely to wait longer

It depends.If we have sent messages to each other and had maybe traffic problems then that's different.Then you put A different time in.If your at A place 15 minutes,you call or text and nothing,then I wait 5-10 more minutes,try call and text again if nothing,then I

Send them A final text and say if you show up I won't be there.And then I leave.

'Thai time' is a pretty relative concept. Contrary to the popular myth, if something is important then Thai people are capable of very precise timing.

Put it this way...If someone had a 2 PM bank appointment to pick up a million Baht...would they get 'stuck in traffic'?

Punctuality and the importance attached to the occasion vary proportionally.

Edited by Hayduke

If they didn't message, I'd wait half an hour or so. If they messaged, fine, no worries, just keep me updated.

I mean someone above says they'd leave after ten minutes. Straight away that'd be a red flag in my book, total lack of patience. Pretty much every culture has shaken hands on fifteen minute being an acceptable window for running late for a social event without the need to message. I mean, it'd be nice if people did message, it only takes a second, but if someone didn't wait around for eleven minutes for me after I'd been caught up saving a child from being knocked over by a runaway train, then they weren't worth meeting in the first place.

30 min Bookie....and really...1.40 min you waited????? i would have asked how long before you get here....one wrong answer...2 wrong answers on the follow up call.....the third call id say another day honey.

I usually wait about the amount of time it takes me to drink a coffee starting around the time we agreed on... longer if they contact me with a good excuse.

If I don't hear from them, I'll leave a text saying contacting me when you can, I have moved on.

Edited by Nowisee

Those of us who have been in Thailand for any length of time know that the time

agreed upon is the time they leave their apartment;

not the time they arrive at your hotel or restaurant.

One hour and 40 minutes she is out with another customer most likely.

She is just putting you off by texting a message.

Been there and done that.

When she arrived I questioned her about another customer and you get this 'sheepish look'

like how do you know?!

Then I just send them on their way with no dinner and no money!

( Forget the dinner anyway, they only want the money! )

Hey Bookie the barstool sitters are here instilling there expat wisdom, arrive in BKK head to asoke get a hotel 1 block form soi cowboy wander down to the last bar find a stool, and thats it for 2 weeks....

If the first date and no message within 20 min I leave. If she send message after I left, I answer otherwise no message either. On the first date, they should make it to be on time or send message if not possible.

If not the first date then I know she would be late and I also come late whistling.gif

When she arrived I questioned her about another customer and you get this 'sheepish look'

like how do you know?!

If she was with another "customer" that really isn't a date, that is a booking or an appointment. And I wouldn't be ttaking that type out for dinner. Why the romance?

But normal Thais I wait an hour, not just romantic dates, but anyone.

It used to annoy me but now realize if a Thai says 7 pm, what they mean is anywhere between 7.00 and 7.59.

I find there is always something nice to look out while I wait anyway.

Sometimes it works the other way too, no need to stress out if running late, Thais don't generally mind too much. All cool.

I have also noticed the longer a farang lives here, usually they sort of adapt and are also late.

Mai been rai

Was supposed to meet first date at 2:00 pm. I ordered coffee for myself. Waited half hour to receive text of heavy traffic. Waited another half hour received another text of heavy traffic. Now I am getting hungry and a little irritated. Waited 15 more minutes at which time I turned off my phone and left. Three hours later I turn on my phone showing a text that she was there but cannot find me or phone me. The time was 3:40 pm, some 1 hour and 40 minutes late. I then blocked her from the dating site and removed her from LINE.

'Thai time' is a pretty relative concept. Contrary to the popular myth, if something is important then Thai people are capable of very precise timing.

Put it this way...If someone had a 2 PM bank appointment to pick up a million Baht...would they get 'stuck in traffic'?

Punctuality and the importance attached to the occasion vary proportionally.

A lot of truth in this.

I have also found that women who work for larger corporations or who have dated foreigners before, tend to be more on time

Why wait? Go some where you want to be if she calls tell her come there. One time a woman wanted to meet me. we agreed to meet in my hotel lobby. She was late so I left. I walked past my hotel 3 hours later and saw 2 women sitting in the lobby. I went in they jumped up and ran to meet me.they had been waiting for me for over 2 hours

You prick.

Depends how far away they live. They might have to travel an hour to get to the meeting point

like how do you know?!

Might be true in some circumstances, but not this one.

What u mention is more a business relationship than a date, in my book

Edited by BookMan