Thailand slips deeper into China's embrace

webfact

Thailand slips deeper into China's embrace
Tan Hui Yee Thailand Correspondent In Bangkok

Beijing's naval aid plus treatment of Chinese dissidents in Kingdom leave some uneasy

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's navy wants to buy a submarine - and China's offer looks tempting. It is not only cheaper than the rest, but reportedly includes technology transfer and training. That, in a nutshell, describes the kind of friendship that China extends to the Thai military government now - a relationship smoothed by appealing deals unattached to the political doctrines championed by much of the Western world.

Work on the Sino-Thai railway project that will give the trans-Asian rail network a sea outlet broke ground last December.

Chinese and Thai air forces held their first joint exercise last year, shortly after Thailand received a visit from the vice-chairman of China's powerful Central Military Commission.

Full story: http://www.straitstimes.com/world/thailand-slips-deeper-into-chinas-embrace

-- The Straits Times 2016-03-07

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We Westerners see things differently to Thai's. We greet the changes with skepticism....when we should be applauding the efforts of the current government in building new friendships and developing the country into a greater than great powerhouse of modern wonders!

post-63954-0-80764900-1457308539_thumb.j

We Westerners see things differently to Thai's. We greet the changes with skepticism....when we should be applauding the efforts of the current government in building new friendships and developing the country into a greater than great powerhouse of modern wonders!

attachicon.gifBull.JPG

. Surely ,you Jest...

attachicon.gifBull.JPG

He's even got his lipstick out to put on the pig.

Chineas were used to dig the Klongs years ago,they stayed,and not being idle like the Rich Natives they prospered bought up anything profitable and now own Thailand anyway.They wrote the Immigration rules to keep opposition from getting a grip here

Chineas were used to dig the Klongs years ago,they stayed,and not being idle like the Rich Natives they prospered bought up anything profitable and now own Thailand anyway.They wrote the Immigration rules to keep opposition from getting a grip here

What have you been smoking?

At the first Chinese New Year celebration I witnessed in Thailand in the 80's, almost every business was closed including the Banks, Bangkok was shut down, and Chinese New Year was not a public holiday.

He's right, the Chinese influence in business here is huge.

The Chinese see all asians (even the Japanese as Chinese ) from way back , bringing the Asian group together again is a far reaching plan ,

Now China has pulled its growth rate back too 6-7 % and re adjusting how they employ the millions of people in so called dirty factories, being smarter and having cleaner quality businesses is going to take time,( and offering deals not only to Thailand )

A deal for Thailand in this case of a sub and all the all the that go with it, Then as a procurement government official looking at it vs a French or other makers quote would or could be a bonus cheaper option, (of money )

Myself i see no need for the Government to waste such money,

The Chinese see all asians (even the Japanese as Chinese ) from way back , bringing the Asian group together again is a far reaching plan ,

Now China has pulled its growth rate back too 6-7 % and re adjusting how they employ the millions of people in so called dirty factories, being smarter and having cleaner quality businesses is going to take time,( and offering deals not only to Thailand )

A deal for Thailand in this case of a sub and all the all the that go with it, Then as a procurement government official looking at it vs a French or other makers quote would or could be a bonus cheaper option, (of money )

Surely you mean SE Asia

Thailand is determined to buy Submarines,an accident waiting to happen,

in my opinion.

If they do ,will the Submariners favourite song be" We all live in a Yellow Submarine."

regards worgeordie

Surely you mean SE Asia

As in ? (SE Asia) If your thinking about my top opening, no that is true ,

China is going to fleece Thailand and all of the population will be happy,

Decades of paranoia about Westerners owning anything more than a condo, and then suddenly within a few short years give the whole lot to China..... Brilliant move!!!!

He's right, the Chinese influence in business here is huge.

the Golden Triangle produced 3,050 tons of opium in 1989 whistling.gif

They say Afghanistan produces about 3,700 tons these days p/a

Edited by whiterussian

attachicon.gifBull.JPG

He's even got his lipstick out to put on the pig.

I think the picture of the bull says it all!

Thailand is determined to buy Submarines,an accident waiting to happen,

in my opinion.

If they do ,will the Submariners favourite song be" We all live in a Yellow Submarine."

regards worgeordie

No accidents will be allowed to happen. Thailand will just keep the submarines mostly parked in dock....like their aircraft carrier.