Former deputy minister charged over shooting dog dead outside 7-Eleven

webfact

Former deputy minister charged over shooting dog dead outside 7-Eleven
By Coconuts Bangkok

mp_0.jpg
Five cartridges were found at the scene. Photo: WATCHDOG Thailand

BANGKOK: -- A former deputy minister and Democrat Party MP has been charged with animal cruelty after he admitted to shooting a stray dog dead outside a 7-Eleven store yesterday.

Tawee Kraikupt, who once served as a deputy minister for the Ministry of Transport and Ministry of Commerce, allegedly shot the stray dog five times, causing it to die on the spot outside the convenience store in Suan Phueng district of Ratchaburi province yesterday morning.

Tawee, 77, said the female dog bit him, so he went back to his car to retrieve the gun and shoot it dead before driving away, according to police.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/03/08/former-deputy-minister-charged-over-shooting-dog-dead-outside-7-eleven

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-03-08

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he did the right thing. It was a dangerous dog.. it probably bit a lot of people... and it could seriously injure a child or spread rabies.

It does not seem cruel to shoot it dead. It would probably be more cruel to let it live as a stray dog on the streets to be kicked about by people, get into fights with other dogs.. got no vet treatment.. and eventually die a slow and painful death.. if its does not get run down by a car.

They are a danger to people. not just aggressive ones.. but they casue a lot of traffic accidents when they run into the road....

That's not his fault. Those dogs often carry rabies and the country does not have proper animal control. These stray dogs kill lot of people every year in traffic accidents. My done has been bit twice and I neatly died when I hit one on sukumvit on a motorcycle. L

Ahhhh - he was charged with animal cruelty - are there no laws about transporting a firearm, brandishing a weapon in public, shooting it off inside a city, etc, etc??? Or are these ignored offenses consistent with being a big shot in LOS?

I understand the reasoning - he got angry and wanted to bite back. He is probably so old that his false teeth could not handle it.

He was upset as the dog rejected his sexual advances.

Really?

Takes five shots to kill a dog sitting on one spot?... Hmmm either he was a horrible shot or maybe the dog was running away and he is spraying bullets all around in front of a 7/11 that could easily bounce off the concrete and hit some innocent person....

Lucky the only one who died was the dog.

Who knows if the dog had ever bitten anyone or if this guy kicked it or what?

When will we get adequate control measures of rabbi-infested stray dogs being a danger to the public? When will the municipal authorities act, so that we don't need to see this cruelty anymore?

12814698_655520037921873_328520425737524

Good job! Straydogs shouldn't be on the streets. I also got bitten by one.

A friend of mine is undergoing painful rabies shots from getting bitten last month. Since strays are taken care of by someone then they aren't actually strays and laws should be made to make the person feeding them accountable for medical expenses. This dog should have been put down and that man had every right to shoot and kill it. If it was me I would have taken the dog and my wounds to the hospital though for a rabies check and them gone to hunt down the owner or people who feed it.

They really need lease laws here and strays should be put down or given to responsible owners. Ohh wait! Sorry! This IS Thailand I am talking about. Hmmp

I understand the reasoning - he got angry and wanted to bite back. He is probably so old that his false teeth could not handle it.

I don't follow your reasoning.

It's a dangerous dog. It bit him, it would have bitten somebody else.

So unless you can name the organisation one can call in these cases, he took the only reasonable recourse - to put the dog down.

I mean - what's he gonna do - call the police?

When will we get adequate control measures of rabbi-infested stray dogs being a danger to the public? When will the municipal authorities act, so that we don't need to see this cruelty anymore?

12814698_655520037921873_328520425737524

At the bottom of the (horrible) picture you show, I read: 'Royal Thai police & Watchdog Thailand & Soi Dog Foundation', while quite oddly under the picture in the article itself I read: 'Rayal Thai polie watchdog'... In the appelation on your picture, the two '&' already make it a weird combination for this 'foundation' I never heard of before (and you?): what will it be? The way it's written would mean the 'foundation' is made up out of the Thai policemen, a Thai watchdog and a soi dog, ...weird. Or should it then be a Thai 'watchdog' foundation focussed on the activities of the Royal Thai police and the sake of soi dogs in addition? Still a weird association... Not clear at all... As for the other appelation, it looks like a pale (...Thai?) copy of the other one... Bah, after all maybe the two members of this 'foundation' didn't totally agree with one another when they decided to start it up, last night, late... Anyway, TiT, big time...

Edited by bangrak

I wonder what he did to the poor dog to make it bite him in the first place?

I wonder how many motorcyclists he ran off the road on the way home.

Disgusting old codger.

Do you also ask rape victims what they did to make someone rape them in the first place.

Absolutely disgusting attitude.

A friend of mine is undergoing painful rabies shots from getting bitten last month. Since strays are taken care of by someone then they aren't actually strays and laws should be made to make the person feeding them accountable for medical expenses. This dog should have been put down and that man had every right to shoot and kill it. If it was me I would have taken the dog and my wounds to the hospital though for a rabies check and them gone to hunt down the owner or people who feed it.

They really need lease laws here and strays should be put down or given to responsible owners. Ohh wait! Sorry! This IS Thailand I am talking about. Hmmp

Good luck getting a soi dog into a hospital

The dog that bit me was in a shop, i guess it's the owners dog since it's always there.

I told them the shots costed 10k baht but they didn't care.

It would be better if there were no dogs at all in Thailand since the Thai are too irresponsible for them. Many of my neighbours have dogs, they never ever walk them and if they bark all day they also don't care. Some even sit in a cage all day long and this is a nice moobaan where we live.

There's a rule of max. 2 dogs at a house but of course some have 3 or more dogs. They also seem to love very fat dogs because they are so cute and than you look so rich.

Many of them give the dog away when it gets one year old, also they just open the gate to let it walk itself....

A hiso lady here likes to drive her big car around and feed all soidogs, we have big groups now waiting for her to come feed them.