Can anyone explain to me new BTS Purple Line?

thaichalina

• 4 months later...

Ok got the new BTS Skytrain (purple line) today. To answer your question you get off a tao Poon and there is a 'free' bus ( yes you read that right 'free') to Bang sue. I know this for a fact as Like I say, I just went on it today ! 

9 hours ago, Bbwn said:

Ok got the new BTS Skytrain (purple line) today. To answer your question you get off a tao Poon and there is a 'free' bus ( yes you read that right 'free') to Bang sue. I know this for a fact as Like I say, I just went on it today ! 

You should also have received a 14 Baht discount on your Blue Line ride if you used a smart-card (sorry no discount for single-ride users).

By the way it's not a BTS, it's operated for MRTA by BEM (formerly BMCL) the same company that operate the MRT.

12 hours ago, Bbwn said:

I need to ride it once to test how long the whole trip takes from the start point up untill you get off at Bang sue

4 hours ago, robblok said:

I need to ride it once to test how long the whole trip takes from the start point up untill you get off at Bang sue

What can we do in Bang sue? There's no mall or anything and very crowded.

I would like to know the time for the whole ride from Bang Yai to Siam. 

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, innocenthai said:

Sorry but donmuang airport bts will be connected to mo chit bts (chatuchak) ? thanks.

No, you are thinking of the SRT Dark Red Line which is a commuter/suburban line that will eventually be nearly 90kms long when finally completed.

The first stage will run from the new Bang Sue Intercity Terminal to Rangsit.

Details here in this thread on page 12.....

Edited by Lakegeneve

IN between the 2 places around TP/BS is a big TESCO, just by the side is also a very big and well-known Thai style wet market-Tao Poon.  And the Thai Cement works. The shopper mercca is of course Westgate at the far end near BangBuaThong.

The ROAD in between is mostly 3 lanes-partly 2 when it passes beside a vidauct/flyover and is the usual big trafic jam in the peaks. Routes like 65,66,70,97 serve it.

There IS already most of a rail connection-the current MRT will be extended west-connect this purple line-then south in Thonburi as skytrain, then connect with the other side extension of MRT (undeground Chinatown-then over the river and far west to bang Khae). You can see the way up of it from down the ground beside that tesco.

Another changepoint is for the SRT an bang Son-big new and useless station built+ready-near that overhyped train-night market.

• 3 weeks later...

Purple line will try myself next week.. must return from Red Cross Hospital Bangkok.. so will be 1st time on the MRT, understand somewhere is a Free bus to the Purple line, end of line get a bus to end of my road, then get the 6 wheel truck up to my Village [ that I know cost 20 baht, and takes 40 mins]

The next house in the Village both the husband and wife work for over 20 years at Red Cross Hospital Bangkok..  on there day off they tried it this week.. number of problems, no way could they use it every day, 1] would be very to work every day, 2] the Park and Ride is very expensive to park all day,  3] the Fares + hassle is just not worth the bother...  They leave home at 04:45 every morning, and clock in at work before 06:00 door to door they have a reserved staff parking space at the hospital.  

I will go with them as usual for my Appointment next week [ bit of a pain as my appointment is 12:30 so a long wait]  and will try the Purple line on the way back see if it is any easier... [normal I use the BTS to Mo Chit and then 2x Mini Vans and the local 6 wheel bus.... use the car 1x not anymore great pain to find parking at the Hospital + took over 3 hours of stop start traffic to get home]

2 hours ago, ignis said:

Purple line will try myself next week.. must return from Red Cross Hospital Bangkok.. so will be 1st time on the MRT, understand somewhere is a Free bus to the Purple line, end of line get a bus to end of my road, then get the 6 wheel truck up to my Village [ that I know cost 20 baht, and takes 40 mins]

The next house in the Village both the husband and wife work for over 20 years at Red Cross Hospital Bangkok..  on there day off they tried it this week.. number of problems, no way could they use it every day, 1] would be very to work every day, 2] the Park and Ride is very expensive to park all day,  3] the Fares + hassle is just not worth the bother...  They leave home at 04:45 every morning, and clock in at work before 06:00 door to door they have a reserved staff parking space at the hospital.  

I will go with them as usual for my Appointment next week [ bit of a pain as my appointment is 12:30 so a long wait]  and will try the Purple line on the way back see if it is any easier... [normal I use the BTS to Mo Chit and then 2x Mini Vans and the local 6 wheel bus.... use the car 1x not anymore great pain to find parking at the Hospital + took over 3 hours of stop start traffic to get home]

Last week we took the riverboat to visit a familymember in that famous hospital at the Ratchawong pier along the Chao-praya.

Coming out of the boat it was impossible for me (as tall farang) to walk on the pavement...I almost lost an eyeball, hit my head few times, almost fell over cables/dogs on the pavement....It was a big relieve to enter the hospitalterrain, it looked like paradise compared to the street it is at.

Would be nice if all (specially the top) hospitals had a good public transport connection and safe walkway to them. Also would be nice if inside those hospitals they used good signs to find the department one heading to. My wife had to ask the staff 5 times where we had to go, she also couldn't use the roadsigns. 

Also i expected this hospital to be highly protected by security because....i won't mention it, just got  banned for that....but even the soldiers didn't carry any guns....strange.

well got back home at 19:30..  Red Cross Hospital connects direct to the MRT [as it does to the BTS]  so 42 baht for a travel token to end of line, easy to follow exit to the Free Bus + there Air con ones, again easy to follow directions to the Purple line another 42 baht to the end of that line,  as it was late rush hours almost over, took a Taxi from there to home another 120 baht.  so door to door was 2 hours 20 mins..

So next Thursday have another 2 different Drs appointment at hospital, so will come back the same was... out of interest,  the MRT was packed, the Purple line near empty..  from Central Westgate station  to end of line there were 5 people in total [3 carriages] , so maybe that is the reason never see cars parked in the Park & Ride there.

On 16-9-2016 at 9:57 PM, ignis said:

well got back home at 19:30..  Red Cross Hospital connects direct to the MRT [as it does to the BTS]  so 42 baht for a travel token to end of line, easy to follow exit to the Free Bus + there Air con ones, again easy to follow directions to the Purple line another 42 baht to the end of that line,  as it was late rush hours almost over, took a Taxi from there to home another 120 baht.  so door to door was 2 hours 20 mins..

So next Thursday have another 2 different Drs appointment at hospital, so will come back the same was... out of interest,  the MRT was packed, the Purple line near empty..  from Central Westgate station  to end of line there were 5 people in total [3 carriages] , so maybe that is the reason never see cars parked in the Park & Ride there.

The park and ride is probably too expensive, als 42 baht 2x plus park and ride it all ads up. Now they charge parking fees at Westgate too (have not been hit for them as i dont stay that long just a few hours). They had to do this otherwise everyone who normally parks and rides would park for free at Westgate.

On 18/09/2016 at 10:48 AM, robblok said:

The park and ride is probably too expensive, als 42 baht 2x plus park and ride it all ads up. Now they charge parking fees at Westgate too (have not been hit for them as i dont stay that long just a few hours). They had to do this otherwise everyone who normally parks and rides would park for free at Westgate.

With the price reductions for card users it's now (IIRC) 22 Baht end to end and 5 Baht per 2 hours in the parking (if you use the train to get the lower parking rate).

Ridership is still only about 25k rides per day :(

and how long does it take ?

Depends how able bodied you are, it is very clearly sign posted, but a very long walk, [was offered a wheelchair this last trip] up the moving stairs and the FREE Bus [orange + Air Con ones] also clearly marked Blue Line - Purple Line Shuttle, appear to be many busses and it is 1KM of good road, your are dropped under the station by the stairs, again to get on the Purple line it is a very long walk for non able bodied people. [use of lift up was offered but could not see anyone with wheel chairs service]

Edit: Guess is not that far but me cobbling along on sticks, I was one of the 1st off the Blue line, last at exit barriers/gates, by the time I had got to the bus the passengers from the next train had also overtaken me. likewise at the Purple Line when I arrived at the ticket office the 3rd bus load of passengers had arrived.. 

Edited by ignis

I use the Purple line twice a week from Central Rattanatibet through to Tao Poon then bus to Bang Sue and onwards. This Journey takes about 20 minutes.. 

I can confirm apart from the pain of getting off train, onto bus, then back on train, not to mention the long walk at Bang Sue station, the service is working well.

Everytime when I have arrived at Tao poon there are buses waiting, soon as they are loaded they go, depending on traffic it only takes five or ten minutes to Bang Sue, it's the same coming back, never long to wait for buses.