Landing a non teaching job?

Hi all

I was just wondering how possible it is to land a non teaching job in Thailand? I know a lot of people are self employed with their own business, but for people who don't have money to start their own business? ( I know, go back home if you don't want to teach) .

I used to work with building management, skills that's not really useful here.

Where can foreigners find work without an education in IT or engineering?

Customer support? Resorts ? Hotels?

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before.

If you are going to be working legally with a work permit then you will find that reputable resorts and hotels only hire a very few foreigners for senior management positions such as General Manager, Director of Sales and Marketing, Executive Chef, etc.

You will also find that the requirements and the competition for these jobs is high.

For a hotel GM you would be expected to have Bachelors degree in hospitality management and quite possibly a Masters degree plus many years experience working your way up the ladder.

After all, if you owned the business, would you let someone with no experience run a multi million (choose your currency) business that employs dozens or hundreds of people and trades on its reputation and expertise every day?

Thailand is seen as a nice posting after somewhere like Dubai. Expect the competition to be fierce.

Jaxter:

If you could, somehow, find a non-teaching job here, have you considered that you'd be working for boss who is Thai or, more likely and even worse, Chinese-Thai? Not a pleasant thought.

Jaxter:

If you could, somehow, find a non-teaching job here, have you considered that you'd be working for boss who is Thai or, more likely and even worse, Chinese-Thai? Not a pleasant thought.

Wow, that's a bit xenophobic don't you think. Do you actually live in Thailand? With that attitude?

TH

Wow, that's a bit xenophobic don't you think. Do you actually live in Thailand? With that attitude?

TH

Millions do have that attitude...they are called Thai people / workers....I will assume you are caucasian and under 50 years of age more likely under 40.

Naive is how best to describe people who do not understand why ethnic groups despice the sight of one another. The world is not Woodstock. We are not a happy clappy bunch of hippies who want to make a chocolate coloured world in a great big melting pot...!!!

Thais are colour prejudice in the extreme, Brown or dark skin is looked down on, I also encountered this in Africa and Brazil, mulato gets an office job blacks get a broom or mop if they are lucky.

If you are looking to work in Thailand I suggest getting a lesson on how to really work as an ex-pat before venturing out in the big world. I can speak from experience having worked all over the globe. Having a holiday in a country bears no resemblance to living and working hand to mouth with the locals. Been there done it and thrown out all the T shirts/baseball caps I got.

Edited by lonewolf99

I am working as a teacher now in Thailand, saving up 2 million Baht is not easy I think. I earn a standard teachers wage here, and I am not married can't make a business in my girlfriends name as technically shes still married.

But is it possible for her to set one up with me as partner? or do we have to be married? And how much would that cost?

Property management?

What kind of job can foreigners fill at these companies? Seller?

Just curious because I have never seen any jobs being advertised in that line of work.

Condo GM etc..... Property management not sales.

TH

Millions do have that attitude...they are called Thai people / workers....I will assume you are caucasian and under 50 years of age more likely under 40.

Naive is how best to describe people who do not understand why ethnic groups despice the sight of one another. The world is not Woodstock. We are not a happy clappy bunch of hippies who want to make a chocolate coloured world in a great big melting pot...!!!

Thais are colour prejudice in the extreme, Brown or dark skin is looked down on, I also encountered this in Africa and Brazil, mulato gets an office job blacks get a broom or mop if they are lucky.

If you are looking to work in Thailand I suggest getting a lesson on how to really work as an ex-pat before venturing out in the big world. I can speak from experience having worked all over the globe. Having a holiday in a country bears no resemblance to living and working hand to mouth with the locals. Been there done it and thrown out all the T shirts/baseball caps I got.

No, actually 60+ and retired now after working in Asia for over 20 years for a major MNC, half of that in Thailand.

Naive means lacking experience, wisdom or judgement. That would seem to describe you, not me.

What about you? You ever worked in an Asian country where the the "little brown people" are calling the shots?

You exemplify all that is wrong with westerners living in Asia (if indeed you actually live here).

TH

• 3 weeks later...

I am working as a teacher now in Thailand, saving up 2 million Baht is not easy I think. I earn a standard teachers wage here, and I am not married can't make a business in my girlfriends name as technically shes still married.

But is it possible for her to set one up with me as partner? or do we have to be married? And how much would that cost?

That will be the last thing i'll do if i were you. Save the 2 million Baht and continue working until you retire. 2 Million Baht as start up capital is not enough enough in Thailand. If your business fail she'll blame you and when it start making money she'll do what to can to kick you out of the company. I'm not saying that it will always end up that way, but how many actually make it. Less than 10% i suppose

That will be the last thing i'll do if i were you. Save the 2 million Baht and continue working until you retire. 2 Million Baht as start up capital is not enough enough in Thailand. If your business fail she'll blame you and when it start making money she'll do what to can to kick you out of the company. I'm not saying that it will always end up that way, but how many actually make it. Less than 10% i suppose

some proper abvice, better than just calling someone naive

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hi Jack the thread a little bit does anyone k ow what sort off salary to expect working as a hotel General manager say in a 4 star 40 room beachfront hotel.this is not a hotel belonging to a big chain ,a privately owned Thai hotel brand new just opening.

Sorry to hi Jack the thread a little bit does anyone k ow what sort off salary to expect working as a hotel General manager say in a 4 star 40 room beachfront hotel.this is not a hotel belonging to a big chain ,a privately owned Thai hotel brand new just opening.

It all depends on your experience and what you can bring to the job.

Somewhere between 50k and 100k a month, depending on you.