visa exemption warning at airport

I can see what immigration are attempting to do i.e. stop illegal working which is fine but I dont understand why there isnt other ways to clamp down on this. Even the UK gives a 6 month visa yet Thailand for whom tourism is a significant portion of the countries income seems to do everything to stop tourists. Obviously they cant or wont control Thai business's and opt for the easy solution.

How come other countries can take care of illegal working whilst Thailand seems unable to?

• Like 2

I can see what immigration are attempting to do i.e. stop illegal working which is fine but I dont understand why there isnt other ways to clamp down on this. Even the UK gives a 6 month visa yet Thailand for whom tourism is a significant portion of the countries income seems to do everything to stop tourists. Obviously they cant or wont control Thai business's and opt for the easy solution.

How come other countries can take care of illegal working whilst Thailand seems unable to?

Thailand gives a 6 month METV which enables 9 month stay. All be it some of the requirements are bit foolish

• Like 1

Wrong.

" However, while one of the premier tourist destinations in the world, the Thai economy only receives around 7% of its GDP from international tourism revenue,"

5 years on tourist is a clear indication to immigration your not a tourist

and people wonder why there are so many overstayers in Thailand, most probably under 50.

Is it not about time the Thailand government gave more thought to these people?

A lot of people are not going to accept the very poor value for money of the Elite Visa.

A lot of you posters will get fed up about me always going on about this as it does not affect me.

But if I feel strongly about anything, then yes, I will keep on going on about it when the opportunity arises.

When I came back from a week in Bali on Jan 20 it was to be my 4th visa exempt entry in under 6 months, and my Thai gf was right there with me, and the officer gave me a pretty hard time. Back in CA in Feb I finally read the LA consulate guidelines carefully, and it says more than once, don't come in exempt for more than 90 days in any 180 day stretch. The officer finally let me in, and in doing so, in hindsight, he let me break the rule. So now I've got my application in for an METV, should come next week.

The advantage of not using visas is obvious, but the disadvantage is I've had to time my travels right down to the day, and if I'm a little sick and would rather not fly, it's a pain in the ass. The METV makes that aspect much easier. After this METV I plan to get a retirement visa, since I meet the requirements.

• Like 1

Yea I mean it was up until now. Now it seems an unpaid visa is not "the correct visa".

Or is my logic incorrect in the sense that the more you pay the more correct it becomes?

The ideal of course is 500K. So how come it's then correct to stay as a long term tourist for 5 years with no employment allowed of course.

Can someone explain I am a little lost here smile.png

This is Thailand.

Wrong.

" However, while one of the premier tourist destinations in the world, the Thai economy only receives around 7% of its GDP from international tourism revenue,"

So elaborate. What is wrong or this that as far as you have got in the sentence and clicked post? Show the facts. Remember I am not just talking of people coming into the country I am also including related industries that depend on the tourism

and people wonder why there are so many overstayers in Thailand, most probably under 50.

A lot of people are not going to accept the very poor value for money of the Elite Visa.

A lot of you posters will get fed up about me always going on about this as it does not affect me.

But if I feel strongly about anything, then yes, I will keep on going on about it when the opportunity arises.

Nothing wrong in canvassing for change, but your comments on an internet forum are worth Jack.

I agree that the under 50's are disadvantaged when it comes to long-term stay. I see no reason why the financial requirements do not apply to everyone - without age restriction. If a foreigner can afford to stay here (and meet immigration figures) then age should not be a factor.

However, my words are also worth Jack and until rules change everyone should abide by the regulations in force. Just because I may not believe in something does not give me, or others, the right to break the law - and I fundamentally sgree with Thailand's right to set the bar where it chooses.

It would be nice if a body with representative influence would take up the case i.e, like the British Embassy......

Nothing wrong in canvassing for change, but your comments on an internet forum are worth Jack.

I agree that the under 50's are disadvantaged when it comes to long-term stay. I see no reason why the financial requirements do not apply to everyone - without age restriction. If a foreigner can afford to stay here (and meet immigration figures) then age should not be a factor.

However, my words are also worth Jack and until rules change everyone should abide by the regulations in force. Just because I may not believe in something does not give me, or others, the right to break the law - and I fundamentally sgree with Thailand's right to set the bar where it chooses.

It would be nice if a body with representative influence would take up the case i.e, like the British Embassy......

I thought it was a serious post until you mentioned the British Embassy then I knew it must be a joke. The British Embassy help no one and do nothing for anyone, surely you have realised that by now. The rest of the post I agree with.

Under 50 are not disadvantaged, they can get a 5 year visa for less than thb 300/day...if people are complaining about this amount then obviously the cant afford to live in Thailand long term

• Like 1

I thought it was a serious post until you mentioned the British Embassy then I knew it must be a joke. The British Embassy help no one and do nothing for anyone, surely you have realised that by now. The rest of the post I agree with.

Yes Gandalf, that is why I left a trail of dots..... I could have inserted "if they were not so busy extorting money for old rope and sucking up to foreign dignitaries" .... but I thought it best to leave others to make their own opinion.

• Like 2

Good post, and you will probably not agree with me, but if I do not agree with any law, and I can get away with it, I will break it as long as no one is being harmed.

Good post, and you will probably not agree with me, but if I do not agree with any law, and I can get away with it, I will break it as long as no one is being harmed.

No I don't agree Possum.

But then I am a hypocrite - I will not tell DWP I live in Thailand when it comes to the time for claiming my UK pension - and I have also been known to park on double yellow lines.

Where Thai immigration is concerned I am more of a 'yes man'.

Edited by Jip99

thailand immigration allows certain passport holders the privilege of entry without visa. who stipulates how many times this can be done? is there an official, written rule that limits these entries to a certain number?

There is an outdated rule that stated a limit of 90 days per 6 months for visa exempt entries. It is still stated in some official documentation and consulate websites. Even when in effect, it was unenforceable for entry by air. Some border entry points from Cambodia seem still to enforce it (or even 90 days per year) although they have no official justification. Some border points for entering from Myanmar will not allow you to enter visa exempt period.

The most reliable, albeit not "official", documentation on what you can and cannot do with visa exempt entries is right here in this forum.

Some of us really wish there was a definitive set of rules for visas, visa exempts, extensions of stay etc. kept up to date and followed consistently by all consulates, immigration offices and entry points. There isn't.

thailand immigration allows certain passport holders the privilege of entry without visa. who stipulates how many times this can be done? is there an official, written rule that limits these entries to a certain number?

There is an outdated rule that stated a limit of 90 days per 6 months for visa exempt entries. It is still stated in some official documentation and consulate websites. Even when in effect, it was unenforceable for entry by air. Some border entry points from Cambodia seem still to enforce it (or even 90 days per year) although they have no official justification. Some border points for entering from Myanmar will not allow you to enter visa exempt period.

The most reliable, albeit not "official", documentation on what you can and cannot do with visa exempt entries is right here in this forum.

Some of us really wish there was a definitive set of rules for visas, visa exempts, extensions of stay etc. kept up to date and followed consistently by all consulates, immigration offices and entry points. There isn't.

The same question has asked many timea already in the past year in other topics equal to this one.

There is no written rule limiting the number of visa exempt entries or the amount of time spent over any period of time,

Immigration get an an alert when your reach 6 of them that is meant to inform the officer he should check a persons history of entries. They should mostly be looking for out/in visa runs to get a new entry. Visa exempt entries are not meant to be used to live here.

They cannot deny entry for to many visa exempt entries. The can only do it under section 12 of the immigration act. The most common are lack of financial proof and/or suspicion of working here. Having the equivalent of 20k baht in cash will overcome the financials. For working proof of an income from outside the country would help on that.

At border crossing if can be different because they often do not follow the same procedures used at an airport to deny entry. They often tell people no and expect them to turnaround and go back to the other country without a denial of entry stamp being done..

• Like 1

The same question has asked many timea already in the past year in other topics equal to this one.

There is no written rule limiting the number of visa exempt entries or the amount of time spent over any period of time,

Immigration get an an alert when your reach 6 of them that is meant to inform the officer he should check a persons history of entries. They should mostly be looking for out/in visa runs to get a new entry. Visa exempt entries are not meant to be used to live here.

They cannot deny entry for to many visa exempt entries. The can only do it under section 12 of the immigration act. The most common are lack of financial proof and/or suspicion of working here. Having the equivalent of 20k baht in cash will overcome the financials. For working proof of an income from outside the country would help on that.

At border crossing if can be different because they often do not follow the same procedures used at an airport to deny entry. They often tell people no and expect them to turnaround and go back to the other country without a denial of entry stamp being done..

thank you, ubonjoe, for taking the time to reply.

so, there are no 'real' guidelines for the immigration officer as to who to let in and who not to. just like who can open a bank account or who can buy a car in his/her own name or who should do tm 30 / 28...

it all always boils down to who you are and who you are dealing with.

i do not know much about thailand but i do know that thai administration often knows even less than i do.

Where is the country called MNL?

One can guess Manila Philippines.

Thank you very much. Now I know that arunsakda met a man who left Thailand to spend his money in Ninoy Aquino International Airport (MNL)

For those members who may be unaware of it: there is no limit to the length of messages posted on Thaivisa, unlike with text messages on the mobile phone or posts on Twitter. Therefore, it is not necessary on Thaivisa to use IATA codes for airports or to use ISO or Inernet codes for the names of countries, as it would be presumptious to expect that every reader of Thaivisa or even a majority of them know all these codes.

He wasn't knocked back now was he?

I have never met one who has been other than a guy who quit Thailand as he was tired of being hassled and happy to spend his considerable monies in MNL.

Many are warned but if you go through all of the posts on the offshore workers (oil/gas) subforums supposedly one or two have been denied.

I re-read my post and it was not clear. The guy I mentioned was not actually denied entry either.

He is a senior Captain who was commuting into BKK several times a month (usually from HKG). Staying in a condo in Patts. He reported starting to get hassled about visa exempts and the last time they made him sit around that office which is near the VIP entry area waiting on a supervisor to "get back from lunch". He decides they were just making him wait to make him wait. So meanwhile he books a flight on his mobile somewhere and told Immigration he was no longer interested in visiting Thailand.

The guy is interesting in he is one of a few people I have met who pride themselves on having few possesions and no fixed abode, even though can afford otherwise. The condo he basically got for free from another guy who walked away from it. (Apparently one of those dreary boxes that is impossible to sell). On the other hand he arrogantly believes he should be able to fly to Thailand on visa exempts as many times as he wants because "he spends money". Now he "spends money" in the PI.

I'd rather rub broken glass in my eyes. As for the criticism of my use of abbreviations I'd think the IATA code for major airports in the region should be easily understood by most expats but for others here's a brief glossary.

BKK: Suwannaphumi International Airport

HKG: Hong Kong International Airport

Patts: Pattaya City

The PI : The Phillippines

Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 2