- Teenage Slang Thread - ภาษาวัยรุ่น - Gek Lor

Briggsy

I've never heard this 'Pai dor?' to mean 'Pai nai?' Are you sure it's not 'Pai tor?'
I've already asked them what it means and they say its the same as bpai nai.

I have also heard on more than one occasion "Bpai nai dtor?" ไปไหนต่อ Which I have always taken to mean "Where are you going next?" For example, I not too long ago stopped into the German restaurant on Sukhumvit Soi 11 just to have one quick drink then leave as I had things to do. I struck up a short conversation with the young woman behind the bar while I quickly finished my drink. Upon asking for the bill she replied ไปไหนต่อ as if to be asking 'Where's your next stop?" Which I guess, has pretty much the same meaning as ไปไหน but not quite so general. Remember ไปไหน can also be used as a general term for "hello" or สวัสคี. Whereas ไปไหนต่อ would be asking more specifically "(Exactly) Where are you going?"

Googling ไปไหนต่อ turns up a great number of hits. Some in particular using the phrase in exactly the way you describe; one was a post about what the thai stock exchange will do next. So you could be 100% on the mark

I was just wondering if the speaker isn't saying ไปไหนเด้อ and just using the Issan polite particle? Granted the two words have little similarity in sound, and not having heard someone say it, of course I'm only guessing.

It's also a well known fact I'm far from the sharpest knife in the proverbial drawer when it comes to this language. :)

I'll keep my ears open to see if I hear it. Thanx

Also remember before สวัสดี was forced on the thai populace by the government until it was accepted by all thais; the other colloquial greeting was อาบน้ำหรือยัง

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi can anyone tell me what คนผีทะเล means thanks

It means 'pervert'.

Thais like to make fun of people that don't understand this word . . . for example, lets say you told them you went to the beach right after the Tsunami. They'll ask 'เคยเห็นผีทะเลมั้ย?' Not knowing what it really means, you'd think they are talking about ghosts from those that died . . .

Then they'd snicker that you didn't understand :)

• 2 weeks later...
It means 'pervert'.

In reading the definition on the previous link provided, I didn't see that it was anything close to what the poster known as “farangnahrak” intimates it to be. Then again he might run with a 'different crowd' than I do :)

It certainly does carry subtleties and has a definite subtext or unspoken meaning; but the examples given didn't seem to come anywhere near the strength of the english meaning of the word "pervert", sorry just my opinion.

FWIW here's the text;

คนผีทะเล - เป็นคำต่อว่าผู้ชายที่ เจ้าชู้, ทะลึ่ง, ลามก • เป็นคำต่อว่าเบาๆ ที่ดูน่ารัก • น่าชัง • ไม่ได้หวังผลในการทำร้ายจิตใจ • หรือทำให้เสียความรู้สึกมากนัก • เช่น "ผู้ชายผีทะเล!!" โดยเป็นคำพูดที่ มีคนรู้จักเยอะ • แต่ไม่ค่อยมีใครใช้

Maybe one of the other illustrious posters on the language forum could do a rudimentary translation to see if it’s what I got out of reading the text.

Slightly off topic but of minor merit;

It reminds me of A funny thai commercial I saw about Sylvania light bulbs and the myraid of ghosts there are here in thailand.

The boy asks his father about the ผีขนุน and it show a rough looking katoey standing under a jackfruit tree. .. Anyway, :D GOTTA LUV THAI SLANG. ..

Edited by tod-daniels

It means 'pervert'.

In reading the definition on the previous link provided, I didn't see that it was anything close to what the poster known as “farangnahrak” intimates it to be. Then again he might run with a 'different crowd' than I do :)

It certainly does carry subtleties and has a definite subtext or unspoken meaning; but the examples given didn't seem to come anywhere near the strength of the english meaning of the word "pervert", sorry just my opinion.

FWIW here's the text;

คนผีทะเล - เป็นคำต่อว่าผู้ชายที่ เจ้าชู้, ทะลึ่ง, ลามก • เป็นคำต่อว่าเบาๆ ที่ดูน่ารัก • น่าชัง • ไม่ได้หวังผลในการทำร้ายจิตใจ • หรือทำให้เสียความรู้สึกมากนัก • เช่น "ผู้ชายผีทะเล!!" โดยเป็นคำพูดที่ มีคนรู้จักเยอะ • แต่ไม่ค่อยมีใครใช้

This definition makes it sound like a girly/cutesy way of calling a guy a 'pervert' in a joking manner . . . no? :D

Note sure how to directly translate it . . . 'You're such a perve!' . . . I dunno . . .

"Cool!"; "Swell!"; "Kick ass!" - เจ๋ง or แจ๋ว

กล้วยๆ - easy peasy

I suppose it's not strictly slang but โครต is a word that is said a lot by teenagers and one that I have to remember not to use all the time, heh.

โคตร spelling, sorry, :)

Never heard this before - what does it mean please? I'm also not sure how to parse the spelling into pronunciation - /koh-dton/ ? or is it one of those teenage anomalies /koh-dor/ or even /kohd/ (sic 'Code?)

Lexitron just give the meaning as 'generation', but the sample sentence they offer looks like an equivocation:

แม่ค้า 2 คนในตลาดทะเลาะกันและด่ากันไปถึงเจ็ดชั่วโคตร

[Mum, two people in the market were arguing and swearing for ages!]

I think เจ็ดชั่วโคตร is an idiom, so I'm still none the wiser as to what โคตร means or what context you would use it in (especially ones where you would have to remind yourself not to use it?!)

Cheers in advance for your help.

Edited by SoftWater

โคตร spelling, sorry, :)

Never heard this before - what does it mean please? I'm also not sure how to parse the spelling into pronunciation - /koh-dton/ ? or is it one of those teenage anomalies /koh-dor/ or even /kohd/ (sic 'Code?)

Lexitron just give the meaning as 'generation', but the sample sentence they offer looks like an equivocation:

แม่ค้า 2 คนในตลาดทะเลาะกันและด่ากันไปถึงเจ็ดชั่วโคตร

[Mum, two people in the market were arguing and swearing for ages!]

I think เจ็ดชั่วโคตร is an idiom, so I'm still none the wiser as to what โคตร means or what context you would use it in (especially ones where you would have to remind yourself not to use it?!)

Cheers in advance for your help.

It is pronounced "kohd".

As I understand it, it is an impolite way of saying "very". It can be used either positively or negatively.

โคตรสวย

f*cking beautiful

โคตรเบื่อ

f*ucking bored

Edited by kikenyoy

It is pronounced "kohd".

As I understand it, it is an impolite way of saying "very". It can be used either positively or negatively.

โคตรสวย

f*cking beautiful

โคตรเบื่อ

f*ucking bored

Yeap, very impolite.

I've also heard โคตร used at the end as well, for example มันหนาวโคตรเลย (its f'ing cold). I'm not sure why it can be either way . . .

another question...

does anybody know what "pee paa hom" means... sorry don't know the thai spelling so not sure about the tones, but this was used in the context of to play pee paa hom...

i think its slang but apologies if its not...

btw the person seemed to agree that kon pee talay means pervert as i showed them the definition of pervert in thai in a dictionary

another question...

does anybody know what "pee paa hom" means... sorry don't know the thai spelling so not sure about the tones, but this was used in the context of to play pee paa hom...

The only thing that springs to my mind is

ผะอึดผะอม

/pa: euhd pa: ohm/

to feel nauseated

Bit of a long shot!

another question...

sounds like เล่นผีผ้าห่ม . . . a complete guess, but could maybe mean wear sheets and pretend to be ghosts . . . or some other fun game you'd play with the lady hehe :)

แจ๋ง is cool.. if you say โคตรแจ๋ง its almost like super cool or awesome!! the way a kid would say it. Like you chilling at siam and a ferrari drives by all flashy and stuff... ohhh! โคตรแจ๋ง

แจ๋งโคตรๆ also works but inre to แจ๋ง i have only heard โคตรแจ๋ง .. but a person could be like หิวโคตรๆ or just i am โคตรหิว !i think its funner to say it before a world.. i am sure there is some reasoning behind the difference but i think [word]แจ๋ง is definitely more spontaneous to say. Anyone remember the recent movie ฝันโคตรๆ ? which is something like dreamy ( i know thats not right the exact trans..yea yea)

anyway back to slangy stuff, you guys ever hear เสี่ยวจ๊าบลาว ? Kinda like saying someone is not cool, their style is LAO..

edit:spelling errors (thai and english! the nerve..)

Edited by Baa_Mango

anyway back to slangy stuff, you guys ever hear เสี่ยวจ๊าบลาว ? Kinda like saying someone is not cool, their style is LAO..

Not that particular phrase. But calling something Lao, in Thai, is a bit insulting . . . for example:

หน้าดูลาวมากเลย (his face is ugly like a Laotian)

นั่นคือลาวเลย (thats sooooo Lao)

อย่าทำแบบลาวว่ะ (don't be so f'ing Lao, ok?)

(I made up those examples on the spot, so perhaps a grammatical mistake or two, but you get the idea)

ps - In the first example, if I swap Lao for Korean, it'd be taken as a huge compliment.

Should be เจ๋ง not แจ๋ง me think.

:)

แจ๋ง is cool.. if you say โคตรแจ๋ง its almost like super cool or awesome!! the way a kid would say it. Like you chilling at siam and a ferrari drives by all flashy and stuff... ohhh! โคตรแจ๋ง

แจ๋งโคตรๆ also works but inre to แจ๋ง i have only heard โคตรแจ๋ง .. but a person could be like หิวโคตรๆ or just i am โคตรหิว !i think its funner to say it before a world.. i am sure there is some reasoning behind the difference but i think [word]แจ๋ง is definitely more spontaneous to say. Anyone remember the recent movie ฝันโคตรๆ ? which is something like dreamy ( i know thats not right the exact trans..yea yea)

edit:spelling errors (thai and english! the nerve..)

Not that particular phrase. But calling something Lao, in Thai, is a bit insulting . . . for example:

หน้าดูลาวมากเลย (his face is ugly like a Laotian)

นั่นคือลาวเลย (thats sooooo Lao)

อย่าทำแบบลาวว่ะ (don't be so f'ing Lao, ok?)

(I made up those examples on the spot, so perhaps a grammatical mistake or two, but you get the idea)

ps - In the first example, if I swap Lao for Korean, it'd be taken as a huge compliment.

Perhaps หน้าลาว(มาก), โคตรลาว, หน้าเสี่ยว

However, I would not use these terms as they are degrading to the wonderful Lao -- and Isaan -- people. (The reference is not only limited to Laotians.) And Thai superiority complex hardly needs more encouragement.

Last year I was on the selection committee and interviewed Thai youth candidates to join a youth cross-cultural exchange program (joined by selected youths from 10 SEA countries). One of the questions I asked was on this kind of reference (as successful candidates will inevitably mingle with Lao youth). The answers were interesting.

On the bus. A bunch of teenage girls were fooling around the way kids do when there are no adults around. (I didn't count as anything human.)

They compared backsides. One girl said to another girl "You've got a monkey's ass". Another one said "and she's got a ducks' ass". Nobody was angry, they where just laughing and fooling around.

Maybe these backside words were just some private jokes in this group of people and not general teenage slang. I don't know.

Edited by bow

Has anyone encountered the word "en". My best guess at writing it in Thai would be: เอ็น but it could be เอน แอ็น แอน.

I have come across it twice now.

Once I saw a Thai person write in English: "He is en".

The second time I overheard someone speaking and it sounded like "เขาเอ็น". I wasn't listening closely to the overheard conversation so it could have been "เขาเป็นเอ็น" for all I know.

Anyway...anyone know this word?

Was it in a factory? I think it is shorten from engineer. เขาเป็นเอ็น = He is an engineer.

Has anyone encountered the word "en". My best guess at writing it in Thai would be: เอ็น but it could be เอน แอ็น แอน.

The second time I overheard someone speaking and it sounded like "เขาเอ็น". I wasn't listening closely to the overheard conversation so it could have been "เขาเป็นเอ็น" for all I know.

no, sorry, not in a factory.

in the written situation (in English), I saw it in an MSN chat exchange. the writer seemed to be remarking on how someone else used lots of short chat abbreviations (e.g. C U L8R ) and chat slang. the person writing it was either impressed and/or saying that using this slang made it difficult to understand (and possibly the writer was a little annoyed).

in the conversation I overheard, the two Thai people were talking about a foreign man. they seemed to be talking about how he had a lot of thai style tattoos. I think they were also talking about how this person, who they somewhat knew, had lived in Thailand a long time and knew Thai language and Thai culture. Possibly the meaning of the comment was like "oh he has become Thai"...something like that maybe.

Was it in a factory? I think it is shorten from engineer. เขาเป็นเอ็น = He is an engineer.

Just a guess, but maybe it was 'เค้าเอ็นเตอร์'?

Wouldn't "เอ็นเตอร์" be a transcription of the English word "enter".

I think "อินเตอร์" would be a more accurate transcription for "inter(national)".

"โรงเรียนอินเตอร์" international school

"โกอินเตอร์" for someone to travel abroad

At a wild guess, I would say that "เอ็น" is a short form of "เอ็นดู".