- Teenage Slang Thread - ภาษาวัยรุ่น - Gek Lor

Briggsy

From my experience, วินทร์ เลียววาริณ's books are quite commonly found, but he has upwards of 20 published books, so any given store rarely has them all. I have most of his books published 2004 or earlier, but I don't have any of his new ones. He's very prolific, and has won the S.E.A.Write Award twice, among other accolades.

His website is winbookclub.com, and you can buy books through the site, or find one that sounds good and go get it at your nearest bookstore.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting thread. I'll have to pop back more often.

I've always had difficulty in telling slang from Issan Thai (being Laos derivative) since I live in the north east. And as my vocabulary increases I notice more that I don't know and therefore wish to know...if that makes sense...

For example.

I've noticed recently that a lot of people say bpai dor in the context of bpai nai or where are you going (sorry guru's can only write kareoke Thai being the heathen I am).

Slang? Issan? I know it's not Thai (I don't think anyway) and I believe the Issan equivelent is bpai sai. I have only become aware of it recently so I was beginning to think it was slang.

Another one. This one I know and use very regularly :o

old already (gare leo)=suk leo (i.e meaning already cooked).

I've also heard a lot of young Thais recently refering to "Tom and Jerry" when talking about someone..

Aparently this is the new term for a man (Jerry) who's girlfriend has another female (Tom) on the side.

As a comment. I'm often amazed at how many english sayings mean the same when literally translated into Thai.

e.g second hand. You would think they would have "used before" or something more descriptive but muu song=second hand :D

Completely off subject (sorry peeps) but I wrote a stupid ditty/lymerick (in Kareoke Thai) in my idle (drunken) moments for putting on my yahoo profile. I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to translate it from the kareoke to proper Thai letters for me.

Gin hoi aroy mak.

Gin hoi mai roo jak.

Gin Hoi aroy dee.

Chop gin hoi mai yuu talee

Edited by Indifferent

Not to dampen your spirits, but the vowels don't rhyme...

Gin hoi aroy mak - the word you write as 'mak' has a long vowel sound = มาก whereas the word you write 'roo jak' รู้จัก has a short vowel.

Further, the word you write as 'dee' ดี is a completely different vowel sound to the second syllable of 'talee' ทะเล (the first one is like in 'bee' and the second like the vowel in 'near' (although not a vowel glide).

I would write the poem like this Romanized:

kin hawy aroy maak

kin hawy mai ruujak

kin hawy aroy dii

chawp kin hawy mai yuu thalee

I am sure your girlfriend is happy. :o

Not to dampen your spirits, but the vowels don't rhyme...

Gin hoi aroy mak - the word you write as 'mak' has a long vowel sound = ÁÒ¡ whereas the word you write 'roo jak' ÃÙé¨Ñ¡ has a short vowel.

Further, the word you write as 'dee' ´Õ is a completely different vowel sound to the second syllable of 'talee' ·ÐàÅ (the first one is like in 'bee' and the second like the vowel in 'near' (although not a vowel glide).

I would write the poem like this Romanized:

kin hawy aroy maak

kin hawy mai ruujak

kin hawy aroy dii

chawp kin hawy mai yuu thalee

I am sure your girlfriend is happy. :D

Indeed. Your a much more cunning linguist than I am :D But lets call it poetic license :D. Limerics don't have to necessarily rhyme perfectly it's the content thats important for example:

There once was a man from Nantuckett

Who's d**k was so long he could suck it

Its the way you say "it" that makes it rhyme perfectly .

But if you have suggestions to make it more correct but keep the gist then I'm open to suggestions.

Ooooohh...could be a whole new thread. dirty lymerics in Thai :o

However. It certainly gets big grins and giggles and breaks the ice nicely :D

Also, Á×ÍÊͧ is likely a direct translation from second hand, rather than a coincidence.

My wife also believes this is the case, when I asked her.

I know.But it surprises me that they translated that rather than (say) "used" or had before or something similar.

Its like translating "brain dead" to "samong die" for a stupid person instead of ngor. Or it seems to me anyway.

Ah, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant that they coincidentally were that way.

Because there definitely some Thai idioms that aren't from English, but are near perfect equivalents to another English idiom.

ลูกไม้ตกไม่ไกลต้น "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree"

That sort of thing.

Then again, it's hard to make any claim about origin like that without a good historical language corpus, so I'll just shut up about knowing anything about Thai word origins. :o

I've never heard this 'Pai dor?' to mean 'Pai nai?' Are you sure it's not 'Pai tor?' 仵èÍ meaning to continue.

Maybe the latter which may make sense. Perhaps it is the soft t (dt) which I always have difficulty in differentiating between.

I usually hear the sentence bpai "(d)(t)or" but what was confusing was it only seems to be certain people :blink:AND I''ve only noticed it recently which made me think that maybe it was slang because everyone else says bpai nai or (for issan) bpai sai.

I've already asked them what it means and they say its the same as bpai nai.

• 1 year later...
I was reluctant to post that definition because I had a sense it could offend some. It may sometimes have a more tame definition but the Thai people I have talked to said any tame overtones from the word are merely euphemisms for the real albeit more vulgar definition. This is only what I've heard from a small section of people so naturally it could be wrong.

I would imagine that ultimately the defenition of 'gig' lies with the gigger and the giggee. As for its origin, I quite like the musical idea: going off to play a gig and then returning.

As for its origin, I quite like the musical idea: going off to play a gig and then returning.

As has been demonstrated here before, กิ๊ก bears no relation to the English slang word "gig" - neither in origin, nor at any time since. It is a Thai word.

As for its origin, I quite like the musical idea: going off to play a gig and then returning.

As has been demonstrated here before, กิ๊ก bears no relation to the English slang word "gig" - neither in origin, nor at any time since. It is a Thai word.

In support of Mr. Mangkorn's contention there is the Royal Institutes's "Dictionary of New Words" where the word กิ๊ก appears for the first time in that forum. Generally in that tome, for all words which are derived from other languages an etymological explanation is shown parenthetically at the end of the definition and sample sentence. For the word กิ๊ก there is no such etymological reference. Ergo, one must conclude, the dictionary compilers must believe that กิ๊ก is of native Thai origin. QED.

As Siamese Kitty and others have pointed out, it derives from a Thai expression which means acting silly - as happens during teenaged courtships (and older ones, too). It might at times be translated as "giggling" or "giggly," but any relation to those English words is purely coincidental.

Interesting that the RID classifies it as a new word. Of course, I have no idea how long it has been in use, but I do know octagenarian Thais who know what it means.

Edited by mangkorn

As Siamese Kitty and others have pointed out, it derives from a Thai expression which means acting silly - as happens during teenaged courtships (and older ones, too). It might at times be translated as "giggling" or "giggly," but any relation to those English words is purely coincidental.

Interesting that the RID classifies it as a new word. Of course, I have no idea how long it has been in use, but I do know octagenarian Thais who know what it means.

The term "new word" or "คำใหม่" in the title merely refers to a word that is not already included in the last edition of the hardcover "Royal Institute Dictionary of the Thai Language." The new text has many, many old words, such as my favorite, "ไข่ลวก".

ยาย สี เลี้ยง หอย ส่วน ยาย สอยเลี้ยงหมี

yaai sĕe lí́ang hŏi sùan yaai sŏi-lí́ang-mĕe

ยาย สี เลี้ยง หอย ฟ้อง ยาย สอยเลี้ยงหมี ว่า

yaai sĕe lí́ang hŏi fóng yaai sŏi-lí́ang-mĕe wâa

หมี ของ ยาย สอย มา กัด หอย ของ ยาย สี

mĕe kŏng yaai sŏi maa gàt hŏi kŏng yaai sĕe

แต่ ยาย สอย ที่ เลี้ยงหมี ปฏิเสธ

dtàe yaai sŏi têe lí́ang-mĕe bpà-dtì-sèt

และ ฟ้อง กลับ ยาย สี เลี้ยง หอย ว่า

láe fóng glàp yaai sĕe lí́ang hŏi wâa

หอย ของ ยาย สี กัด หมี ของ ยาย สอย ต่างหาก

hŏi kŏng yaai sĕe gàt mĕe kŏng yaai sŏi dtàang hàak

พร้อมกับ อ้างว่า ที่ ปาก หมี ของ ยาย สอย

próm gàp âang-wâa têe bpàak mĕe kŏng yaai sŏi

ไม่มี หอย ของ ยาย สี ให้ เห็น เลย

mâi mee hŏi kŏng yaai sĕe hâi hĕn loie

ตรงกันข้าม มี หลัก ฐาน ว่า

dtrong gan kâam mee làk tăan wâa

ที่ ปาก หอย ของ ยาย สี นั้น กลับ มี ขน หมี ของ ยาย สอย ติด อยู่

têe bpàak hŏi kŏng yaai sĕe nán glàp mee kŏn mĕe kŏng yaai sŏi dtìt yòo

จะ วินิจฉัย ยังไง ก็ ว่า กัน ไป แล้ว กัน นะ

jà wí-nít-chăi yang ngai gôr wâa gan bpai láew gan ná

I found it - couresy of Khun Yoot

The term "new word" or "คำใหม่" in the title merely refers to a word that is not already included in the last edition of the hardcover "Royal Institute Dictionary of the Thai Language." The new text has many, many old words, such as my favorite, "ไข่ลวก".

Don't forget about ผลไม้! Can't believe that one slipped through the cracks for 50 years..

• 2 weeks later...
Ok here's another one that's probably not in any dictionaries. เงาะ i.e. a rambutan to describe a person. It may mean a person who is not good-looking but has a good heart, like a rambutan, not pretty on the outside but beautiful within. Can anyone confirm my dodgy understanding?

I've heard that the term hua เงาะ is a derogatory term for southern Thais who have curly hair. This term is usually used to describe southern Thais of Malay origin and it's not really politically correct.

I've never heard this 'Pai dor?' to mean 'Pai nai?' Are you sure it's not 'Pai tor?'
I've already asked them what it means and they say its the same as bpai nai.

I have also heard on more than one occasion "Bpai nai dtor?" ไปไหนต่อ Which I have always taken to mean "Where are you going next?" For example, I not too long ago stopped into the German restaurant on Sukhumvit Soi 11 just to have one quick drink then leave as I had things to do. I struck up a short conversation with the young woman behind the bar while I quickly finished my drink. Upon asking for the bill she replied ไปไหนต่อ as if to be asking 'Where's your next stop?" Which I guess, has pretty much the same meaning as ไปไหน but not quite so general. Remember ไปไหน can also be used as a general term for "hello" or สวัสคี. Whereas ไปไหนต่อ would be asking more specifically "(Exactly) Where are you going?"

back to the original post..

Often my students, my colleagues and my girlfriend use new terms that have not yet made it to the dictionary. A new one is "gek lor" เก็กหล่อ? I think it may mean something like narcissistic. Can anyone shed any light?

I happened to find the YouTube video of the TV ad that came to mind when I saw this thread. It's a visual (although admittedly exaggerated) example of เก็กหล่อ-ing:

I was on the BTS the other day eavesdropping on the thais, when a young(er) thai guy next to me got a call on his mobile. It was clear from the number of times he said จ๊ะ and the female voice heard faintly on the other end of the call he was talking to either his g/f or possibly his daughter.

At the end of the conversation he said what sounded like; รักนะเด็กโง่ คิดถึงนะ

I understand the 'miss you' part, but does the other part translate into something like; "love you silly child"? Could it be a term of slang endearment?

I had just never heard it before and was wondering....

• 1 year later...

You heard right -- รักนะเด็กโง่ is a pretty common playful expression of affection. Perhaps comparable in sentiment to something like "I love the sh*t out of you." Odd if taken literally, but if uttered to the right person, of the right generation, could be both amusing and genuinely endearing. :)

Out of interest I tried searching รักนะเด็กโง่ and มาจากไหน. Seems like a fairly commonly asked question in Thai. The following (very short) wiki article suggests it may come from Chinese film/TV, where เด็กโง่ frequently appears in a similar affectionate role (I'm guessing possibly as the translation of the Mandarin term "ben dan", literally "stupid egg"). Either that or the English "fool".

http://th.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E0%B8%A3%E0...%B8%87%E0%B9%88

Edited by aanon