Canadian tourist attacked in Pattaya

rooster59

Canadian tourist attacked in Pattaya
Thaivisa Reporters

post-137452-0-46326400-1457768331_thumb.

Dissatisfied bar worker aims flying kicks at injured Canadian tourist and police in middle of Pattaya police station.

PATTAYA: At five am Saturday morning good Samaritans took Mr Darryll John McKinnon,43,to the Pattaya police station after an altercation that left him with blood streaming from a head wound sustained in the area of Angel's Place Bar at Pattaya Soi 7, sub district Nong Preu, Banglamung, Chonburi.

On receiving the report investigating office Somkit Sithisart of the Pattaya police went to the scene of the incident after contacting rescue foundation officials who tended the victim.

Primary care staff tending the victim found him in a bad way with a massive head wound from a large sharp object, many slash wounds to his body and a considerable amount of blood. Police found a bar worker and took him to the station where he was treated for a leg wound. However the worker continued causing trouble trying to assault the hapless tourist and even kicked out at police trying to restrain him in the middle of the station though no further injuries were recorded.

Further investigation revealed that staff claimed that Mr McKinnon, who had suffered the serious injury, had refused to pay for alcohol consumed in the bar. He tried to run away, they said, and when confronted the situation escalated. The identity of the user of the weapon was not confirmed.

Investigating officer Somkit detained all concerned for further questioning while the Canadian tourist was taken to hospital for urgent treatment of his injuries. Police will follow up enquiries with the victim so that the perpetrators of the attack are brought to justice in another attack very harmful to Pattaya's tourism industry.

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-12

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A stupid move to try and get out of paying for drinks. If I tried to steal from Thais in this way I would expect the same treatment.

I really like the Thai style of getting a bill rather than having to pay for every single drink every single time you buy one like in pubs in other countries, where you have to wait at the bar to be served, then wait for the waiter to pour your drinks and then pay for your drinks and then have to wait again for your change.

If idiot farangs keep behaving like this it will ruin it for everyone. A couple of Canadian girls tried it in a go go a couple of weeks ago and I have personally seen it many times. Come on a holiday to Thailand and steal from the locals. Scummy.

So what's the charges for attacking cops and foreign tourists in a police station. Hope this bar gets shut down as a result. We don't know all the details yet, would be interesting to hear the side the Canadian victim gives as to what he was attacked with, and if his bill was disputed and simply not paid for. A lot of the tourist areas have bars that are known to inflate the bills on the sly.

A stupid move to try and get out of paying for drinks. If I tried to steal from Thais in this way I would expect the same treatment.

I really like the Thai style of getting a bill rather than having to pay for every single drink every single time you buy one like in pubs in other countries, where you have to wait at the bar to be served, then wait for the waiter to pour your drinks and then pay for your drinks and then have to wait again for your change.

If idiot farangs keep behaving like this it will ruin it for everyone. A couple of Canadian girls tried it in a go go a couple of weeks ago and I have personally seen it many times. Come on a holiday to Thailand and steal from the locals. Scummy.

Would not surprise me to find that you have got it totally around the wrong way. Most likely the bar, as frequently usual, tried to charge him for drinks he never had.

Guess you like being beaten up and throwing your money away, I don't. When I run a tab in a bar I do not 'trust' then I make sure I read and initial every tab before it goes in the pot. No signature no pay, many organised bars do it with no problems.

Whilst I agree with Roomuck on the efficiency of using a tab or bin, it is open to abuse by unscrupulous bar owners, so we will have to wait and see why He did not pay the bill. 5 AM though.....late night or early morning ?

500 baht fine each and sweep it under the carpet quickly.

Why should the Thai who made the citizens arrest of a fleeing, drunken, foreign thief be fined?

And to those who will be claiming the "another final nail in the Thai tourism industry" I reckon that this Pattaya Soi 7 punter WILL be back and won't be put off from returning to Thailand. He will have second thoughts about doing a bill runner next time though.

And even if he doesn't ever return, I don't think any Thais will miss him anyway.

A few years back a workmate and his Thai wife were in a Pattaya Bar. As he ordered his last drink, the waiter asked to pay out the bin so the waiter could go home. My friend did. Then he and his wife continued to leisurely finish their last drink.

When it was time to leave the remaining staff insisted the bin had not been paid. Possibly the waiter pocketed the money and went home. At any rate , my friend insisted he had already paid and ended up having a brawl with 5-6 Thais. He got his licks in but at a cost. He received a beating

Moral of the story - don't pay until you are ready to leave.

I like the suggestion about checking each bill and initialling it.

...you take the word of a dreg that tried to kill someone....

...why not find out how much they tried to charge him first.....

...a visiting friend recently paid a 1000 baht tab for a steak......

...what are you going to do all alone.....

...that is the whole point of these charades time and again....

....and then ....'Pay up or else'.....

As you people may guess by my name i have an interest in a bar in Pattaya.

I can say i have seen both sides of this here are a couple of examples.

Seen guys run out of the bar yes run trying to escape paying their bills.

Also when brought back into the bar to pay the bill, either caught by one of the ladies or a motorbike taxi friend. (Must bars have them).

This certain certain guy continued arguing and shouting about everything but his bill, he then went to use the toilet which he continued to smash the toilet cistern and pan. Anyway to save him from a beating from the ladies that he was verbally abusing all the time, the police were called.

He was then ordered by the police to pay 4,000 baht which he did, his initial bar bill was less than 1,000 Baht.

We also had a regular who was caught taking tickets out of his bin and putting them into his pocket, so the ladies just showed him the play back on the camera and then he paid up for all the missing tickets that night.

I have also been to other bars where i have seen some staff putting and extra ticket in my bin, then it's time to drink up pay the extra 70 baht for thee beer i never got and never return.

Anyway just anyone can pay for a drink every time or use the bin, it is entirely up to the individual.

Also if anyone does get a problem then just ask to look at the CCTV, all bars have to have it installed by law.

Here's hoping none of you end up in his situation hit-the-fan.gif.

Stay safe and enjoy the good life while you can.

Seems a convenient excuse that all these horrible tourists refuse to pay for their drinks, I'm sure that's why they throw themselves off the balcony when they get home, suffering from a guilty conscience....<deleted>

Seems to be a common excuse for a violent attack on tourists.

Pay when served ... problem solved.

The problem is any touristy town has dickheads, both non thais and thais, add to boozing till 5am,and one gets trouble. will the cops shut the bar for selling alcohol at 5am, ????

Dept collection a la Thai.

In civilized countries the bilk is hold on until police arrives.

Here the bilk is bloody beaten and then wait for police.

If the foreigner didn't start the violence then there is NO excuse for such behavior.

Close the drinking hole and sent the scumbags to sugar cane harvest.

Helping hands are needed.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Or perhaps they tried to overcharge him for drinks he didn't order. OR maybe he only thought he was being overcharged. Either way I don't think it's fair to say "idiot farang" and automatically take sides with the guy who slashed the victim with a beer bottle, then starting kicking him in the police station, then proceeded to start kicking the police. That's the kind of thing someone does when they're on amphetamines. He doesn't sound like a very stable person honestly.

Police found a bar worker and took him to the station where he was treated for a leg wound

Is the "worker" this petite grace in green dress on the picture?

Even from behind I bet: 100% "ladyboy".

Again.

Edited by KhunBENQ

As you people may guess by my name i have an interest in a bar in Pattaya.

I can say i have seen both sides of this here are a couple of examples.

Seen guys run out of the bar yes run trying to escape paying their bills.

Also when brought back into the bar to pay the bill, either caught by one of the ladies or a motorbike taxi friend. (Must bars have them).

This certain certain guy continued arguing and shouting about everything but his bill, he then went to use the toilet which he continued to smash the toilet cistern and pan. Anyway to save him from a beating from the ladies that he was verbally abusing all the time, the police were called.

He was then ordered by the police to pay 4,000 baht which he did, his initial bar bill was less than 1,000 Baht.

We also had a regular who was caught taking tickets out of his bin and putting them into his pocket, so the ladies just showed him the play back on the camera and then he paid up for all the missing tickets that night.

I have also been to other bars where i have seen some staff putting and extra ticket in my bin, then it's time to drink up pay the extra 70 baht for thee beer i never got and never return.

Anyway just anyone can pay for a drink every time or use the bin, it is entirely up to the individual.

Also if anyone does get a problem then just ask to look at the CCTV, all bars have to have it installed by law.

Here's hoping none of you end up in his situation hit-the-fan.gif.

Stay safe and enjoy the good life while you can.

So this guy deserves a beating for not paying his bill then do you think? How about press charges for theft and vandalism. I hope your mates' bar gets shut down. Just because someone tries to do a runner, doesn't mean they deserve to end up in the hospital really does it? Like you say, use the CCTV and put his mugshot on display if needs be.

How about train your hired muscle to just restrain the guy rather than batter them. Probably a better business model I'd have thought as your mate's bar is probably going to cop a lot of flack now for damaging the stellar image of Pattaya haha