Problems after car was fixed under insurance...need advice

tuffy

So 10 months ago the wife was T boned in an intersection (not deemed her fault).

The car was pretty banged up but the insurance company insisted on reconstructing it.

We just got it back and there are so many things wrong i don't even know where to start.

Everything from electronics to wrong model parts, bad air leaks through the door seals, bad steering etc.

What are my options, what recourse do I have against the body shop / insurance?

I would really appreciate hearing from some of you members who have went through something like this.

Yup- I would be on to the insurance company every day until they do something about it. After all, they insisted to fix the car, and probably specified the shop that did the shoddy work.

Just curious- was it a dealership service that did the work, or third party shop?

it was a private garage in Rayong.... i will be sure to get the name and post it later. It was a big very professional looking place terrible service though.

Might be better to send this info via PM to those interested. To ensure that you do not Violate this Forum Rule -

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

You open both yourself and Thai Visa to criminal charges if the info is in the public domain. PM means Private Message.

it was a private garage in Rayong.... i will be sure to get the name and post it later. It was a big very professional looking place terrible service though.

sorry but doesn't insurance only allow original dealers to fix your car? I only had minor things I got fixed under insurance (scratches, small damage to screen etc) and I always went to a Toyota dealer. I don't think e insurance would approve a private garage to fix it somewhere.

That was the plan to sell it but like I said it is in bad shape I can only imagine it would take a hit at the used car scammer i mean dealer.

What I hope is I can have it repaired at least to the point I can sell it at a reasonable price. After 10 months, I have to just shake my head and mutter under my breath T I T

I don't need the name - and as Seedy the Mod says, posting it on the open forum would be naming and shaming / defamation.

I was just curious about how your insurance company handled it, with genuine dealer service or third party shop.

Our policy specifies dealer service for the car. I have always believed that dealer service is better, and would use genuine factory parts.

I agree with others about getting rid of the car when it is returned to you, especially if the damage is as bad as you say and the unit body frame has been damaged and straightened. It is like a beer can: once it has been crushed it will never be straight again, and will fold easily along the same creases next time.

While you are shopping for a new car, I'd be looking for a new insurance company too.

When we purchased the insurance I made sure it was first class...but apparently there was an option for dealer repair or 3rd party repair and I chose 3rd party...(which I wasn't informed about)...lesson learned.

Anyway we'll see how the insurance company handles this in the next few days...but if they refuse to repair it properly I need to know what my options are.

apparently there was an option for dealer repair or 3rd party repair and I chose 3rd party...(which I wasn't informed about)...lesson learned.

Interesting lesson indeed.... I wonder if they would have written the car off if they were facing a more expensive dealer service vs. the cheapest / crappiest third party they could find.

Dealer service is something that I will always check and specify on insurance policies from now on.

There is no requirement for an original dealer to make the repairs, in fact some of the insurance companies do not like to use them as they are far to costly. If you are with a foreign company then write to their head office addressed to the CEO, if you are with a Thai company then you can write direct to the insurance ombudsman with copy to the repair shop, works wonders.

When I bought a 1st class insurance for my Avanza (for the second year, the first year was included when I got the car), I changed the insurance company. They offered repair in a "free" garage or at a Toyota shop. Since I had some bad experience with those repair amateurs with my previous car, I went for the Toyota option. The premium was 2,000 Baht more per year than for the Somchai repair option...

Does not matter if the dealer is good or not at body work and other things.

with some accident is is impossible to repair the car due to the metal and materials.

Have had severals cars that did have had major accident in europe and Us.

all repaired and after the major accident but some just not drive as before.

The insurance company sis responsible for the repair and they are the people you should address with this issue.

if not than sell or have a the customer protection people look into it.

Edited by Autonuaq

more information about the laws that apply when buying things see link.

http://www.thailawforum.com/database1/ConsumerProtecting-law.html

Consumer protection Act,
B.E. 2522 (1979)
BHUMIBOL ADULYADEJ, REX.,
Given on the 30th day of April B.E 2522;
Being the 34th Year of the Present Reign.

Section 3. In this Act:“Purchase” includes hire, hire-purchase or acquire by whatever means for monetary consideration or other value;“Sale” includes let, sell by hire-purchase or procure by whatever means, for which monetary consideration or other value is demanded, and also includes offer or invitation to do as afore said;

“Goods” means articles produced or possessed for sale;

“Service” Means an undertaking to accomplish a work, grant of any right or permission to use or conferring benefit in any property or business, for which monetary consideration or other value is demanded, excluding hire of services under the labour laws;

“Produce” means manufacture, mix, prepare, assemble, invent or denature, and includes transform, modify , select or divide for repackaging;

“Consumer”** mean a person who buy or obtains services from a business man or a person who has been offered or invited by a businessman to purchase goods or obtain services and includes a person who duly uses good or a person who duly obtains services from a businessman even he/she is not a person who pays the remuneration

Section 4 The consumer has the following right of protection:
(1) the right to receive correct and sufficient information and description as to the quality of goods or services;
(2) the right to enjoy freedom in the choice of goods or service
(3) the right to expect safety in the use of goods or services;
“(3 bis) the right to receive a fair contract”**
(4) the right to have the injury considered and compensated in accordance with the laws on such matters or with the provision of this Act

Edited by seedy
font

I feel for OP and had 1st class insurance but lapse in looking what I got for it but l was lucky minor damage a good fix still sold it though. biggrin.png

My option opinion :-

What sounds like a right off in western standards has been fixed, not unusual.

Readdress the insurers which reads that you have.

Take the car to be checked over, steering set up, alignment, lights etc at someone like who l would use 'Cockpit' for a written report.

If that checks out, one thing out of the way if not hand report to insurers.

In the long run no joy the lawyer route is next or see if it can be sold as it is.

Other than that there is the maybe private PM route. whistling.gif

Your only option is to get the insurance company out to check. If they try to mess you about get the Thai Consumer Protection people involved.

I contacted them about CTH. They promised an answer within a month and, over two months later, we've heard nothing. No different to the 'service' we got from CTH.

sorry but doesn't insurance only allow original dealers to fix your car? I only had minor things I got fixed under insurance (scratches, small damage to screen etc) and I always went to a Toyota dealer. I don't think e insurance would approve a private garage to fix it somewhere.

Always used the dealer to fix problems and the insurance has never been against that

Always used the dealer to fix problems and the insurance has never been against that

Not so, many insurance companies do not like the overcharging by original dealers and prefer to use local companies.

Not so, many insurance companies do not like the overcharging by original dealers and prefer to use local companies.

The insurance companies aren't bothered by any dealership 'overcharging' as they just increase the customers premium. That's why pretty much all insurance premiums for "dealer repair" versus "any garage repair" are 3000 to 5000 baht higher.

Dealer repairs typically take longer due to repairs not being the dealers primary line of business, not having the same resources as a regular repair shop and the need to outsource some aspects of a repair.

The savings of using the "any garage repair" option can be totally wiped out when the garage uses second-hand or fake parts for repairs or does a totally crap job such as in the OP's experience.

To sum it up, when buying car insurance, the lower premium and the fast repair always catches the inexperienced customers eye. Slower and more expensive is the better option IMHO.

Edited by NanLaew

I can see why Bangkok Insurance is so well spoken off after reading this. Where do they find these problems.?. Visa Rules dont realy allow the O.P. to tell his story concisely. I enjoy a good "Bleat", but Insurance Companies here have deprived me the pleasure.sad.png

• 2 weeks later...

So after a week the insurance company got back to me... At first they suggested having the same garage fix the problems which they found out was not an option for me. So far it looks like they are prepared to fix it. I'll update as it goes if anyone is interested.

So after a week the insurance company got back to me... At first they suggested having the same garage fix the problems which they found out was not an option for me. So far it looks like they are prepared to fix it. I'll update as it goes if anyone is interested.

And then get shot of it asap!

I almost got killed in my Pick up on my way to work on a Monday morning at six o' clock.

A speeding Kathoey in a pick, doing a red light up hit me sideways and I had very serious injuries, my pick up totally destroyed.

After about three months the car was brought to the worst garage I've ever seen in my life in a town in Sisaket province, where the whole car was redone, including cab, etc...

It took over a year that i got it back with so many strange problems that I was worried to drive with my wife, or son. Okay, I drove to Mitsubishi, they lifted the car up and what we saw was terrible.

Brakes had many problems, the steering very serious and many issues, the whole chassis wasn't straight, you could even see it with your own eyes. The whole steering is attached with three 8 mm screws and nuts on a rubber socket.

The rubber socket was so done that only one screw was holding the whole steering.

Would I list all the problems now, it would fill a whole page, so I'm making it short. I called the insurance guys and even they could see the frame and chassis, parts of the steering completely out of order. It was clear to me that the car wouldn't go back to the shitty garage.

They're even trying to steal my front and rear bumper, something special you can't buy anymore and my 12 CD changer, etc....

We finally came to an agreement that Mitsubishi would do the same work again, once more the whole car totally in parts. The two months they told me became six months and when I finally got it back ( after claiming many things that were finally done) I went to a shop to get alignment done.

The mechanic called me to have a look at the steering system and five !!! ball joints were completely out of order, i could pull one out with a screw driver.....( imagine that thing hops out when you're driving....)

That was the first time in Thailand when I really lost my temper and asked ( shouting) the foreman why such very important issues were not fixed. The answer freaked me out, he said that nobody gave the order to fix it?

It took another four weeks and I had to pay some ball joints out of my own pocket. But the damage to the ball joints/ steering system was done through the high speed impact which pushed my car sideways for about 20 meters...

I was basically about 18 months without my car and the only thing you can do is to go to the garage where you bought your car and let them check all parts that don't work, are not genuine, do not work, etc...

i wish you best of luck, i guess you know that you shouldn't lose your temper. Try to stay calm and if possible take a Thai with you who's a big shot somewhere. At this time my wife's uncle had been the boss of the transportation department which helped a lot.

Would I have been alone, i don't think that things would have been done the same way. When my wife's uncle phoned them, things really happened. Nobody gave a flying kangaroo when I called them.

I must have wasted a lot of money for gasoline and phone calls to check on my car twice. A nightmare times 1000.

Please report back. Cheers- facepalm.gif

P.S. Attached photo from the first and "superb" garage

post-158336-0-81360600-1459088482_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

Please read my post and talk to your insurance. What brand is the car? Do they also make body work at the dealership in your city?

If it's done by them, they'll do all to satisfy you. Just make sure that the car isn't going back to the first place. Best of luck.