Chinese in campervans spark frustration in Thailand

rooster59

TAT has yet to solve one of the worst problems they create(d): the total opposition between, on the one hand, record a maximum number of 'tourists' for the statistics, their massive budgets and huge salaries/expenses are based on, just pass incoming border control for 1 minute and, click, one more 'tourist' you are (I was told even transiting airline passengers would be recorded as 'tourists'?), and, on the other hand, generate as high as possible revenues per capita from '(quality?) tourists to please the industry they in fact depend of... In my country we say: 'you can't have the butter and the money from the butter', but as that seems to be the general attitude here, one can't consider TAT as an isolated rotten apple, ...or still?

(In a more general sense, in depth, the ingrained xhenophobic and racist attitude of Thais, combined with their (rammed-in from kindergarten on) sense of superiority, are not an ideal 'cocktail' to serve to foreigners, 'tourists' and others, the more so that the fabled 'Thai smile' seems, IMO, to be waning...)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't farmers convert their parched fields into camper parks?

Don't worry, eventually someone will do this and everyone with land will copy them.

Question is, how long before anyone figures out there is money to be made here?

Look when the market demands places to stay other than hotels Maybe offer more places other than hotels With attractions that showcase Thai culture. If you build it they will come. I happen to own a KOA camp ground stateside in California Which I employ several people to operate it brings in a lot of cash each month.

"As a result, Thai motorists involved in accidents with Chinese vehicles find it difficult to claim damages, says Mr Manop Sae-jia, the president of a tour guide association called Care Lanna Guide Community based in neighbouring Chiang Mai province." What if the Chinese want to claim against the Thai driver who ran into them? No mention of that just about the Thai's claiming

Tourists accused of parking in inappropriate places amid rising safety fears and traffic woes

That's truly rich to hear a Thai accusing non-Thais of inappropriate parking since Thais park anywhere and everywhere they want---it's one of the things that make Thai roads so dangerous.

Just as the broken down car seems to be a significant factor in the bus/ truck collision ..... Just stop anywhere, she'll be right!

What the Thai (TAT) want is ignorant foreigners who pay'n'pay'n'pay, don't open their mouth, don't speak a strange (annoying) foreign language such as Angkrit (arai na?), don't bargain, don't ask difficult questions (eg. excuse me, is it left or right?), smile constantly and leave 100.000thb poorer after 2-3 weeks MAX. thumbsup.gif

Edited by stickylies

This is a mojor news event!

"Tourists accused of parking in inappropriate places amid rising safety fears and traffic woes"

Thailand is now concerned about traffic safety!

What's next?

​Police officers enforcing traffic laws?

I doubt it.

Thailand would not like losing their long held #2 rating for traffic fatalities in the world.

They are still striving to reach the #1 position.

Look when the market demands places to stay other than hotels Maybe offer more places other than hotels With attractions that showcase Thai culture. If you build it they will come. I happen to own a KOA camp ground stateside in California Which I employ several people to operate it brings in a lot of cash each month.

Come on, be honest.

If you are from California, like me,

you know most RV campers camp in the parking lot at the WalMart stores.

Plenty of room to park and turn around, right next to their favorite store to buy cheap Chinese made crap.

WalMart doesn't mind and almost encourages it.

It's good for business.

It has developed into a culture of it's own.

Lawnchairs, beer, hot dogs on the grill and lost of trailer trash to socialize with. ( and drug dealers to!)

The WalMart RV culture.

They're voting for Trump!

Maybe all Thailand needs to solve this problem is WalMart!

Edited by willyumiii

Thais have become accustomed to stepping over Chinese droppings...but now...they must navigate and entire RV do-do holding tank dropped on a road near you...

And where do all the Thai "poo" trucks, emptying septic tanks dump their loads? Try not to think about it while eating your locally grown fruit whistling.gif

Edited by MESmith

U only have to be present in a hotel lobby when a bus load of quality arrives , Armageddon comes to mind...................................coffee1.gif

You should see some of the yobs who turn up in Spain and Cyprus. That's when you notice that the locals would love to kick out certain tourists.

Been there, seen that, don't make me say f.i. Russian, Arabic or Israëli tourists are pleasant holiday neighbours, but Chinese from organised tours span the crown IMO, and alas far from only in the resorts where they stay...

Beachroad in Pattaya is overlloaded with buses full chinese tourists...and when they come out of the buss they act like a herd of sheep who will run over you.

But today there were no buses full chinese and pattaya was empty....

U only have to be present in a hotel lobby when a bus load of quality arrives , Armageddon comes to mind...................................coffee1.gif

You should see some of the yobs who turn up in Spain and Cyprus. That's when you notice that the locals would love to kick out certain tourists.

Been there, seen that, don't make me say f.i. Russian, Arabic or Israëli tourists are pleasant holiday neighbours, but Chinese from organised tours span the crown IMO, and alas far from only in the resorts where they stay...

Beachroad in Pattaya is overlloaded with buses full chinese tourists...and when they come out of the buss they act like a herd of sheep who will run over you.

But today there were no buses full chinese and pattaya was empty....

I drove down beach road today, and not quite empty, noted the same old western men in wife beaters trying to negotiate a cheap rate with some rather heavily tatooed young "ladies" on the "beach" side of the road

I think a bit of gloating is due to the fact that Thailand has been dismissing falling western spending and tourist complaints of not getting a fair deal with the all-encompassing broad statements they made, that it didn't matter as they had the new breed of tourist classes from China and that they would be concentrating on their Chinese and in fact, Russian tourists.

Much as though there may be low spending tourists from the West living on 10,000 baht - 20,000 baht a month as some poster mentions, I believe there are a lot more who have fuelled the economy well in terms of buying condos, houses for girlfriends and wives, the auto industry and generally the shopping, gold shops and phone shops included etc. Plenty of the houses in Isaarn and agricultural vehicles have been bought by westerners.

I do not feel either the Chinese nor the Russians will be as forthcoming in sharing their wealth.They tend to bring their wives and families with them.

People seem to stuff this up all the time. if your living here your not a tourist are you? I don't know whether people that live here or retire here on a shoestring budget are good for Thailand or not, but they definitely aren't spending and they are definitely not tourists

I think a bit of gloating is due to the fact that Thailand has been dismissing falling western spending and tourist complaints of not getting a fair deal with the all-encompassing broad statements they made, that it didn't matter as they had the new breed of tourist classes from China and that they would be concentrating on their Chinese and in fact, Russian tourists.

Much as though there may be low spending tourists from the West living on 10,000 baht - 20,000 baht a month as some poster mentions, I believe there are a lot more who have fuelled the economy well in terms of buying condos, houses for girlfriends and wives, the auto industry and generally the shopping, gold shops and phone shops included etc. Plenty of the houses in Isaarn and agricultural vehicles have been bought by westerners.

I do not feel either the Chinese nor the Russians will be as forthcoming in sharing their wealth.They tend to bring their wives and families with them.

People seem to stuff this up all the time. if your living here your not a tourist are you? I don't know whether people that live here or retire here on a shoestring budget are good for Thailand or not, but they definitely aren't spending and they are definitely not tourists

The expat segment that might be less obvious are the ones buying homes for 5 to 20 million baht, buying SUV's, and very much supporting the economy. It is not likely you will find them in the bars, nor stumbling down Walking Street. They will be out on the golf course, or having a nice family meal.

these tourist bring their own accomodation ..... no no ..... come on and stay at the marriot and spend some of those Yuan !!! blink.png

Some actually do bring their own caravans, tents, supplies and even buy mama noodles to boil themselves, regularly see them sitting outside 7/11 drinking cans of cheap beer... :)

I wouldn't be surprised if the tourism sector didn't get as much cash as they predicted from these budget travellers..

The point of the article seems to be lost in the usual tirade of Chinese bashers

The policeman made a lovely narration of bringing food and then having a jamming session enjoying it with a lovely couple and their kid.

You don't do that if the person is obnoxious !

For every spitting crazy Chinese ( I'm not a big fan and yes I'm Chinese too) , there are lots of gentle souls who are great and really love Thailand and behave very very politely.

The litmus test will be the current generation in their 20s and their children to come ....the Chinese would be out in full force of manners

In the meantime , there are tons of polite Chinese ....seek them out and have a cultural exchange you will find it fulfilling

I hosted an American Friend in 3 Chinese cities last week and he is a typical mid west TOP executive of a USA company ....he came with his own notions of China and brought an armband of fears

He left telling me after 6 days he is amazed ...just amazed at the kindness and sophistication of the Chinese he has met ...and yes he was impressed by the high speed trains too

Tell that to my wife. We spend over Baht 200,000 a month for me the wife and two daughters

MESmith, on 13 Mar 2016 - 09:24, said:MESmith, on 13 Mar 2016 - 09:24, said:MESmith, on 13 Mar 2016 - 09:24, said:
ggt, on 13 Mar 2016 - 07:38, said:ggt, on 13 Mar 2016 - 07:38, said:ggt, on 13 Mar 2016 - 07:38, said:

Thais have become accustomed to stepping over Chinese droppings...but now...they must navigate and entire RV do-do holding tank dropped on a road near you...

And where do all the Thai "poo" trucks, emptying septic tanks dump their loads? Try not to think about it while eating your locally grown fruit whistling.gif

Farmers in America are happy to haul away sludge from sewage treatment plants to spread in their fields...they say it smells like money...

Edited by ggt

The point of the article seems to be lost in the usual tirade of Chinese bashers

The policeman made a lovely narration of bringing food and then having a jamming session enjoying it with a lovely couple and their kid.

You don't do that if the person is obnoxious !

For every spitting crazy Chinese ( I'm not a big fan and yes I'm Chinese too) , there are lots of gentle souls who are great and really love Thailand and behave very very politely.

The litmus test will be the current generation in their 20s and their children to come ....the Chinese would be out in full force of manners

In the meantime , there are tons of polite Chinese ....seek them out and have a cultural exchange you will find it fulfilling

I hosted an American Friend in 3 Chinese cities last week and he is a typical mid west TOP executive of a USA company ....he came with his own notions of China and brought an armband of fears

He left telling me after 6 days he is amazed ...just amazed at the kindness and sophistication of the Chinese he has met ...and yes he was impressed by the high speed trains too

The funny thing about some of these posts is the Thai Visa regulars are always slagging off the Thais for being xenophobic and racist, but yet here we have middle aged/old white westerners behalving in exactly the same manner when it comes to the Chinese, Russians or anybody else.